Stamina Limitations

Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2012-05-02 06:31:27am 11.9 years ago

Offline XeneSyS 87
XeneSyS 87 Avatar Member
710 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-04-17

Has anybody played DDR/ITG for so long to the point where you've reached a plateau and don't seem to be getting any better?

I have been stuck on 10-footers as my maximum difficulty for five/six years and to this day, and 10-footers are still really exhausting. I can pass Paranoia Survivor-Heavy, MAX300-Heavy, MAXX Unlimited-Heavy, FELM-Heavy (sometimes), Xepher-Challenge, Horatio-Heavy, just to name a few. But the problem is...I can't play after that (or at least need to take a long break). I want to be able to pass more 10's and move up to 11's (or 16-X Scale) someday.

From ITG, I can pass a few easy 11's (which should be 10's, IMO) such as Charlene, Robotix, and Mythology; and I can do plenty of ITG 10's. The most recent new 10's i've passed are Energizer-Heavy and I'm so Happy- Challenge (but I only got 868,000pts. on the latter).

I've tried endurance products such as Whey Protein, and it didn't do very much. One temporary solution that worked for me not too long ago was to mix water with MioEnergy Green Thunder and a pack of Power Pak Electrolytes. I was able to pass I'm So Happy-Challenge on DDR II that one time because of that drink.

Should I just practice more 10-footers (ones I haven't tried yet) to increase stamina? And this applies to both at home and the arcade. And for the record, my PA level is fairly good. I can AAA PFC 8 footers at home, and single-great some 8's on SuperNOVA arcade timing, but can't even AA a single, REAL 10-footer (MAX300 being the de facto standard for 10-footers). I know the low scores I get on 10's are due to a lack of foot speed and stamina, rather than having a low PA level.

Post #2 · Posted at 2012-05-02 06:57:25am 11.9 years ago

Offline warpdr!ve
warpdr!ve Avatar Member
339 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-09-15

"Fairy-nough"
If you want to improve your stamina, if you haven't done so already, trying doing all of the hard songs you can do consecutively. You should be able to pass The Legend of Max if you could pass Unlimited, so why don't you try passing all 3 Max songs in a row on your next arcade trip. Alternatively you could find some really streamy ITG customs to practice on (some of the older Basshunter 11s come to mind).

I do runs of 3 ITG 11-12s or DDR 16s-17s when I can and it really helped when I was trying to pass Vertex^2 and Summer for the first time. Of course, now I can't pass Pandemonium or custom ITG 14s, but I play mostly for scores now anyway. So in effect, yes, I have plateaued for the time being, but I'd say temporary blocks are very common anyway.
https://i.imgur.com/tWT2soq.png

Thanks to Lord Toon for the wonderful sig image!

If you'd like a review on a contest chart, PM me! (Reviews will probably be given on or around the Friday after the PM fyi.)

Post #3 · Posted at 2012-05-02 07:09:59am 11.9 years ago

Offline XeneSyS 87
XeneSyS 87 Avatar Member
710 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-04-17

I did do three 10-footers in a row once, but not in a nonstop course. It was a normal round. I think I did MAX300-Heavy, Energizer -Heavy and Sweet World-Challenge (my town only has one SM cab, no official DDR machines). And I was about to die after that. But you're right. I should start trying more two, three or even four 10's consecutively. 14's on X-Scale really tire me out too, but they aren't quite as bad. But for the moment, I can't think of a hard song that I REALLY want to pass right now. I was thrilled that I did pass I'm So Happy on Challenge last month at home (if that counts), despite the horrendous score.

As for i'm so happy, I could not keep up with the 16th runs at the middle of the song. I stepped like crazy just to keep my lifebar up. Tongue And I also do Horatio -Heavy to practice 16th trills. I easily lose beat during long 16th trill runs. Same goes with Across the Nightmare -Challenge and Ska a go go-Standard or Heavy. Sometimes I nail 16th trills on Horatio and get around 960,000; and other times I get in the 800,000's.

Practicing 16th trills I guess is a start.

Post #4 · Posted at 2012-05-02 07:18:14am 11.9 years ago

Offline warpdr!ve
warpdr!ve Avatar Member
339 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-09-15

"Fairy-nough"
An 86 on a first pass isn't horrible in the slightest. If you think it is, you can probably pass harder songs already and you don't realize it. And practicing your 16ths would be a good start, yes. I still stand by the marathon thing though. Does your sm machine have any of the Crazy Loop songs on it? They might achieve both of your goals to some extent at once.

If you'd like a review on a contest chart, PM me! (Reviews will probably be given on or around the Friday after the PM fyi.)

Post #5 · Posted at 2012-05-02 07:20:25am 11.9 years ago

Offline Greaf
Greaf Avatar Member
411 Posts
France
Reg. 2009-03-25

To improve your stamina : wake up early in the morning and run.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/User%20Names/Greaf.png
Thanks to Lord Toon !

Post #6 · Posted at 2012-05-02 07:26:19am 11.9 years ago

Offline XeneSyS 87
XeneSyS 87 Avatar Member
710 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-04-17

Quote: warpdr!ve
An 86 on a first pass isn't horrible in the slightest. If you think it is, you can probably pass harder songs already and you don't realize it. And practicing your 16ths would be a good start, yes. I still stand by the marathon thing though. Does your sm machine have any of the Crazy Loop songs on it? They might achieve both of your goals to some extent at once.

Keep in mind that I passed IsH on home-version timing and lifebar difficulty set to "normal". If I tried IsH on an X2 or X3 machine, I'd probably fail at about the halfway point due to the stricter timing. And the SM Cab I played on has it's Judgment difficulty on 4, so that's how I passed the three 10 footers (2 with "A" ranks, 1 with "B", don't remember which songs got which ranks).

I could also create my own course on CS versions or SM to practice 10's in a row. I just feel so comfortable with 8's and some 9's because they're fun to play on. 10's to me are more of a chore than fun. But I won't get anywhere if I don't work at it.

And what's a "crazy loop" song? The machine probably doesn't have any.

Post #7 · Posted at 2012-05-02 07:33:06am 11.9 years ago

Offline PaperSak
PaperSak Avatar Member
1,248 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-09-16

Nintendo Network ID: PaperSak3DS Friend Code: 2363-5848-1224
"Take your hater shades off."

Last updated: 2012-05-02 07:34am
Daiz or someone proposed something along the lines of starting with easy songs for warm ups and work your way up. That way, when the next song is only marginally harder than the previous song, it doesn't feel that hard. To be consistently good at hard songs, you'd probably have to do this sort of thing... often, but maybe you'll find that you won't need to start on 8s for instance, because 9s are getting easier. Old DDR scale, I mean.

... not that I have any credibility; I hit a plateau like five to seven years ago, and am just now trying that strategy. ._. Jumping on the machine for three rounds of hard 8s and 9s and finishing with hard 9s didn't seem like it was doing anything but making me tired really fast.

Post #8 · Posted at 2012-05-02 07:47:31am 11.9 years ago

Offline XeneSyS 87
XeneSyS 87 Avatar Member
710 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-04-17

I usually warm up with 8's like B4U-Heavy and A-Heavy. "A"-Heavy is a good warm-up IMO because you start off slow to get the blood flowing and then shortly after halfway you move faster (at 191BPM 8th notes), and the streams are relatively simple. Then I move up to 9's like CSFIL (Speed Mix), and EternuS. And when I feel like moving into 16th triplets/trills, I do Energizer-Standard or Tension-Heavy. They're relatively easy trills, but it's still part of the warm-up.

I also play easier songs (8's and sometimes 7's) on music rate x1.1-1.5 to try and increase stamina and to ease myself into doing constant 8th streams over 200BPM, regardless of pattern. I don't do that very often, but maybe I should.

Post #9 · Posted at 2012-05-02 08:49:04am 11.9 years ago

Offline warpdr!ve
warpdr!ve Avatar Member
339 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-09-15

"Fairy-nough"
http://groovestats.com/index.php?page=customsongs&action=view&id=270
or
http://groovestats.com/index.php?page=customsongs&action=view&id=285

They used to be popular back in the day so some stepmania/hacked ITG machines have them. They're mid 11s (ITG). Should have specified that earlier, sorry. Also, starting slow is a given. I should have mentioned that but I kind of assume that one would not jump right to boss songs or they'd be too tired to continue much further.

Post #10 · Posted at 2012-05-02 08:57:31am 11.9 years ago

Offline XeneSyS 87
XeneSyS 87 Avatar Member
710 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-04-17

@ warpdr!ve: The former has a 404 error, the latter I was able to download. Thanks. Smile

And would being properly hydrated help out with stamina? I usually don't drink enough water before playing, so that might be a problem.

Post #11 · Posted at 2012-05-02 09:43:37am 11.9 years ago

Offline NXCProduction
NXCProduction Avatar Member
1,770 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2011-03-01

"Annoyed"
I'm stuck in the border where I can't clear half of the 17 footers (X-rating). I can clear all of the RDa songs Heavy, deltaMAX Heavy but can't clear Fascination MAXX Heavy.
Simfile on progress! 2nd Generation: beat#0 | beat#1 | beat#2 | beat#3 |
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/User%20Names/NXCProduction.png
thanks a lot Lord Toon! Very Happy

Post #12 · Posted at 2012-05-02 09:49:23am 11.9 years ago

Offline XeneSyS 87
XeneSyS 87 Avatar Member
710 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-04-17

And this is on the pad, right? I can only do the weakest three RDA songs on Heavy. (I personally enjoy Shiny World Heavy.) I'm still on Standard for the other four.

And on DDRX CS, I like to attempt Pluto Relenquished on Heavy and I got clear to the 8th streams at the end, and lost. Tongue
Practice makes perfect.

Post #13 · Posted at 2012-05-02 09:51:58am 11.9 years ago

Offline NXCProduction
NXCProduction Avatar Member
1,770 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2011-03-01

"Annoyed"
yep in the Pad.

ah I forgot to mention that RDa Songs I mentioned above is the major RDa Songs (excluding Valkyrie dimension, which I always fail before that last-useless-8th-stream part)
Simfile on progress! 2nd Generation: beat#0 | beat#1 | beat#2 | beat#3 |
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/User%20Names/NXCProduction.png
thanks a lot Lord Toon! Very Happy

Post #14 · Posted at 2012-05-02 09:59:12am 11.9 years ago

Offline warpdr!ve
warpdr!ve Avatar Member
339 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-09-15

"Fairy-nough"
Hydration is very important. I make it a point to bring at least 32 ounces of beverages with me whenever I play. It won't increase you're stamina persay, but it should keep you from tiring as much. And I can't seem to find another link to that first song, which is annoying. Here is something similar to compensate: http://groovestats.com/index.php?page=customsongs&action=view&id=195 Hopefully it works.

@NXC: Faxx is a major pain, and I'd say it rivals the 18s in difficulty. There's nothing that quite compares to it well chart wise. As silly as this seems, I liken it to Trigger Challenge, so I'd look at that too and just leave Faxx for later. I've passed many of the ITG 12s before Faxx Heavy (and eventually Challenge as well), so that makes things kind of awkward... But good luck.

Post #15 · Posted at 2012-05-02 10:12:01am 11.9 years ago

Offline XeneSyS 87
XeneSyS 87 Avatar Member
710 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-04-17

It's still a 404 error. Is Groovestats becoming defunct or something? The site doesn't really look "complete" to me. At least I still got the one.

Oh, another thing just popped up. Does it help to play in an open, wide space where there's plenty of air to circulate rather than say, a bedroom? I'm thinking that the playing environment may have something to do with stamina because of how your body handles the heat and thus, sweat. If you're too hot, then you sweat, and your body works harder to cool itself down, and in turn burns more calories.

Post #16 · Posted at 2012-05-02 10:16:25am 11.9 years ago

Offline Burtzman
Burtzman Avatar Member
649 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-06-03

I have a very hard time playing several boss songs in a row, because I don't get to play as often as I used to.
I feel very worn out and almost sick after trying and failing several songs in a row that are 15 or above.

The highest I can go on the scale is 16, I keep trying POSSESSIONHeavy and Anti-MatterHeavy in hopes of passing my first 17.
I can pass Delta MAX on Heavy, but who are we kidding, that's not a 17.

I drink water, but not very much, I'm almost afraid of drinking too much.

I just have to keep practicing and I'll eventually pass those songs at some point, although I do think I am reaching my limit.
I remember when I didn't think I would ever pass Eternus Heavy

And this is all on home versions, I never go to the arcade.

Post #17 · Posted at 2012-05-02 10:33:22am 11.9 years ago

Offline warpdr!ve
warpdr!ve Avatar Member
339 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-09-15

"Fairy-nough"
-__________________-

I guess groovestats is out then. There are a bunch of easy 11 stamina files floating around, so search around and I'm sure you'll find something you'll enjoy. I'd link to more, but by doing that I think I'd 404 something else. Again, my apologies.

As per the air circulating, I suppose it's better to have room to breathe, but I haven't found a significant difference there by area. Also, playing in a really warm room seems like a bad idea waiting to happen.

Post #18 · Posted at 2012-05-02 10:44:44am 11.9 years ago

Offline XeneSyS 87
XeneSyS 87 Avatar Member
710 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-04-17

Last updated: 2012-05-02 10:44am
Quote: Burtzman
I drink water, but not very much, I'm almost afraid of drinking too much.

I just have to keep practicing and I'll eventually pass those songs at some point, although I do think I am reaching my limit.
I remember when I didn't think I would ever pass Eternus Heavy

I can't drink too much water at one time or i'll constantly burp during the song and that in turn affects my performance.

As i've mentioned before, I have tried a combination of MioEnergy and Electrolytes, which seemed to of helped temporarily raise my stamina. I drank some of that and a little bit of regular water when i'm at home playing. But I haven't done that as of late.

And I remember a time when I thought I could never pass MAX300 (back during the DDRMAX CS days, I thought it was impossible!). Now I can get an "A"on it. Wink

Quote: warpdr!ve
Also, playing in a really warm room seems like a bad idea waiting to happen.
At my local arcade, I get really hot, really fast because it's right behind a big window and the sun beats in during the afternoon hours. Mad And it's not open in the mornings.

Post #19 · Posted at 2012-05-02 12:01:48pm 11.9 years ago

Offline PaperSak
PaperSak Avatar Member
1,248 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-09-16

Nintendo Network ID: PaperSak3DS Friend Code: 2363-5848-1224
"Take your hater shades off."
Quote: XeneSyS 87
And this is on the pad, right? I can only do the weakest three RDA songs on Heavy. (I personally enjoy Shiny World Heavy.) I'm still on Standard for the other four.

Ooh, if you can pass Max 300 and Unlimited, you should totally practice with Pierce the Sky Heavy and Sakura Sunrise Heavy. I know the scale isn't perfect, but Max 300 is at least considered a 14, isn't it? Unlimited is notably scarier, imo, so... those two RDAs are 14s and they're kinda fun.

Post #20 · Posted at 2012-05-03 02:40:38am 11.9 years ago

Offline XeneSyS 87
XeneSyS 87 Avatar Member
710 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-04-17

MAX300 is a 15. I would consider the "de facto" standard for a 15 (seeing how it was the first 10-footer, ever.)

Today I played SM at home and here are some of the official songs I did and completed:

A-Heavy @ x1.3 (121-248 BPM)
COME BACK TO MY HEART-Heavy @ x1.5 (213 BPM)
HEART BEAT FORMULA-Heavy @ x1.2 (276 BPM)
Nothing's Gonna Stop (Dance Mania Mix)-Heavy @ x1.7 (247 BPM)
B4U (B4 Za Beat Mix) x1.8 (EXTREME CS Mission 86, lol but WITHOUT little/cut). (306 BPM) It's only ~45 seconds long.

And at normal music rate:
NEPHILIM DELTA-Heavy
SILVER DREAM -Heavy
Robotix from ITG2 -Challenge

Perhaps I am doubting my own ability. But just because I didn't give up doesn't necessarily mean that I did good on them.
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 3% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-03-28 14:08:15
This page took 0.017 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language