Post #1 · Posted at 2014-09-24 02:33:57am 9.5 years ago

Offline HaasiD
HaasiD Avatar Member
9 Posts
Puerto Rico
Reg. 2014-09-23
MySpace: HaasiD

Last updated: 2014-09-24 02:53am
I have been noticing over the years of me being part of the DDR community that slowly, everyone that is not a die-hard fanatic of Dance Dance Revolution games or familiar with them due to Rhythm Game preference, the world has been shunning this method of gameplay away.Cry

Starting in the Console market mainly, DDR Hottest Party series fir Wii was perhaps a crash for the casual gamers.
With the upcoming Kinect Technology which actually detected full motions, and now you don't even need a controller
to play [cmmon look at today's dance games, they are too stupid]... Dance games have been taking another turn.
But why shun away the real trend setter?! [Commodore 64 pun detected]

First of all, a lot of people have been playing DDR wrong.Dead

It is above all a Dance game. But mainly only people concentrate in the tapping of arrows.
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! IT IS NOT BEATMANIA.Evil
Slowly, I have been watching how the community has supported the method which continues to
degrade the real essence of the game. With harder and much more insane stepfiles being made by most thankful developers like you... The real deal with DDR has been taken away.

Then you are wondering: "Rookie who has not even been on this forum for a day [But has been a die-hard player since 2004], how is DDR played right then? How is it that it is supposed to be done that you blame us for making beatmaps that resemble what the game is supposedly not about?"

First of all, with the start of DDR wikis and this database/forum, you and anyone can learn more about the music said game has. What genre do they fall into, and how are those music genres danced to.
For example:
A person new to the franchise decides to purchase DDRX as his/her first video game related to the series,
However, when stumbling up to songs like Saber Wing... The Player will have no clue of how to properly time it.
Thanks to the power of Google [that is even good enough to search company passwords and ATM operation manuals] that player can stumble with DDR wiki and Zenius-i-Vanisher Big Grin
There, he/she can learn that Saber Wing is actually a Waltz [which explains it's strange timing compared to every other damned song in the game] and then properly learn to time the arrows in the manner specified.

Along with the example above, one has to develop actual skill and endurance with this game.
Remember those days when DDR took advantage of the Weight Loss fad? [which is still around, people should not be forced to be skinny, there are people who have weight gaining issues like me. How about you help us too?!]
DDR CAN actually help you get in shape. But not by tapping. But rather by moving like if you were actually dancing along with the tapping!
AND THAT IS HOW YOU DAMN HAVE TO PLAY THE GAME.

Don't just tap away, you have to coordinate your body with the genre of the songs and the arrows themselves.
If the song is a Waltz, then Waltz away!
If it is House, House Away!

That was the whole point all along.
Sadly, the community is not growing as much as it used to because of the latest tech children now are being exposed to which is turning them into ungrateful brats who don't want to appreciate what they have now.

Soon enough DDR or another game [Hopefully not ITG or PIU] will take the genre out of the shadows.
HeavyChallengeMy current Hand powerChallengeHeavy
StandardLightMy Current Foot PowerLightStandard
Gotta love:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/266/1/e/output_iofot5_by_haashiaos-d80b13t.gif

Post #2 · Posted at 2014-09-24 02:42:27am 9.5 years ago

Offline Cowtao
Cowtao Avatar Member
1,984 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-05-08

"This hat hurts"

Last updated: 2014-09-24 02:43am
The issue with that is how difficult and insane the harder charts are. We are perfectly aware that there are people who can freestyle in many DDR songs and can do signature moves like the "Afronova Walk." But it's how the way people play the game and that is how we choose to play it. Nobody is going to "freestyle" Paranoia Revolution on Expert or Challenge.

We are also perfectly aware we are in the dying embers of a fading community, but we are still united now and we choose not to be so negative on the down-time aspects of DDR as a whole. Besides, with the popularity of other titles such as REFLEC BEAT and Osu! that still support a rhythm game style, it's only a matter of time before influence can come back and breath life back into Stepmania or otherwise fade into obscurity. It's just a choice that the community of DDR chooses to follow. Rhythm gaming in general is on downtime but eventually overtime, the popularity will spike to a peak and along with other rhythm games, DDR will be soon to follow.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/User%20Names/Cowtao.png
Thanks toon for the smexy Banner!

Post #3 · Posted at 2014-09-24 02:47:10am 9.5 years ago

Offline HaasiD
HaasiD Avatar Member
9 Posts
Puerto Rico
Reg. 2014-09-23

Last updated: 2014-09-24 02:50am
Quote: Cowtao
The issue with that is how difficult and insane the harder charts are. We are perfectly aware that there are people who can freestyle in many DDR songs and can do signature moves like the "Afronova Walk." But it's how the way people play the game and that is how we choose to play it. Nobody is going to "freestyle" Paranoia Revolution on Expert or Challenge.

We are also perfectly aware we are in the dying embers of a fading community, but we are still united now and we choose not to be so negative on the down-time aspects of DDR as a whole. Besides, with the popularity of other titles such as REFLEC BEAT and Osu! that still support a rhythm game style, it's only a matter of time before influence can come back and breath life back into Stepmania or otherwise fade into obscurity. It's just a choice that the community of DDR chooses to follow. Rhythm gaming in general is on downtime but eventually overtime, the popularity will spike to a peak and along with other rhythm games, DDR will be soon to follow.

One CAN freestyle to Paranoia. That is the whole point. Even though a lot of people find it hard as heck, compared to a lot of Stepmaps a lot of people have made with the years are EVEN HARDER [for example, Dash Hopes 3... It's not even the hardest out there, you know it.]. Looking back at the DDR stepfiles due to nostalgia I noticed that they are a lot simpler than they look and can actually be danced to.
But yet again, if the community chooses to treat DDR like BeatMania, it's never gonna fly.
Gotta love:
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/266/1/e/output_iofot5_by_haashiaos-d80b13t.gif

Post #4 · Posted at 2014-09-24 02:59:05am 9.5 years ago

Offline silenttype01
silenttype01 Avatar Member+
8,023 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-01-19

"DINGDONG♥HEARTS"
If it's worth anything:

the original steps for the first ddr games had actual dance choreography for them, but was lost since there was no way to communicate the choreography to the player through steps alone.

It's some supposed trivia about the first ddr game. I'm not really sure how credible it is, but it shows that DDR in its early stages had different goals about the game than it has currently turned into.

Saber Wing goes into 5/4 in the middle of the song :3

Post #5 · Posted at 2014-09-24 03:00:40am 9.5 years ago

Offline Lukem1999
Lukem1999 Avatar Member
59 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-07-25

One CAN freestyle to Paranoia. That is the whole point. Even though a lot of people find it hard as heck, compared to a lot of Stepmaps a lot of people have made with the years are EVEN HARDER [for example, Dash Hopes 3... It's not even the hardest out there, you know it.]. Looking back at the DDR stepfiles due to nostalgia I noticed that they are a lot simpler than they look and can actually be danced to.
But yet again, if the community chooses to treat DDR like BeatMania, it's never gonna fly.

Maybe you could freestyle it on beginner or basic with some work, but I don't see that happening on either expert or challenge. And even then, you can't be able to really add movement if you actually want to pass.

The thing is that since DDR has been increasing in difficulty, it's not as easy to play the game as you claim it's intended. Looking at the charts in the newer games, I'm pretty sure even Konami knows that we don't play it that way anymore.

Post #6 · Posted at 2014-09-24 03:05:25am 9.5 years ago

Offline HaasiD
HaasiD Avatar Member
9 Posts
Puerto Rico
Reg. 2014-09-23

Last updated: 2014-09-24 03:05am
Quote: silenttype01
If it's worth anything:

the original steps for the first ddr games had actual dance choreography for them, but was lost since there was no way to communicate the choreography to the player through steps alone.

It's some supposed trivia about the first ddr game. I'm not really sure how credible it is, but it shows that DDR in its early stages had different goals about the game than it has currently turned into.

Saber Wing goes into 5/4 in the middle of the song :3
Exactly, even the biggest failure for the Wii had that, but it was communicated late in the franchise's life span compared to the recurring market or tech.
Back in the day when I started playing it was the hardest thing in the world, only to return and find that I could have just danced my ass off in the arcade and made all the Proud dumms look like newbs. Sadly, I realized this when DDR machines are almost rare where I live.

[And yeah, it killed off always...]

Quote: Lukem1999

Maybe you could freestyle it on beginner or basic with some work, but I don't see that happening on either expert or challenge. And even then, you can't be able to really add movement if you actually want to pass.

The thing is that since DDR has been increasing in difficulty, it's not as easy to play the game as you claim it's intended. Looking at the charts in the newer games, I'm pretty sure even Konami knows that we don't play it that way anymore.

Even though I am as frail as an old bone due to malnourishment, I still can tell that even in PARANOiA Survivor one can freestyle at Expert thanks to the flexibility of the turn.
The only thing one has to do is practice [that is why the game made it to Home Consoles in the first place]
Gotta love:

Post #7 · Posted at 2014-09-24 03:42:09am 9.5 years ago

Offline RGTM
RGTM Avatar Moderator+
7,202 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-19

Nintendo Network ID: xRGTMxNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-6034-2315-7724Game Center Nickname: xRGTMx
"BBCode Not Allowed"
Quote: HaasiD

I know my responses to these things are not as wordy as others, and I apologize for that, but... this is just wrong. There's more than one way to play the game, you know... It doesn't actually have to be strictly dancing...

Also, good luck trying to explain this personally in front of regular DDR players.
ZIv Mod Squad: "shark jumpscare"
https://i.imgur.com/YdfMaWU.gif

Post #8 · Posted at 2014-09-24 03:46:07am 9.5 years ago

Offline King_Mew
King_Mew Avatar Member
269 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-06-27

Nintendo Network ID: mewy573
"Fast 'n Bulbous!"
Well I don't think that the "beatmaniafication" of DDR is what's killing DDR... I just think the general public got tired of it and moved on.

I try to move around a bit when playing DDR, but when hard songs come on I focus more on trying to minimize my excess movement. And I like playing both ways. In my opinion, DDR isn't a dance game. It's a rhythm game. Dance games, like Just Dance and Dance Central, emphasize the actual movement of the body instead of the millisecond-accurate timing of a button press. Trying to get as high a score as possible is one of my top priorities, not because I'm some hardcore elitist beatmania player, but because that's how I enjoy the game. I also love to move around and do all the crossovers, afronova walks, and the occasional spin, but the rhythmic element is the most important part to me.
http://mew151.net/creative/coke_a.png Rippin' bro, you cleared it!

Post #9 · Posted at 2014-09-24 05:05:04am 9.5 years ago

Offline SM MaxX
SM MaxX Avatar Member+
910 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-08-30

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1495-0040-1058
"I play too much touhou"
DDR is getting killed because arcades don't give a fuck anymore about it/don't take care of the machines/haven't kept current since like 2010. That and everyone who played it a decade ago moved on with you know, life and stuff getting in the way.

I kinda don't understand how you bash people for supposedly disapproving of your way of playing the game yet your OP pretty much does exactly that.
http://i.imgur.com/EvGgqSs.png

Post #10 · Posted at 2014-09-24 05:12:34am 9.5 years ago

Offline Silverhawke
Silverhawke Avatar Member+
4,606 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2009-01-27

3DS Friend Code: 3496-9710-9426
"highwind fluffdragon"

Last updated: 2014-09-24 05:14am
You guys don't play DDR the way I want it therefore you guys are wrong and responsible for the death of DDR!

but anyway please do let me know how are you SUPPOSED to freestyle PARANOiA Survivor the way you want it.
my homepage → silverhawke.xyz

Post #11 · Posted at 2014-09-24 06:01:35am 9.5 years ago

Offline 5outh5ide
5outh5ide Avatar Member
140 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2014-07-04

"BABY DON'T CARE"
jeez just play dance evolution then

But really, your argument for why DDR is dying is absolutely imbecilic. It's not dying because people don't "dance" the way the songs are, it's because people stopped caring about arcades ever since home consoles existed.

And your Saber Wing tangent also does not make any sense. Me knowing Saber Wing is a waltz hasn't gotten me an AAA in any of the charts.

About the "beatmaniafication" of the series, I have one question to you.
If the series itself was meant to be "danced", why did Konami make hard as shit charts for some songs that would be nearly impossible to freestyle?

If you cannot answer that question, then I'm sorry, your "this series should be danced instead of just stomping on arrows that you see on screen" argument doesn't hold water.

Post #12 · Posted at 2014-09-24 06:29:29am 9.5 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: maxninja1143DS Friend Code: 392661848995Game Center Nickname: maxninja114
"Charlie isn't real"
Man, I could use this opportunity to really write a thesis on this whole subject, but everyone here has pretty much nailed all the concepts of what is essentially killing off the series since the late 2000's.

You have:
- Overall dissatisfaction of charts dependant on who plays the game.
- A bit of over-saturation for yearly DDR games, including different versions/variations of the game across platforms.
- A 16 YEAR OLD SERIES that hasn't really changed it's formula outside of adding freezes, BPM changes, stops, and 'Shock Arrows'.
- Licensing of music on both sides of the globe.
- Competition between other types of arrow-stomping rhythm games (In The Groove, Pump It Up, Technomotion, etc.) AS WELL as the other types of 'dance' games that boast a wider and more 'popular' song list (Just Dance, Dance Central).
- Lack of arcades in the West due to lack of interest for arcades and how the arcade business model is handled.
- Lack of support for better machines causing piss-poor quality pads and framework for the 'next generation' of DDR games in the West (And the East too if you think about the white DDR 2013 cabinets when they first rolled out. Pad-wise.)
- Other newer and much more addicting rhythm games from BEMANI (jubeat, Reflec Beat, Sound Voltex Booth, etc.).
- Updates in the recent iteration which lack new Konami Originals (so far...).
- Konami abusing it's pay-to-play-more service (PASELI) to charge players for features that should be open to any player only to lock them for PASELI members only (along with e-amuse only features) in Japan.
- Different views/mindsets in each region a.k.a America loves FPS/MMO's/MOBA's while they generally shun games like rhythm games.

There's probably more to add but so far that's all that I can think of. You saying that the reason why some people believe the reason why DDR is not taking off like League of Legends or Call of Duty is because we are playing it 'incorrectly' by only focusing on the scores and not just by 'playing' the game is basically asking yourself to dictate the way people play their games and feeling good about yourself thinking that is the solution to solve this 'problem'. Sadly, no. No it's not.

Post #13 · Posted at 2014-09-24 06:35:56am 9.5 years ago

Offline DevinUp
DevinUp Avatar Member
56 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-04-03

So I've never gotten good enough to do crazy 15 foot songs or whatever, and I'm not all that interested in them anyways. I usually stick to 6-8 footers and just enjoy it. I'm not that competitive, but DDR/Stepmania gets me up and moving and enjoying it. It's decent enough cardio and it doesn't feel like exercise.

I think there are multiple issues that explain the decline of DDR.

1. Decline of Arcades
DDR got to be a big deal because people would see the arcade machines out at the mall or other locations. It got people's attention and was a fun/different experience. People then wanted to try it or play it at home and so the console versions sold well also. Now arcades are not as prevalent and arcade machines aren't being manufactured like they once were. Older DDR machines are usually in pretty bad shape.

2. A streak of bad console releases.
Konami kind of shot itself in the foot by releasing some questionable console versions. The last few DDRs on PS2 were set up a little weirdly, and the PS3 version just wasn't that great. Also, by it not being compatible with PS2 mats, that kind of hurt. I still think if Konami would give it a real effort to revive the franchise, it could be popular. Package in a good mat with a foam insert or something. Just do a super DDR with all of the songs from the PS2 era included. Pack in a great mat and smooth UI and graphics, and I bet people would drop $80 or even $100 on it. Maybe sell a version with a cheaper pad for $60. Or... they could sell the base game with new songs and stuff and then sell the old DDR games' songs as DLC. If they charged $10 per game or maybe like $20 for 20 songs and you could pick out the individual tracks from any of the pre-existing DDR games, then they could make a lot of money that way. I still think quite a few people might be interested.

I don't think it's too late for DDR-type games to become popular again, but it would take a big software release to do so.

Post #14 · Posted at 2014-09-24 11:48:32am 9.5 years ago

Offline HaasiD
HaasiD Avatar Member
9 Posts
Puerto Rico
Reg. 2014-09-23

Last updated: 2014-09-24 11:48am
Quote: 5outh5ide
jeez just play dance evolution then

But really, your argument for why DDR is dying is absolutely imbecilic. It's not dying because people don't "dance" the way the songs are, it's because people stopped caring about arcades ever since home consoles existed.

And your Saber Wing tangent also does not make any sense. Me knowing Saber Wing is a waltz hasn't gotten me an AAA in any of the charts.

About the "beatmaniafication" of the series, I have one question to you.
If the series itself was meant to be "danced", why did Konami make hard as shit charts for some songs that would be nearly impossible to freestyle?

If you cannot answer that question, then I'm sorry, your "this series should be danced instead of just stomping on arrows that you see on screen" argument doesn't hold water.

Home consoles have been around since the 70s bruh, perhaps the consumerism has changed, however, arcades still get a-plenty of visits.

Quote: xRGTMx

I know my responses to these things are not as wordy as others, and I apologize for that, but... this is just wrong. There's more than one way to play the game, you know... It doesn't actually have to be strictly dancing...

Also, good luck trying to explain this personally in front of regular DDR players.

I have explained that to regular starters, and those players have become even better. Nice try.

Quote: Max

There's probably more to add but so far that's all that I can think of. You saying that the reason why some people believe the reason why DDR is not taking off like League of Legends or Call of Duty is because we are playing it 'incorrectly' by only focusing on the scores and not just by 'playing' the game is basically asking yourself to dictate the way people play their games and feeling good about yourself thinking that is the solution to solve this 'problem'. Sadly, no. No it's not.

It is not a judicature. I simply wanted to bring to topic that people have been forgetting what the game is just about. And how people like you who claim that I am imposing such thought are perhaps the reason why there are no more players coming in.

Perhaps it's why.
Gotta love:

Post #15 · Posted at 2014-09-24 12:02:58pm 9.5 years ago

Offline Silverhawke
4,606 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2009-01-27

"highwind fluffdragon"
Quote: 5outh5ide
It's not dying because people don't "dance" the way the songs are, it's because people stopped caring about arcades

you haven't answered some of these

also #PCMasterRace

Post #16 · Posted at 2014-09-24 12:08:08pm 9.5 years ago

Offline NEMESetup
NEMESetup Avatar Member
2,026 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-12-30

"Gimme a mothaf----n' break!"
Dance Dance Revolution is a game that requires stepping on 4 to 8 arrows. It's been this way since 1998. While it is possible to feel a kind of groove with some songs, you're not actually dancing. Real dancing is much, much more involved than what DDR can produce, so to get upset with people "not playing it right" when the main point is to just step on arrows in time with the music is, quite frankly, stupid.

Post #17 · Posted at 2014-09-24 12:11:12pm 9.5 years ago

Offline Silverhawke
4,606 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2009-01-27

"highwind fluffdragon"
I simply wanted to bring to topic that people have been forgetting what the game is just about. And how people like you who claim that I am imposing such thought are perhaps the reason why there are no more players coming in.

Perhaps it's why.

maybe you should go to KONAMI and tell them to stop making hard, un-danceable charts. I mean, they're the ones who decide what songs get in and what kind of charts that go with said songs, right?

Also I'm not the one who came here and accused people of playing the game wrongly. Or accusing people of driving others away from the game.

Post #18 · Posted at 2014-09-24 12:16:39pm 9.5 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
DDR is dying because the newer releases have less unique content in them.

R.I.P. DDR 1998 - 2014

Post #19 · Posted at 2014-09-24 12:20:30pm 9.5 years ago

Offline NEMESetup
NEMESetup Avatar Member
2,026 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-12-30

"Gimme a mothaf----n' break!"

Last updated: 2014-09-24 12:32pm

Not accusing anyone of playing it wrong, huh?

EDIT: Disregard this. I read an above post incorrectly. And Silverhawke, if you thought I was directing that comment towards you, I wasn't. My whole post was directed towards the one who started this thread.

Post #20 · Posted at 2014-09-24 12:27:41pm 9.5 years ago

Offline Lukem1999
Lukem1999 Avatar Member
59 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-07-25

Quote: Silverhawke
maybe you should go to KONAMI and tell them to stop making hard, un-danceable charts.

Maybe we could get performance charts like in PIU!
Thread Locked Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 3% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-04-16 12:29:40
This page took 0.042 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language