Logo

The DDR Research Master Thread - UPDATED 2023-04-15 - Minor Addition - SOME DDR GB1 Memory Addresses

Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #61 · Posted at 2015-06-11 01:02:39am 8.8 years ago

Offline hooky
hooky Avatar Member
2,683 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-28

I took the time the music cut out (1:52) and subtracted the time it started (24 seconds) and got 1:28. LONG TRAIN RUNNIN' is 1:27.

That has to be why the music faded out early. What's interesting though is that the stepchart finished.

I would look for some value that sets the time/number of frames of the music.

Post #62 · Posted at 2015-06-30 03:19:24pm 8.7 years ago

Offline travelsonic
travelsonic Avatar Member
190 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18

Last updated: 2015-07-06 01:06pm
Quote: hooky
I took the time the music cut out (1:52) and subtracted the time it started (24 seconds) and got 1:28. LONG TRAIN RUNNIN' is 1:27.

That has to be why the music faded out early. What's interesting though is that the stepchart finished.

I would look for some value that sets the time/number of frames of the music.

Hmmm, interesting that they seem to have that cutoff set in stone (I mean, since it'd probably be more overhead than just having the step data, and the time (in frames that the game goes to the score screen). And yeah, it'd probably be in frames.

Hmmm, so 1 minute, 27 seconds, is 87 seconds - times 60, since the game runs at 60 FPS, that would be 5220 frames... so that value in hexadecimal, 1464 is what I am looking for? Hope my arithmetic is right.

And if it is, actually, I'd be looking for the hexadecimal pattern "64 14", and not "14 64", due to the endin-ness of the system.

Pardon the lack of progress lately, been very busy trying to train up on my coding for the possibility of employment, and also have been applying to colleges hoping to continue my education. I have not stopped wanting to work on figuring out these games. Big Grin

Been really busy lately, lots of stuff going on, but I am still working on this stuff, and even - albeit with MAME + Cheat Engine - exploring arcade mixes to learn how they work. Very Happy

Post #63 · Posted at 2015-07-05 06:35:47am 8.7 years ago

Offline CuzcoBlocko
CuzcoBlocko Avatar Member
2,947 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-10-26

"[Art by LilyBreez]"
Hello.

Do you think you could rip the DDRMAX2 Encore Extra Stage credits?

Post #64 · Posted at 2015-07-15 04:15:45pm 8.7 years ago

Offline travelsonic
190 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18

Last updated: 2015-07-15 04:15pm
Quote: CuzcoBlocko
Hello.

Do you think you could rip the DDRMAX2 Encore Extra Stage credits?

Yeah, that definitely would be doable - not entirely sure when, busy schedule, but I will get to it.

Another interesting thing I noticed about these games: Even though songwheel text, game banners, are the same sizes, and image format game to game, their TCB images are different sizes... you'd think, something that is uniform in dimension, and format, like that would be the same... Oops

ADDED LOCATIONS OF DANCE POINT MULTIPLIERS (though I think it probably will really belong under executable editing, the address in which the data was found was probably well within the actual ELF - nestled somewhere between the song definitions and filedata table.

Post #65 · Posted at 2015-07-17 06:48:42am 8.7 years ago

Offline KittyBox
KittyBox Avatar Member
207 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-05-01

Quote: travelsonic

Yeah, that definitely would be doable - not entirely sure when, busy schedule, but I will get to it.

Another interesting thing I noticed about these games: Even though songwheel text, game banners, are the same sizes, and image format game to game, their TCB images are different sizes... you'd think, something that is uniform in dimension, and format, like that would be the same... Oops

ADDED LOCATIONS OF DANCE POINT MULTIPLIERS (though I think it probably will really belong under executable editing, the address in which the data was found was probably well within the actual ELF - nestled somewhere between the song definitions and filedata table.
Have you had any luck finding where song lengths are defined yet?

Post #66 · Posted at 2015-07-18 07:53:51pm 8.7 years ago

Offline travelsonic
190 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18

Last updated: 2015-07-18 07:53pm
Quote: KittyBox

Have you had any luck finding where song lengths are defined yet?

Not yet, frustratingly >_< Not giving up though Big Grin

BTW: Begun documenting functions in an IDA Pro disassembly of DDRMAX2 JP, including what appears to be where the number of DP earned by a player after a song is calculated:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T6Fjm9QZSNg/Vap_C2wYPoI/AAAAAAAAAaU/LhISm8HdM8o/s1600/IDA_PRO_DP_CALCULATOR.png

Post #67 · Posted at 2015-09-01 08:32:22am 8.5 years ago

Offline CuzcoBlocko
2,947 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-10-26

"[Art by LilyBreez]"
Quote: root670
Here's my tools for use with the PS2 DDR games: https://www.mediafire.com/?w5u765854zhd65b

In that 7z there are 4 tools:
dump-filetable.py: Extract FILEDATA.BIN using the file table in a game's ELF file. Currently it supports Extreme JP, MAX 2 JP, MAX JP, and Party Collection but more can easily be added. You need Python 3.4 installed to use this (Python 2.7 might work, but I didn't test it), along with an ELF file and FILEDATA.BIN file.
create-filedata.py: Create a new FILEDATA.BIN file along with a file table to inject into a game's ELF file. You need Python 3.4 for this as well. It will add all files extracted using dump-filetable.py in the current directory to create a new FILEDATA.BIN and file table. You can then inject the generated file table into the game's ELF at the offsets listed in dump-filetable.py. Unfortunately, there are several edge cases that need to be addressed (for example, there's extra data at the end of Extreme JP's FILEDATA.BIN that doesn't have an entry in the file table, yet the game requires the data to be here) so it probably won't work most of the time. I recomend using UltraISO to add the modified files to an existing ISO.
extract-tcb.exe: Extract TCB images from a data file. It can do a bruteforce search for compressed and uncompressed TCBs contained within a file, or extract from a file that start with a table. Basically just use the bruteforce option with files extracted using dump-filetable.py and it'll spit out TCBs into a folder.
tcb-tool: Convert TCB images to PNG or inject a PNG into an existing TCB. You could create texture mods using this if you wanted to. It works great with 256-color images (8-bit), but often produces weird images with 16 color (4-bit) images.

I hope someone finds this useful Big Grin. These tools are not entirely stable, but please let me know if you encounter anything strange.

Hey, you mind adding DDR Extreme USA to the filetable.py?

Post #68 · Posted at 2015-09-03 05:40:12pm 8.5 years ago

Offline travelsonic
190 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18

Strange haven't heard back from Root in some time - still active sorta on gamehacking.org's forums with other projects. I'd figure adding support for EXTREME U.S should be easy (particularly since I sent the filedata table addresses for that, and many others a while back)

I really gotta get back on the ball in the research I had been doing, lots of stuff going on IRL that kept me sidetracked.

Post #69 · Posted at 2015-09-05 06:58:48pm 8.5 years ago

Offline root670
root670 Avatar Member
10 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-06-02

I've kind of lost interest but still might be able to help. I don't have DDR Extreme US so I can't add it in my self. However, the data after the file table in each game's elf is usually similar enough between games that the file table can be found by searching for this similar data in a hex editor then scrolling up to find the beginning of the table.

Post #70 · Posted at 2015-09-05 07:32:01pm 8.5 years ago

Offline travelsonic
190 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18

Last updated: 2015-09-05 07:34pm
Quote: root670
I've kind of lost interest but still might be able to help. I don't have DDR Extreme US so I can't add it in my self. However, the data after the file table in each game's elf is usually similar enough between games that the file table can be found by searching for this similar data in a hex editor then scrolling up to find the beginning of the table.

Hmm wait, thought I sent you the address of EXTREME U.S's filedata table - maybe I didn't, I'll go look up what I sent, my notes, etc...

And aww man, lost interest right when I started hitting some REAL meat in the series (like the actual DP calculation aspect of the game ) Tongue

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T6Fjm9QZSNg/Vap_C2wYPoI/AAAAAAAAAaU/LhISm8HdM8o/s1600/IDA_PRO_DP_CALCULATOR.png

Post #71 · Posted at 2015-09-06 03:49:17am 8.5 years ago

Offline bmhedgehog
bmhedgehog Avatar Banned+
3,136 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-07-13

"BANNED"
Interesting on how the Misses and Boos are all stored in the same function/call t3.

Post #72 · Posted at 2015-09-07 05:07:58pm 8.5 years ago

Offline travelsonic
190 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18

Still have to finish documenting that function, but there are a lot of interesting things - like how the goods are computed even though they have a multiplier of 0 - which, I assume, is to keep the algorithm simple, as opposed to something that'd need conditions, and thus becoming more complex.

Post #73 · Posted at 2015-11-30 05:51:50am 8.3 years ago

Offline CuzcoBlocko
2,947 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-10-26

"[Art by LilyBreez]"

Last updated: 2015-11-30 09:24am
Hey, how is this going? I haven't seen any updates in a while.

Have you added support for the US/European releases yet? I keep trying to download the rom for DDRMAX2 JP for the PS2 and the download keeps failing at 622/682 MB. I've tried it at least 4 times now.

Post #74 · Posted at 2015-12-02 01:51:05pm 8.3 years ago

Offline adriansuhr
adriansuhr Avatar Member
2 Posts
Uruguay
Reg. 2007-04-30

Last updated: 2015-12-02 01:52pm
Here status imagine arcade song list!
;

Post #75 · Posted at 2015-12-26 03:32:24pm 8.2 years ago

Offline dieKatze88
dieKatze88 Avatar Member+
8 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-07-10

Konami has a master list of songs in the ELF for each game, dunno why the hell they did that - look at the addresses following/proceeding it, if there are more ascii strigns with song names, then that's probably the find, otherwise it could be something else. My money is on it being that master list though. heh.

IIRC the master song table was included in every game so you could display what edit a song was for.

The "True Master Song Numbering" is via the v2 edit ID (v2 edit being the 2nd version of the edit format - the one used on every PS1 and PS2 game except for the original DDR CS game in Japan)

Post #76 · Posted at 2015-12-29 10:48:55am 8.2 years ago

Offline adriansuhr
adriansuhr Avatar Member
2 Posts
Uruguay
Reg. 2007-04-30

I have an error with the tools dump-filedata.py
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/YUT6eKurCJk0yu_gSzIsJRu8sIxec1CTlwXAFhbmRatWtwHXFXxAWkiKAkP9CpgbzuNDkErlitnWlDW_5_ssYjA2QYJGMSLYQR2H1OAMv2qUJVDMdyXiqc3BkzzVJBz6DSR1GgMgXZWvu2LBoFFagvthdBKe-Y_2RD4Vodki-RLOsd4ufL9_9lg97fTBesdotW3gGHTBCbjWQI6i_bUUQLCu_e8SXZUfJpPS8QP-xhbilRBgisHZlNSy1eoPEZzZGbvmqlRHZ2_C4DceE_c-OEJKflNhyyQwDbIjrGrmPVq8b-IQXO7jI_mHdyxwcJIBez4rhtcS8ktQJrBQRqfq0Bf52-lNy00dKx0qCyxYiMcgu6bIWyDerhUsJRXUA2q33UO65wCjFs7lNL7iwP2XNmsKnvCsZXy0ZSEdxiBzOY_DJ9pmGkeM6pexl-0ft03Ii1V_b7fRsus7GLlHnoy5U3eZ17jwQFVzuQIpxun4QB-JNqZCWjeqX6_ZoYaxwaVDKB8FJPclpnjRtIBpPL_tL80HAEp1EsN5i9b3OUkTgXFc7kKymoCTD-x5SWsTi4vIEaJ9=w879-h163-no

Post #77 · Posted at 2016-06-12 06:20:33pm 7.7 years ago

Offline travelsonic
190 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-10-18

Last updated: 2016-06-12 06:28pm
It has been a long time (started going back to college to finish my education, and it got absolutely insane, had almost no time for myself), but now that the semester is over, I have decided to get back to hacking DDR, figuring out the PS2/MAX-era Engine.

Stay tuned for updates.

Here's a mind puzzle for those who are game-hacking savy: Instead of trying to convert WAV audio into the specific ADPCM format used in these DDR mixes, what would it take to make the game play just ... the sort of PCM format audio used for the PSX mixes or just wav or MP3 format audio? I wanna make custom music work, but I don't know if there are tools capable of converting wav to the form of ADPCM used... just tools that convert ADPCM format audio to wav or MP3, and I figure if those other formats can be supported, maybe it would be easier to adapt the game to the audio, rather than adapting the audio to the game so to speak.

To show just how damn much I want to make custom music work... I even tried just straight up using ps2ADPCM to convert audio to ADPCM (even though it, as stated in the readme, would produce audio meant to be used work with the ps2snd IRX from the homebrew PS2 SDK/in projects using that irx), then straight up inserted it into the game... the audio would play, but is really, really jumpy, which I expected somewhat... damn if that doesn't show I'm willing to try anything, even with the high chance of failure.

Post #78 · Posted at 2016-07-02 10:18:48am 7.7 years ago

Offline PackTheBeats
PackTheBeats Avatar Banned
102 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2016-01-20

Does anyone know the Unlock Conditions for the unlockable songs in the Arcade version of DDR X? I´m trying to re-create an Arcade-like experience in Stepmania.

Post #79 · Posted at 2016-07-02 12:58:38pm 7.7 years ago

Offline dieKatze88
dieKatze88 Avatar Member+
8 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-07-10

Quote: PackTheBeats
Does anyone know the Unlock Conditions for the unlockable songs in the Arcade version of DDR X? I´m trying to re-create an Arcade-like experience in Stepmania.

eAmuse (Japan)

Pad Codes (US/EU)

Post #80 · Posted at 2016-07-03 10:55:55am 7.7 years ago

Offline PackTheBeats
PackTheBeats Avatar Banned
102 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2016-01-20

I know that, but what are the ACTUAL unlock conditions? I clearly know that an eAMUSEMENT pass has to be used to be able to unlock songs in the arcade game, but what do you to DO to actually unlock the unlockable songs?
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 5% · Database: 8% · Server Time: 2024-03-28 11:57:25
This page took 0.017 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language