Logo

ITG Upgrade freezes/reboots, help needed!

Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2015-05-25 10:08:54pm 8.9 years ago

Offline repeaterbeater
repeaterbeater Avatar Member
1 Post
Sweden
Reg. 2015-05-25

Nintendo Network ID: repeaterbeater
Hi there.
Today, I got my hands on a rather cheap arcade with an ITG 2 conversion kit.
The seller was straight up with the machine freezing and rebooting in the middle of songs every now and then - it doesn't really bother me since I mainly want the pads to mod and the cabinet with the sound system.
BUT! Until I get the time to fix everything as I've planned, I'd like to have it up and running in a nice way.

So. Do you guys have any thoughts regarding what might be the spooky misfire here?
Either the machine just flinches and goes into reboot screen, showing all the numbers and stuff that a non-programmer as myself don't understand, or the screen freezes whilst the music keeps running. No cabinet-buttons or pads will trigger anything after that, and the only way to reboot is to cut the power.

The former owner told me that new thermal paste (I think that's the word in English? Cooling paste..?) has been applied, but no difference.
Bad GPU? CPU Processor? Hit me up if any of you have encountered something like this before.

And on to my next thoughts, regarding replacing the old PC in the arcade:
How is the PC hooked up to "everything else"? I'm thinking that an entire new PC running Linux loaded with either ITG PC (yeah, I acctually think that's simple and clean) or a new SM5 build or OpenITG and a lot of good community packs, that'd be a good idea.
So my question is - if I buy a PC, get someone to install a self booting version of any ITG and then just swap it for the older PC in the machine... would that work just fine, or do I need some converters? Special out-/inputs?

Thanks for every upcoming thoughts and answers! (:
/Jesper

Post #2 · Posted at 2015-05-26 12:48:48am 8.9 years ago

Offline AxelWasHere
AxelWasHere Avatar Member
1,583 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-07-13

"No."
You would need a minimaid if you do a normal PC with OITG/Stepmania

It could be a bad thermal compound, or just probably overheating inside.
https://i.imgur.com/vnrpBDk.gif

Post #3 · Posted at 2016-05-12 03:36:09am 7.9 years ago

Offline yoshi75
yoshi75 Avatar Member
20 Posts
Italy
Reg. 2016-01-01

Last updated: 2016-05-12 03:43am
From what you wrote I figured you have a cab with an original boxor with ITG2 linux software, in poor words a K7N2GM2 motherboard with ITGIO under linux configuration, right?

So let's start with some fixes you can do:

- reboot and freeze problem:
I had on original boxor some issues like those you mentioned, check out what happened me some years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLGVvFTfauk
This can happens for various reasons:

1 - Bad capacitors and motherboard chipset: this is the most common fault: the voltage it's regulated from a switching circuit that needs capacitors for maintain the same values, if you have bad or leaked capacitors voltage can "bump" and cause system freeze or be unstable.
If you have replaced capacitors, check the temperature on the cooling heat sink of the north-bridge chipset (it's located near the cpu). The temperature of heat-sink should be "touchable" warm, but if it's too hot you have to replace also the transistors of the switching circuit because the voltage bumping has "fried" them.
For example this was exactly the problem was suffering the motherboard in the video. Notice that the temperature was so hot that has "fried" the chipset itself; I did a reballing but the BGA was gone, and the only way was to buy a new K7N2GM2 motherboard (I found the first model, the one without serial ata connectors, but apart this is identical to the model 2 that roxor used)

2 - Power supply: notice that the switching circuit of your motherboard it's not the only can suffer of bad capacitors, because the so called "switching power supply" can be in the same troubles. In fact it works almost in the same way, and especially if the cooling fan it's stucked the more heat can cause capacitors leak and all previously said correlated problems.
So check out also the power supply, if the fan is rotating, if the chassis temperature is warm and not ready for cooking ;) I suggest, if you are not a professional electronic technician, to don't try to repair a power supply, but to buy a new one.

3 - Memory failure: linux memory allocation system (as far I know) does not include a sort of memory dynamic re-allocation like the windows message "The instruction at "0x0xxxxxxxxx" referenced memory at "0x0xxxxxxxx" - The memory could not be "read". In poor words the system can hang up in a second if memory is bad. I suggest a memory test with the good Memtest+ or Ram stress test (good for Double Data Rate memory used in old motherboards like the K7N2GM2)

4 - Hard drive: this is the last of the hardware problems related to in-game freezing I believe can happen, when you start to play a song, it's all loaded in memory so I think it's more probable an hardware reading failure can happen before of after, so if you previously checked all I mentioned with no results give also a shoot to hard drive conditions (if you have the original boxor ITG2 you can clone it to an SSD or an more cheaper Compact flash card). I personally have all my boxor units cloned on a compact flash from 3 or 4 years (obviously I always have a backup... ;)
Notice that the original configuration of linux ITG2 system has no swapping file, nor caching system, making it ideal for a linear reading from a compact flash or SSD

for timing and disconnect problems there are actually two important things you should check:

1 - USB cable: the cable Roxor used in their boxor is excessively long! about 6 feet! Maybe originally they planned (considered audio cable is of the same length) to put the jamma board away from the unit, but at final design you need cables for a bunch of inches. Consider USB it's a very weak signal and it should be as short as possible, not last, roxor technicians tucked the cables inside in a spiral form: this is totally wrong! I don't want to start a polemic about the fact if a six feet usb cable turned in a spiral can generate a magnetic inductance to degrade the signal, but I suggest only to replace the cable with a shorter one ;)

2 - Neon transformer and neon exhausted: the neon power supply of the marquee can degrade the usb signal, especially if you connected the external usb card module: simply try if disconnecting the neon light marquee it can help. Also notice that an exhausted neon that turns on and off can cause a lot of problems, including damaging your monitor, because every time it turns on can bump the voltage. Notice that I fixed the neon troubles with led stripes lights (we are in 2016 now...)

3 - Sensors and connectors: check also all connectors, and maybe clean them with a contact cleaner, Start right from the JAMMA connector and go further under the arrows, clean the area inside the arrows panels from dust and external objects that could accidentally fallen inside. Then check with accuracy sensors one by one, if they are too sensitive or unresponsive.

Not last: I'm assuming you are using original Roxor configuration and theme, without modifications (you can obviously change and customize everything you want but first be sure the system is stable and working with original configuration)

That should be all, let me know if you are making progress fixing your cabinet Smile
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 4% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-04-19 05:35:11
This page took 0.005 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language