Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2014-09-24 09:14:44am 9.5 years ago

Offline Damnit_Anthony
Damnit_Anthony Avatar Member
4 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2014-09-24

Hi all,

My name is Anthony and I am preeeetttyy new to the IIDX community, and in a few weeks I'm going to get my hands on a bunch of IIDX games for the PS2, but for now LR2 is keeping my practices down. However, I am an avid Stepmania/DDR player and through the years I've experienced several issues on the PCs that I play in regards to input lag, it is a big enough issue for me to not even play on my gaming laptop and my gaming desktop, simply due to not being able to time my inputs correctly. For the longest time I stuck to playing on a crappy laptop that did the job with no input lag at all, but now that I've moved onto IIDX (it's too bad I couldn't get onto this game sooner) I've run into another issue while learning this game... Since my laptop (the newer gaming one, that also has LR2 on it) had issues with input lag for Stepmania, I'm not good enough at IIDX to know whether or not I'm experiencing input lag, so I've just opted to buy an external monitor for this game, simply because I'm THAT invested into it. Anyways, with that said, I hope you guys can help me out in searching out a new monitor that can fill my needs for LR2/IIDX in the near future!

Also to note, I would like it if the costs were kept to a minimum, because I'm a college student lol, but preferably able to keep it at a 24 inch size!

Thank you,

Anthony

Post #2 · Posted at 2014-09-24 12:19:50pm 9.5 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."

Last updated: 2014-09-24 12:20pm
Maybe you should invest in helping out that laptop for future iidx purposes.

Also, if you're getting the ps2 games, then just mod the ps2 so it can play them.
LR2 is really not that great.

Edit: Can you give us the specs...

Post #3 · Posted at 2014-09-24 09:29:14pm 9.5 years ago

Offline Damnit_Anthony
4 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2014-09-24

Thing is, I don't know how to mess with the laptop configuration, and also playing on a 15.6 inch screen isn't all that fun to begin with. I was already set on buying an external monitor to play anyway, but my laptop is...

Sager W650SR
i7-4700MQ
GT 750m
8gb RAM
Windows Home Premium 64 bit

My desktop is..
AMD FX-4100
GTX 560
8gb RAM
Windows Home Premium 64 bit

but yeah, I do have a modded PS2, but I wont be getting that for a few weeks, I'm gonna be switching over to that when I get the chance

Post #4 · Posted at 2014-09-25 12:39:12am 9.5 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,470 Posts
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

Nintendo Network ID: KKiONI3DS Friend Code: 2320-6631-1671
"BEEJAY REVEL A"

Last updated: 2014-09-25 12:42am
Going through the list of factors, this is what can cause display lag:
-slow response time on monitor
-input device has poor response time
-VSync performance is poor

The first is usually not the issue as most computer monitors or laptop screens have fairly good response time as is.

The second possible cause is usually the most likely which is that some input devices are not designed with low latency in mind. PS2 to USB adapters in particular can be notorious for this.

The third possible cause depends on the hardware and its performance with VSync. Some machines handle it well, others don't. On my laptop, I've got both an integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4000) and a dedicated GT 640M. Rendering on my Nvidia causes massive delay while my Intel card handles VSync acceptably well.

As for fixing the problem, there are a few things you can do. First I would try out a range of different input devices and see if it feels the same across them. If it is consistent, then it might be a VSync thing.

To fix VSync-related issues, you can either try:
-Forcing the application to use Triple Buffering VSync in the Nvidia Control Panel
-Disabling the use of VSync in LR2's options
-Running the application on the Integrated/On-board GPU. This fix more applies to your laptop as it likely has Nvidia Optimus. The way Optimus works is your Nvidia card shares the same frame buffer with the Intel card, so all frames will inevitably go through the Intel card. It is my belief that this causes that VSync delay. As for your desktop, try it if you want but it's probably best to keep any on-board video disabled.

If you're using Windows 7 and up, running the application in a window rather than fullscreen could possibly help too. I've tried this with both rhythm games and other games such as Skyrim and I've noticed a difference in response.

If after all that it still feels uncomfortable, I'm afraid I don't know much about what else it could be. The most I could recommend is perhaps using LR2's adjustment tool to compensate for any lag experienced. Best option would be to wait till your have access to the home styles then set it up with a CRT. That will give you the best sense of IIDX's timing window.

Post #5 · Posted at 2014-09-25 02:52:27am 9.5 years ago

Offline Damnit_Anthony
4 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2014-09-24

Ooo, thank you!

I'll give these suggestions a shot and see how it goes,

Greatly appreciated!
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 6% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-04-24 12:39:10
This page took 0.005 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language