Logo

Reliable PS2 to USB Converter for newest Stepmania programs 5.0.5 and up!

Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2015-05-28 11:26:20pm 8.8 years ago

Offline egc.vm_ninebreaker
egc.vm_ninebreaker Avatar Member
15 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-07

Hey everyone, sorry to ask a redundant question again but many months ago I asked why my EMS2USB Dualshooter didn't work anymore with the newer Stepmania programs. I talked about it in this old thread here:

http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/viewthread.php?postid=330771#p330771

It worked up until Stepmania 5 Preview 4, which I am still currently using. I wanted to keep updating since there are bugs and themes that I want to upgrade to, but right now I don't want to buy into a new converter until I'm 100% sure that it works properly with the latest Stepmania 5 program.

Does anyone currently use the newest Stepmania 5 with a PS2 DDR mat converted to USB? I've been doing it for over 8 years and it looks like I finally have to move on from my EMS2USB Dualshooter. It's great, but has no support and is not recognized on the newest Stepmania programs.

One thing I'm also struggling with is this "hiccuping" when playing now. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit on a Gaming Laptop, the Asus G73JH which has plenty of power for this game. I hook up my laptop via HDMI to my 46" Sony HD TV, where the game is played in 1080p resolution (which is amazing!) and I use the current EMS2USB converter with DDR Game PS2 hard foam dance pads.

It likes to skip frame rates now during play, meaning you would see a stream of arrows, and suddenly out of no where it "surges" very quickly and unless you already sight read the arrows below, you would miss a ton!!! It's a huge problem I haven't figured out yet. I tried to use VSYNC, but that also had the same problem with arrows suddenly "skipping" forward. I then turned off VSYNC and then I set the screen refresh rate to 150 to be as smooth as possible. So far, it isn't too bad, but occasionally the arrows skip forward and it's pretty frustrating to deal with during a long combo that gets broken due to poor frame rates :/

Does anyone else have trouble? I might have to revert to using my Desktop for maximum performance if this laptop is dying, it hasn't been opened and cleaned out so that may be a problem that has accumulated which led to the dying performance, but I wanted to make sure! If there is anyone out there playing on a similar setup that could lead me in the right direction that would be great! Thank you!

Post #2 · Posted at 2015-05-29 12:59:13am 8.8 years ago

Offline MadkaT
MadkaT Avatar Member
820 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2009-11-24

If Stepmania doesn't recongnize your Pad, but your Windows do it, Use joy2key o xpadder softwares to map it and use it. About the VSYNC I don't know how to fix that.

Post #3 · Posted at 2015-06-05 01:59:23am 8.7 years ago

15 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-07

Quote: MadkaT
If Stepmania doesn't recongnize your Pad, but your Windows do it, Use joy2key o xpadder softwares to map it and use it. About the VSYNC I don't know how to fix that.

The problem is the it recognizes as a Human Interface Device, HID and not as a game controller that I can map. It's recognized in my build of Stepmania 5, but not in the newest versions. I haven't really come across a real solution...

Is anyone currently using the Super Joy Box Pro 5 PSX to USB Converter? I don't know if I should use that or if it's compatible with the newest Stepmania. Any help would be appreciated!

Post #4 · Posted at 2015-06-07 01:16:18pm 8.7 years ago

Offline n00b_saib0t
n00b_saib0t Avatar Member
2,279 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: n00bsaib0tNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-7875-2425-72033DS Friend Code: 4871-6557-4900
"F***ing exhausted."
I use this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ND3XXA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Lagless, and it supports analog triggers for the GC port (probably X-Box too if that one supported it). It's an all around amazing converter that someone here recommended to me.
Quote: sharibetsu in The Unwritten Rules of ZIv thread
Any popular thread must have at least one debate between n00b_saib0t and someone else.

Post #5 · Posted at 2015-07-04 04:07:11am 8.7 years ago

15 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-07

Quote: n00b_saib0t
I use this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ND3XXA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Lagless, and it supports analog triggers for the GC port (probably X-Box too if that one supported it). It's an all around amazing converter that someone here recommended to me.

Thanks man! After reading some reviews it looks like this might work well for me! I'm going to order 2 for each of my pads and go from there. Are you using the most current build of Stepmania by any chance? I needed something that was compatible with the most recent releases and I'm hoping this is the one that'll do it for me since I want a smooth and less buggy build of SM5 Big Grin

Post #6 · Posted at 2015-07-07 09:42:31pm 8.7 years ago

Offline n00b_saib0t
n00b_saib0t Avatar Member
2,279 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: n00bsaib0tNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-7875-2425-72033DS Friend Code: 4871-6557-4900
"F***ing exhausted."
Yep, I sure am. Works like a champ. Good luck on your build.
Quote: sharibetsu in The Unwritten Rules of ZIv thread
Any popular thread must have at least one debate between n00b_saib0t and someone else.

Post #7 · Posted at 2015-08-03 05:30:35am 8.6 years ago

15 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-07

Quote: n00b_saib0t
Yep, I sure am. Works like a champ. Good luck on your build.

It's been a few weeks and I had to say THANK YOU! The converters worked without needing to install any extra drivers, just Plug-and-Play on my computer! Running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Asus Gaming Laptop. Fixed the lag through some updated drivers and now it's better than ever! Thanks!
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 3% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-03-19 09:38:12
This page took 0.007 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language