Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2014-08-07 05:17:05am 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"
Is there any way you can get in trouble for doing this?
https://i.imgur.com/SSjqpre.png
--EDMix1 -Future Festival- Stage 3 of 6 Released!--
⤑[PROGRESSIVE HOUSE] Gravity / Blackcode & Feerty ft. Marina Lin
⤑[PROGRESSIVE TRANCE] Chromosphere / Farius
⤑[UPLIFTING TRANCE] Stars Collide (XiJaro & Pitch Remix) / Somna & Jennifer Rene
⤑[PROGRESSIVE PSYTRANCE] You Might Get Lost / Julian Calor
⤑[BIG ROOM HARDSTYLE] Wake Up Call (Extended) / Hardwell

Post #2 · Posted at 2014-08-07 05:27:13am 9.7 years ago

Offline Pandemonium X
Pandemonium X Avatar Member
10,358 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-04-06

Nintendo Network ID: PandemoniumEJPNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2916-7192-8116
I don't think so seeing how there's no profit being made with them. I don't know the full details and how it falls under fair use but everything should be fine. If someone like Konami wanted to stop simfiles because of the DDR songs, they would have done it by now. That's how I look at it anyway.

Post #3 · Posted at 2014-08-07 05:40:04am 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"
Well is there a way to "license" the song for a pack, so there would be no way of anything happening? My dad says I can't upload any songs because he doesn't want to get sued for a million dollars.
⤑[UPLIFTING TRANCE] Stars Collide (XiJaro & Pitch Remix) / Somna & Jennifer Rene

Post #4 · Posted at 2014-08-07 05:46:00am 9.7 years ago

Offline ohaiimian
ohaiimian Avatar Member
1,026 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-07-02

It's only illegal if the simfile artist makes money for the simfile. If he makes any money from the simfile through paid advertising, sales, etc. without permission or consent of the copyright owner, then it is illegal.

Post #5 · Posted at 2014-08-07 06:02:32am 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"

Last updated: 2014-08-07 06:02am
Well I did some research myself and it does say it is illegal without the company's permission. So...

How can you make a simfile pack and upload it completely legally?

Post #6 · Posted at 2014-08-07 06:15:37am 9.7 years ago

Offline Astroman129
Astroman129 Avatar Member
1,957 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-02-25

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-6942-4517-60103DS Friend Code: 0645-5928-9360
" ♫~~ I'm wired to the world ~~♫"

Last updated: 2014-08-07 06:16am
It probably doesn't fall under fair use.

Quote: Wikipedia
In L.A. Times v. Free Republic, the court found that the noncommercial use of LA Times content by the Free Republic Web site was in fact not fair use, since it allowed the public to obtain material at no cost that they would otherwise pay for.

So it's probably illegal, but you won't have any record companies banging on your door.

EDIT: If you're looking for a way to upload them legally, that's probably impossible unless you're really good at finding loopholes in the legal system.

Post #7 · Posted at 2014-08-07 06:22:43am 9.7 years ago

Offline chewi
chewi Avatar Member+
8,537 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-02-24

I guess it is illegal, but nothing has been done about it. It's not like this site or similar sites have been issued a cease & desist letter because of hosting simfiles (feel free to show me if they have, i'm genuinely curious). If we're talking about breaking the law, doesn't your signature infringe on KONAMI's copyright (using SABER WING graphics)? You're still here and haven't been taken down or sued, so... Tongue Ultimately, it's your decision on whether or not you want to upload the music files (with the steps and other things) but it's not like the government is spying on you and watching your every move, waiting to break in your house and slap you with a lawsuit. Effectively, to "legally" use any of the music along with the .sm files with which they are distributed, you have to own the music, have permission from the author to use it, etc. But this hasn't stopped people from downloading files. To anyone who cares, it's technically illegal. I personally don't see anything wrong with it because hopefully nobody is making a profit from simfiles. Also I honestly don't think a bunch of lawyers want to deal with some silly stuff dedicated to a dead dancing simulation game, but that's just my opinion again.

Post #8 · Posted at 2014-08-07 06:30:24am 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"
Well I might just actually take the time to contact each and every publishing company so I have permission. I am concerned about this because my dad would be responsible for anything that happens. But I have no idea how that will work.

Post #9 · Posted at 2014-08-07 06:36:44am 9.7 years ago

Offline Astroman129
1,957 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-02-25

It's probably difficult to get their approval, from my understanding. And if they don't approve... then this site could face some pretty serious backlash. Hmmph.

But honestly, ZIV is listed as the 515572nd most popular site in the world according to Alexa. I wouldn't worry about getting their approval too much.

Post #10 · Posted at 2014-08-07 06:53:11am 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"
Quote: Astroman129
And if they don't approve... then this site could face some pretty serious backlash.
I doubt they would disapprove it because it definitely helps make their music more popular.

Post #11 · Posted at 2014-08-07 06:55:06am 9.7 years ago

Offline Astroman129
1,957 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-02-25

It's not all that black and white. I'm sure that many other issues go into it.

Post #12 · Posted at 2014-08-07 07:07:31am 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"
Let's just be thankful that SOPA didn't happen.

Post #13 · Posted at 2014-08-07 07:55:01am 9.7 years ago

Offline al2k4
al2k4 Avatar Admin
9,387 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2006-05-01

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-6451-2397-9509
"BEMANI Sound Team"
Quote: darkanine
Quote: Astroman129
And if they don't approve... then this site could face some pretty serious backlash.
I doubt they would disapprove it because it definitely helps make their music more popular.

Record companies won't want their music to be distributed for free, no matter the justification.

Post #14 · Posted at 2014-08-07 08:35:50am 9.7 years ago

Offline bmhedgehog
bmhedgehog Avatar Banned+
3,136 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-07-13

"BANNED"
Even if they were to approve then be totally prepared to pay out the ass as royalty fees could range from hundreds to thousands of dollars.

So if you are really, really worried and concerned about it, then I highly suggest not going though with it.

I know that I'm not worried about it as I have absolutely no interest in making money off of this. It is very helpful to actually own the DDR games to cover your butt.

Post #15 · Posted at 2014-08-07 08:39:39am 9.7 years ago

Offline Kon
Kon Avatar Member
1,288 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-02

"OMG KON!"
The only way this technically legal is if you already own the song you are downloading/uploading. You should upload having at least some faith that the people downloading already own the song. You are just providing the cut necessary to the audio file as well as the other content necessary to use it in the way you need.

If the song was altered in some way that would fall under transformation, stepcharts included with the original edit of the song does not fall under this jurisdiction or any other rule considered "fair use". Any royalty free music or non commercially licensed audio would fall under fair use.

Post #16 · Posted at 2014-08-07 09:41:55am 9.7 years ago

Offline Lisek
Lisek Avatar Member
471 Posts
Poland
Reg. 2011-09-08

The only way this technically legal is if you already own the song you are downloading/uploading. You should upload having at least some faith that the people downloading already own the song. You are just providing the cut necessary to the audio file as well as the other content necessary to use it in the way you need.
It's not as easy. At least in Poland the law says that you can download pretty much anything from movies or music (as it was shared) but you can't upload or build upon not yours materials. Simmakers (at least from the view of Polish law) are pirates - deal with it. The thing is thought that we don't do much harm. We don't upload whole albums, most of times we don't even upload whole songs. And here I will be talking from my experience but I never ripped song from CD or anywhere else - I have been always using resources that are floating on net.

I haven't heard about any simmaker being chased because of simfiles. But I did heard some positive words from music makers to the stepmakers. Overall I would say that simmaking is illegal... but safe. They have much bigger fish to catch.

If you want be 100% sure about your legal issues then search for songs on proper licences. Read about http://creativecommons.org/ , read about other licenses that allow modification of source in your own projects. And where to grab the songs? Search portals like newgrounds or soundcloud for songs with fitting licenses.

Post #17 · Posted at 2014-08-07 10:19:29am 9.7 years ago

Offline SM MaxX
SM MaxX Avatar Member+
910 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-08-30

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1495-0040-1058
"I play too much touhou"
The simfile community is so niche compared to the general music listening public that no one would realistically care enough to hunt down people in this community for it

Unless you're twitch and are extremely paranoid about people DLing streams of Grand Theft Auto to grab music

http://i.imgur.com/EvGgqSs.png

Post #18 · Posted at 2014-08-07 02:17:58pm 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"
Well no one has ever been in trouble on this site for this, and even if someone did, all that they would do is have to take their simfiles down. No suing nessecary. So what I think I'm going to do is include a link on the page where I have the simfile to buy the full song.

Post #19 · Posted at 2014-08-07 03:04:20pm 9.7 years ago

Offline Tyma
Tyma Avatar Member
2,309 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-05-31

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1148-0077

Last updated: 2014-08-07 03:06pm
Quote: Kon

If the song was altered in some way that would fall under transformation, stepcharts included with the original edit of the song does not fall under this jurisdiction or any other rule considered "fair use". Any royalty free music or non commercially licensed audio would fall under fair use.

It does fall under Fair Use. The piece being uploaded to the internet is a complete work, which is 25% copyrighted music, 25% self-developed code and 50% artistic illustration. Even the 25% copyrighted music is often transformed.

It would be really hard for anyone to argue that you haven't incorporated the music into your own, original work of art, and nobody is going to track down and sue someone for constructive use of music, when they have millions of people sitting on bittorrent, sharing full albums with unobstructed IP addresses.

Post #20 · Posted at 2014-08-07 03:17:41pm 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"

Last updated: 2014-08-07 03:18pm
Tyma is right.

Is the new work merely a copy of the original? If it is simply a copy, it is not as likely to be considered fair use.
Does the new work offer something above and beyond the original? Does it transform the original work in some way? If the work is altered significantly, used for another purpose, appeals to a different audience, it more likely to be considered fair use (NOLO, 2010, para. 6). Recent case law has increasingly focused on transformative use to make fair use determinations – for a discussion of this topic see Lultschik, 2010.
Is the use of the copyrighted work for nonprofit or educational purposes? The use of copyrighted works for nonprofit or educational purposes is more likely to be considered fair use (NOLO, 2010, para. 6).

Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 5% · Database: 8% · Server Time: 2024-04-18 13:23:55
This page took 0.018 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language