Logo

The DDR Research Master Thread - UPDATED 5-21-2019: Some Arcade MAX-era Engine Notes Added

Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #21 · Posted at 2015-05-23 10:29:39pm 4.2 years ago

Offline travelsonic
travelsonic Avatar Member
135 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18
Log in to send this user a private message
Steam: terminalcancer
I dunno how likely that is gonna be, had my copies of MAX2, EXTREME, etc for some time, ripped from them a cople with little adverse effect... now, using my SwapMagic disks, since for some reason the disk is not pressed perfectly, and is a bitch to get on right/spin properly... that's another story XD

Post #22 · Posted at 2015-05-23 10:56:20pm 4.2 years ago

Offline AxelWasHere
AxelWasHere Avatar Member
1,068 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-07-13
Log in to send this user a private message
Nintendo Network ID: AxelDiedLOLSteam: bright151Origin: GunsGoPEWPEW3DS Friend Code: 1908-2302-2382Game Center Nickname: [Rynon]CROSS×BEATS User ID: Axel573GREE Username: bright151
Quote: travelsonic
I dunno how likely that is gonna be, had my copies of MAX2, EXTREME, etc for some time, ripped from them a cople with little adverse effect... now, using my SwapMagic disks, since for some reason the disk is not pressed perfectly, and is a bitch to get on right/spin properly... that's another story XD

..Happened to me too. I eventually had to softmod my ps2 with swap magic xD
https://i.warosu.org/data/jp/img/0155/42/1468622735243.gif

Post #23 · Posted at 2015-05-24 02:31:42am 4.2 years ago

Offline bmhedgehog
bmhedgehog Avatar Banned+
3,136 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-07-13
Log in to send this user a private message
"BANNED"
Now if I were to do this. Would I be able to add any song (import from anywhere, like a simfile for example) or just the songs from the games themselves (like when you transplanted Max.(PERIOD) from Extreme (JP) into Max 2 (JP))?
Is burning in hell for being a "homophobe" and being a believer in Christ. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DImwWB0UMAAt1R9.jpghttps://mk0geekspinexfjuv770.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/bowsette-758x582.png

Post #24 · Posted at 2015-05-24 02:54:26am 4.2 years ago

Offline travelsonic
travelsonic Avatar Member
135 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18
Log in to send this user a private message
Steam: terminalcancer
**right now** just the music, but I want to make it so you can get steps - whether converting a simfile into the SSQ step format used in the PS2 titles, or copying them over from one DDR PS2 mix to another.

Post #25 · Posted at 2015-05-24 03:12:02am 4.2 years ago

Offline KittyBox
KittyBox Avatar Member
196 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-05-01
Log in to send this user a private message

Last updated: 2015-05-24 03:34am
Quote: AxelWasHere
I did this with Supernova2 JP and i found something.. Could it be a scrapped song..?

-snip-
Quote: travelsonic
Konami has a master list of songs in the ELF for each game, dunno why the hell they did that - look at the addresses following/proceeding it, if there are more ascii strigns with song names, then that's probably the find, otherwise it could be something else. My money is on it being that master list though. heh.
I both think it is and isn't the master song list.
IIRC, they only used abbreviations in the master song list (please correct me if I'm wrong though), but I'm also finding pretty much the same thing in MAX2 US; a bunch of labels referencing songs that shouldn't be referenced at any point in the code. I'll edit this later with a complete list of oddities so you can check SN2 JP again to find out if its the same songs.
EDIT: Before I do that I'd like to show you guys this find real quick.
http://i.imgur.com/ywTZdtw.png
MAX.(period) is referenced in US MAX2s code.

Post #26 · Posted at 2015-05-24 06:21:14am 4.2 years ago

Offline travelsonic
travelsonic Avatar Member
135 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18
Log in to send this user a private message
Steam: terminalcancer
Quote: KittyBox
Quote: AxelWasHere
I did this with Supernova2 JP and i found something.. Could it be a scrapped song..?

-snip-
Quote: travelsonic
Konami has a master list of songs in the ELF for each game, dunno why the hell they did that - look at the addresses following/proceeding it, if there are more ascii strigns with song names, then that's probably the find, otherwise it could be something else. My money is on it being that master list though. heh.
I both think it is and isn't the master song list.
IIRC, they only used abbreviations in the master song list (please correct me if I'm wrong though), but I'm also finding pretty much the same thing in MAX2 US; a bunch of labels referencing songs that shouldn't be referenced at any point in the code. I'll edit this later with a complete list of oddities so you can check SN2 JP again to find out if its the same songs.
EDIT: Before I do that I'd like to show you guys this find real quick.
http://i.imgur.com/ywTZdtw.png
MAX.(period) is referenced in US MAX2s code.

Also interesting since both the U.S and J.P versions of MAX2 were released before DDR EXTREME (JP) was released.

Post #27 · Posted at 2015-05-24 09:19:56pm 4.2 years ago

Offline AxelWasHere
AxelWasHere Avatar Member
1,068 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-07-13
Log in to send this user a private message
Nintendo Network ID: AxelDiedLOLSteam: bright151Origin: GunsGoPEWPEW3DS Friend Code: 1908-2302-2382Game Center Nickname: [Rynon]CROSS×BEATS User ID: Axel573GREE Username: bright151

Last updated: 2015-05-24 09:21pm
Quote: KittyBox
Quote: AxelWasHere
I did this with Supernova2 JP and i found something.. Could it be a scrapped song..?

-snip-
Quote: travelsonic
Konami has a master list of songs in the ELF for each game, dunno why the hell they did that - look at the addresses following/proceeding it, if there are more ascii strigns with song names, then that's probably the find, otherwise it could be something else. My money is on it being that master list though. heh.
I both think it is and isn't the master song list.
IIRC, they only used abbreviations in the master song list (please correct me if I'm wrong though), but I'm also finding pretty much the same thing in MAX2 US; a bunch of labels referencing songs that shouldn't be referenced at any point in the code. I'll edit this later with a complete list of oddities so you can check SN2 JP again to find out if its the same songs.
EDIT: Before I do that I'd like to show you guys this find real quick.
http://i.imgur.com/ywTZdtw.png
MAX.(period) is referenced in US MAX2s code.

https://i.imgur.com/piqVVoz.png

Max.(Period) isn't here. i was checking it.
And Maximizer is in there when it came out in Extreme US CS.
https://i.warosu.org/data/jp/img/0155/42/1468622735243.gif

Post #28 · Posted at 2015-05-24 09:50:22pm 4.2 years ago

Offline BemaniHyper
BemaniHyper Avatar Member+
1,423 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-09-13
Log in to send this user a private message
"im airplane"
Quote: AxelWasHere
https://i.imgur.com/HrqjjnC.png

i will give you one million dollars if you can make "DICKS" come up on the songwheel

Post #29 · Posted at 2015-05-24 10:03:29pm 4.2 years ago

Offline Quickman
Quickman Avatar Member+
5,112 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2013-08-17
Log in to send this user a private messageTwitter: theQuick_ManSoundcloudTwitch
Xbox Gamer Tag: DWN012Quick ManPlayStation Network: DWN012Quick_Man
"go madden"

Last updated: 2015-05-25 04:34pm
Quote: AxelWasHere
https://i.imgur.com/mWJm61z.png


Someone make WHORE appear while they're at it.
Quote: donkey
why

Post #30 · Posted at 2015-05-24 11:45:21pm 4.2 years ago

Offline KittyBox
KittyBox Avatar Member
196 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-05-01
Log in to send this user a private message

Last updated: 2015-05-24 11:45pm
http://pastebin.com/MB0Pzfqe
Boom. Everything I found odd in MAX2 US's labels. Most are songs not in this mix, but there's a few other oddities as well. Eventually I'll get images posted up in case I missed something, but for now this should give a good idea.
A few notable things:
"drop3"
"dunk2"
"hyst3"
"kind3"
"MAX.(period)"
"Maximizer"
"nite3"
"tsug3"
"VELOCIDAD"
"wild3"
Club versions and step battle versions of songs.

It might be worth it to compare this list to other mixes.

Post #31 · Posted at 2015-05-25 08:04:27pm 4.2 years ago

Offline travelsonic
travelsonic Avatar Member
135 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18
Log in to send this user a private message
Steam: terminalcancer

Last updated: 2015-05-25 08:04pm
So in EXTREME JP, gamehacking.org member root670* found out where all the data is in the game's filedata.bin, the movies, sounds, images, step data, etc. There was one table following the step data, however, that he was still puzzled about, as was I. Couldn't be more step data, as all the entries for the game song step data are in the previous table.
Last night it hit me that it might be bakground movie script data (of all places, sitting on the toilet XD That really is the best place to do thinking... Tongue), so I tested it today, and so far that is looking right. In the game's filedata.bin, and I am suspecting it to be true in the other DDR mixes too, the BG movie scripts proceeds the step data.



*(if he is a member here, I'll remove the "gamehacking.org member" prefix where I mentioned him, stop adding it when mentioning him XD)

Damn, just realized, the nonstop songwheel slot music in EXTREME, originally from the 3rd Mix Nonstop menu, is not the only thing recycled from old games so far as menu music goes - the "How to Play" music from 1st Mix is also in the game... forgot where it was used... the realization hit me as I was messing with the preview music index in the song data definitions.

EDIT: Holy shit, the audio track used in 1st Mix for that movie that precedes the title screen itself is also in there.

EDIT HOLY SHIT, the preview music for "A MINUTE (Extended Mix)" - which was in MAX2 AC, but not in the C/S versions, is also in here... EX JP PS2... 0_o

EDIT: A video I made and uploaded to Youtube quickly:

Post #32 · Posted at 2015-05-26 12:54:55am 4.2 years ago

Offline AxelWasHere
AxelWasHere Avatar Member
1,068 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-07-13
Log in to send this user a private message
Nintendo Network ID: AxelDiedLOLSteam: bright151Origin: GunsGoPEWPEW3DS Friend Code: 1908-2302-2382Game Center Nickname: [Rynon]CROSS×BEATS User ID: Axel573GREE Username: bright151
Quote: travelsonic

EDIT HOLY SHIT, the preview music for "A MINUTE (Extended Mix)" - which was in MAX2 AC, but not in the C/S versions, is also in here... EX JP PS2... 0_o

Since that was the first song on DDRMax2 That comes up when you load in that loads.
DDRExtreme(JP) was built from DDRMax2 Exact same theme. thats probably why.
https://i.warosu.org/data/jp/img/0155/42/1468622735243.gif

Post #33 · Posted at 2015-05-26 01:15:52am 4.2 years ago

Offline supertoaster
supertoaster Avatar Member
36 Posts
United States
Reg. 2015-04-20
Log in to send this user a private messageSkype: becausewecant
"TELOS"

Last updated: 2015-05-26 01:19am
how did you analyze the filedata.bin?

EDIT: more like, how did you find the sound files and step charts
http://mmii.info/ico4/ddr_extremeLogo.gif http://mmii.info/ico4/ddr_3rdMixLogo.gif http://mmii.info/ico4/ddr_5thMixLogo.gif
http://mmii.info/ico4/ddr_MAXlogo.gifhttp://media.ign.com/boards/images/icons2/ddr_max2.gif Challenge me!


Post #34 · Posted at 2015-05-26 02:20:00am 4.2 years ago

Offline travelsonic
travelsonic Avatar Member
135 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18
Log in to send this user a private message
Steam: terminalcancer

Last updated: 2015-05-26 02:23am
Quote: AxelWasHere
Quote: travelsonic

EDIT HOLY SHIT, the preview music for "A MINUTE (Extended Mix)" - which was in MAX2 AC, but not in the C/S versions, is also in here... EX JP PS2... 0_o

Since that was the first song on DDRMax2 That comes up when you load in that loads.
DDRExtreme(JP) was built from DDRMax2 Exact same theme. thats probably why.

Well, Party Collection technically falls between MAX2 JP, and EXTREME JP. Tongue

Either way, I know that sometimes there are leftovers - I mean, the COMMING SOON banner, and songwheel graphic that has been spotted in EXTREME's leftovers was also in the MAXUS and MAX2 US demos, AND are in MAX2 JP. I am just not sure if sound data would necessarily be as likely to stick around, given how much more space it takes up. That, and I dunno if MAX2 JP was ever going to get A Minute - or if it were scrapped from that release, and formerly planned (something else to investigate Big Grin ) - plus, I'd think the engine would be built off of starting with MAX2 JP being built off of DDRMAX JP, as opposed to porting it over from the arcade with each iteration... unless I misunderstand what is being said. Tongue

Quote: supertoaster
how did you analyze the filedata.bin?

EDIT: more like, how did you find the sound files and step charts

Actually, the sound indexes I've been messing with, I stumbled across by accident. Turns out there was a word of data that IDA Pro seemed to miss... somehow... when analyzing the song data definitions that, when I messed with it in PCSX2DIS, changed the sound being played, which means said data references an index in an array, dictating which sound plays. I used that to map out the index, and the sound that corresponds to it, and then use that to find other, similar references in MAX2 JP at least, and find where different sounds were loaded.

Keep in mind, what I find is just an index in an array, have yet to find that data, and the specific addresses in the corresponding file(s) that the sounds are located at.

Post #35 · Posted at 2015-05-28 12:31:43pm 4.2 years ago

Offline CuzcoBlocko
CuzcoBlocko Avatar Member
2,736 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-10-26
Log in to send this user a private messageDiscord: Cuzco#4392
Hi... Have you located the missing movies in Aeron's BGMovie pack yet? I want to confirm something I may have been accidentally overlooking.

Post #36 · Posted at 2015-05-28 05:46:22pm 4.2 years ago

Offline travelsonic
travelsonic Avatar Member
135 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18
Log in to send this user a private message
Steam: terminalcancer
Quote: CuzcoBlocko
Hi... Have you located the missing movies in Aeron's BGMovie pack yet? I want to confirm something I may have been accidentally overlooking.

Pardon the lack of real progress lately, been busy with all sorts of stuff, including prepping to continue my college education. This as been on my mind, though. Big Grin

Now that I've found where the game's BG video scripts are stored in EXtREME at least, hopefully I'll be able to find them in other games, and figure out the formatting, after which I can see what is what. Big Grin

Post #37 · Posted at 2015-05-28 06:12:19pm 4.2 years ago

Offline DJ Tomoe
DJ Tomoe Avatar Member
822 Posts
Mexico
Reg. 2007-07-28
Log in to send this user a private messageTwitter: DJTomoeTumblr
CROSS×BEATS User ID: 50971939
"#Fashion #Glamour"
Is it possible to rip all of the game's images? Like the art of KONSENTO and ZUKIN in the Select A Style screen, the background of the credits where all the song names appear and the images of ENDLESS mode.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/JCLP/3cc8f927.png

Post #38 · Posted at 2015-05-29 12:15:03am 4.2 years ago

Offline travelsonic
travelsonic Avatar Member
135 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18
Log in to send this user a private message
Steam: terminalcancer

Last updated: 2015-05-29 12:19am
Quote: DJ Tomoe
Is it possible to rip all of the game's images? Like the art of KONSENTO and ZUKIN in the Select A Style screen, the background of the credits where all the song names appear and the images of ENDLESS mode.

Yes - You can use Textmod if your goal is to just have the files to use in, say, a Stepmania setting. Keep in mind, the red and blue channels are reversed in the output, so you have to open the image in something like GIMP, and use the channel mixer to reverse them and have the image in the correct colors. (When I learned about that, I was so happy, no more going "WTF WHY ARE THESE COLORS MESSED UP?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? "P )

Post #39 · Posted at 2015-05-29 03:52:00am 4.2 years ago

Offline fygar939
fygar939 Avatar Member
260 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-06-05
Log in to send this user a private messageDiscord: Strobe?Grill#5537
"Bandmeshi in DDR when"
Quote: travelsonic
The "How to Play" music from 1st Mix is also in the game... forgot where it was used...

I found a 2ndMix soundtrack video on YouTube and a commenter says it plays during the break stages in endless mode in DDRMAX2. Link to comment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnTl61WFZA
Rival Code on DDR A: 5141-1787 (ANKO.MDX)

Post #40 · Posted at 2015-05-29 04:06:22am 4.2 years ago

Offline travelsonic
travelsonic Avatar Member
135 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18
Log in to send this user a private message
Steam: terminalcancer
Wow, that's interesting


Oh, and Supertoaster, if you're still are interested in this thread, Someone who has been working with me on hacking DDR has figured out where the data is, and how the data is arranged, in EXTREME's filedata.bin.
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2019 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 2% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2019-08-24 08:02:54
This page took 0.012 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language