Post #81 · Posted at 2014-08-14 12:27:57am 9.6 years ago

Offline Cowtao
Cowtao Avatar Member
1,984 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-05-08

"This hat hurts"
DDR X was a mixed bag.

In Japan, new players experience some decent licenses and got to have songs like Suki Melo early. They also had access to returning songs from other games such as Afronova Primeval, Paranoia ~Respect~, Sexy Planet, and others. It's like they had a cleanser palette and a cabinet of decent songs they can choose from. However, the songlist in itself can be subpar at best compared to Supernova 2 which arguably ROFLstomps the entire license list of DDR X. It's not like the mix is bad in anyway, it's just not as spectacular as Supernova 2 was.

The american release was decent as well. Minus the cleanser palette of revived songs, we got a majority of the licenses from Supernova 2 (JAP). That in itself propels it from bad as Supernova 2 arguably has one of the most heavily favorited songlists in DDR History bartering next to other games such as EXTREME and 4thMIX PLUS. What does suck is that a lot of the cool licenses were pushed back to X2 and we got stuck with the crappy licenses from DDR X. (Minus a few obvious ones like Flourish/On The Bounce/Saber Wing) Overall, even without the better licenses and revived songs, America had a better X port over Japan. If you don't like that fite me. >:I

In the arcade, the cabinets were notoriously faulty even in Japan. They did somehow make it up with a slew of X-Edits for many fan-favorite songs but it didn't do anybody justice if the pads sucked. Luckily, Japan's arcade machines eventually got fixed in X2 but in America, they were never fixed. Ever. That's why you don't see many X Cabinets in America. They all sucked. :x

So overall, it's a mixed opinion kinda thing. To each is own.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/User%20Names/Cowtao.png
Thanks toon for the smexy Banner!

Post #82 · Posted at 2014-08-25 07:42:19pm 9.6 years ago

Offline mageman17
mageman17 Avatar Member
2,102 Posts
Philippines
Reg. 2008-06-15

"MAGGLE"

Last updated: 2014-08-26 11:32am
It's a mixed reaction, definitely. Personally, DDR X's charm lies on the stepcharts. It may have made the songs overall easier than SN2,
but it definitely made them fun to try, even the harder charts.

I've said once that DDR X had an "Ultramix invasion" due to the stateside music that the late Stillwind Borenstein brought to the game
and while I liked some of the other artists he brought in like Akira Ishihara and OR-IF-IS, I wasn't a fan of A Different Drum and the synthpop inspired songs.

As for the arcade, well the machine quality was enough to give it a bad rep, but the bad support Betson gave and the decision to not support SN and SN2 machines (I believe someone coined the question, "This hunk of scrap is where we are supposed to play the newer mixes?", or something to that effect), just pushed it far off the cliff that the arcade operators didn't bat an eyelid when X2 was released.

EDIT: May I also say that few, if any, of the familiar DDR composers made new songs for DDR X. There were no new songs from Sota, U1,
DJ Taka, jun, etc. and main DDR series players were supposed to dance or even care about other artists like DKC Crew, Tommie Sunshine, Bill Hamel, etc. (no offense).

I remember it being a breath of fresh air when I saw gameplay footage of DDR X2 PS2. It looks vaguely like DDR X, but now with songs from the above mentioned familiar artists.
http://i.imgur.com/wX5XjLU.png

Thank you so much, Lord Toon!
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 3% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-04-19 04:56:09
This page took 0.006 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language