Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2014-07-10 08:36:47pm 9.7 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

"I'm honestly pissed off."
What features would you like to see in SM5?

Post the features you would like to see in SM5 and how much you're willing to pay for them. Email me at kyzentun at gmail dot com to make arrangements.

As you all know, StepMania is written by volunteers. As one of those volunteers, I personally am unemployed and thus have plenty of free time to spend on StepMania. But I'd also like to eat. So if you have a suggestion, I'm going to ignore it unless you can back it up with money.

Some suggestions would involve a huge amount of work, and thus would require a lot of backing to even consider working on. Obviously multiple people should pool their money for such suggestions.

Anything that requires theme side support will not show up in the default theme unless there's an additional $100 backing for it. They'll be implemented in Consensual regardless, because I have to make sure they work, but the default theme is not my domain, so it's more troublesome to change.

Suggestions should range from small API additions to bug fixes.

Unreasonable suggestions:

Rewrite edit mode from scratch. ($10k, 6 months work)
If I touch edit mode at all, It's not going to be for "add this one little feature". Adding little bits at a time it not the way to go, and the underlying structure has limitations that I personally want to change. I'd like to simultaneously edit and view multiple charts.

4/N Player/pad mode. ($15k, 8 months work)
As far as I'm concerned, more than 2 players or more than 2 pads is such a small niche it's not worth making stuff for. Plus, almost literally everything that touches players is based on having only 2. This would also involve rewriting edit mode to support making content for the extra pads.

With the big "not going to happen, ever" stuff out of the way, post your smaller, reasonable, suggestions for features to add to the StepMania engine.

Additionally, if you want me to write lua for your SM5 theme, I can do that too. Writing lua can be hard, and you just want to make pretty looking graphics. That's why "artist" and "programmer" are separate jobs. Or you have a solid idea, but no skill (or free time) to implement it.
I can also convert some lua-based simfile to work on SM5, that can be handled on a case-by-case basis. Theme and simfile work will only be done on the nightly builds, and I'll add engine features if I feel like I need to, so any lua I write will not necessarily work on beta 3.

What I'm currently working on:
Error reporting. A convenient way to see errors encountered while running theme code or loading metrics, without opening the log file. Additionally, any theme error that used to crash stepmania will print an error through this system instead (unless it's seriously fatal, some things cannot be protected against).

silenttype01: Kyzentun is never harsh. He says it how it is.

GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Post #2 · Posted at 2014-07-10 09:18:48pm 9.7 years ago

Offline dbk2
dbk2 Avatar Member
332 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2012-04-30

Perhaps the denizens of Zenius-i-Vanisher should pool their money and pay Kyzentun to finish STARLiGHT...

Post #3 · Posted at 2014-07-12 06:42:55am 9.7 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

Someone paid me to convert TaroNuke's "KarateMan" simfile, so here's that.
http://kyzentun.tejat.net/sm5_conversions/KarateMan.zip

GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Post #4 · Posted at 2014-07-12 06:45:50am 9.7 years ago

Offline BemaniHyper
BemaniHyper Avatar Member+
1,434 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-09-13

Quote: dbk2
Perhaps the denizens of Zenius-i-Vanisher should pool their money and pay Kyzentun to finish STARLiGHT...

I would definitely pay money for this.

Post #5 · Posted at 2014-07-12 06:51:10am 9.7 years ago

Offline hooky
hooky Avatar Member
2,683 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-28

I'd love to see the SN+ characters (DDRII maybe?) in SM, with swappable stages and such. I'm sure that would take a very long time though, trying to crack the character sequences/bones. I would assume the character system would need to be rewritten completely in order for this to work.

How difficult would being able to select a group of RandomMovies like a character in-game as an alternative?

Post #6 · Posted at 2014-07-12 07:15:24am 9.7 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

Last updated: 2014-07-12 07:24am
Quote: PinkiePieGamer
Quote: dbk2

I would definitely pay money for this.
The following applies to any theme, not just STARLIGHT:
Whoever is doing the graphics would need to send me the images to work with and where they need to be used, and any special feature requests and I'll start work on it when money is organized. If multiple people pool for it, I'll post the total amount allocated towards it here., along with an estimate for how much longer it'll take.
I'll probably include some features from Consensual, like the bucket sorted music wheel (making it display banners/jackets will be trivial), and the configurable pain display.
Also, it would make life far easier if the graphics artist can hang out on IRC for chatting. I'm always connected to irc.rizon.net in the channel #r21freak.

Quote: hooky
I'd love to see the SN+ characters (DDRII maybe?) in SM, with swappable stages and such. I'm sure that would take a very long time though, trying to crack the character sequences/bones. I would assume the character system would need to be rewritten completely in order for this to work.

How difficult would being able to select a group of RandomMovies like a character in-game as an alternative?
I am not going to try to crack any of Konami's data, or make any tool for the express purpose of importing their copyrighted data.

Making RandomMovies be placed in directories inside the RandomMovies folder and having the player pick one on the Player Options screen would probably only take a few hours of work, so I'll say $30 for the engine side of the feature and $20 to put it in the default/_fallback themes.

Post #7 · Posted at 2014-07-12 10:06:34am 9.7 years ago

Offline Nicolas
Nicolas Avatar Member
1,511 Posts
Philippines
Reg. 2009-10-25

I'd like to see alternate versions of songs be incorporated into one simfile.
Kind of like those certain DDR X2 songs where you can play their alternate Chinese versions on Challenge difficulty.
https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/pictures/4888-1498815316.pnghttps://zenius-i-vanisher.com/pictures/4888-1490970355[0].png

Post #8 · Posted at 2014-07-12 10:09:56am 9.7 years ago

Offline SokDion
SokDion Avatar Member
575 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2010-07-01

"noise."
Maybe the use of mouse to navigate the menus easier?

Post #9 · Posted at 2014-07-12 10:16:18am 9.7 years ago

Offline BemaniHyper
1,434 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-09-13

Quote: Nicolas
I'd like to see alternate versions of songs be incorporated into one simfile.
Kind of like those certain DDR X2 songs where you can play their alternate Chinese versions on Challenge difficulty.

Or like the long versions/short versions in DDR II. Or how in X2, it randomly selects which version of GOLD RUSH to play.

Post #10 · Posted at 2014-07-12 10:46:50am 9.7 years ago

Offline Nicolas
Nicolas Avatar Member
1,511 Posts
Philippines
Reg. 2009-10-25

Last updated: 2014-07-12 10:47am
GOLD RUSH to play.

Same goes with the EVOLVED songs. I'd assume this requires coding to make those special folders to make this possible.
https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/pictures/4888-1498815316.pnghttps://zenius-i-vanisher.com/pictures/4888-1490970355[0].png

Post #11 · Posted at 2014-07-12 03:39:05pm 9.7 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

Last updated: 2014-07-12 06:05pm
I have a notion for how I could implement "songs" (call them "alternating songs") that actually randomly lead to other songs in Consensual, and it could be done with a bit more difficulty for any individual theme. Doing it engine side so it happens in any theme would also be possible.
It would require the user to use a special configuration screen to configure which songs act as random portals to other screens, but the resulting config file could be copied between people that have the same group and song folder names. All songs would still show up on the song wheel, but when any song is chosen, a random song would be picked from its "alternation group" to be played instead.
I'll say $80 to do it with only Consensual having the configuration screen, $40 to create the configuration screen for any other theme (which won't be as easy to use, since nothing else has Consensual's music wheel, which will be used for picking what songs go in groups). Same price whether it's an engine feature that happens regardless of theme (as long as the config file exists), or only in Consensual.
I've seen a lot of people mention wanting this feature over the years, so it shouldn't be hard for 10 or so people to each contribute some amount and cover the whole cost.

Mouse navigation in menus will probably require a lot of work and require adding code to every screen that needs it in every theme that wants to use it. I'd need to think about it a lot more to start estimating how much work it would be, but it'd certainly be more than one person is going to be willing to pay.

Also, anyone who doesn't want to pay some random dude on the internet but wants some engine-side feature can donate to the stepmania team (there's a donation button on the side of the downloads page), and include a message of what they want with that. Simfile/theme work of course has to go direct to me.

Post #12 · Posted at 2014-07-12 04:19:15pm 9.7 years ago

Offline blehe38
blehe38 Avatar Member
241 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-03-30

"Trash Begets Trash"
Having speed-ups/downs, stops, etc. that are exclusive to one diificulty.

Post #13 · Posted at 2014-07-12 04:21:31pm 9.7 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

Quote: blehe38
Having speed-ups/downs, stops, etc. that are exclusive to one diificulty.
That's been in SM5 for over a year. Use the "Step Timing" toggle in edit mode.

Post #14 · Posted at 2014-07-12 09:06:29pm 9.7 years ago

Offline King_Mew
King_Mew Avatar Member
269 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-06-27

Nintendo Network ID: mewy573
"Fast 'n Bulbous!"
GOLD RUSH to play.

Same goes with the EVOLVED songs. I'd assume this requires coding to make those special folders to make this possible.
I've been thinking of coding this feature into Stepmania for a while and I recently started browsing the codebase to look for the best way to add this feature. So yeah, if you don't want to pay for it I could maybe try to implement a hacked-up solution.

Basically it would involve a new file format that resembles .sm files. It would contain all the general step information such as title and stuff, and then it would link to child directories with the actual simfiles in it.

Planned format of "Multi-simfile" song file:
#TITLE:Tohoku EVOLVED
#SUBTITLE:;
#ARTIST:2.1MB underground;
#TITLETRANSLIT:;
#SUBTITLETRANSLIT:;
#ARTISTTRANSLIT:;
#CREDIT:;
#BANNER:Tohoku EVOLVED.png;
#BACKGROUND:Tohoku EVOLVED-bg.png;
#MUSIC:Tohoku EVOLVED.ogg;
//MUSIC tag is for the sample only, I guess
#SAMPLESTART:1.420;
#SAMPLELENGTH:15.000;
#SELECTABLE:YES;
#DISPLAYBPM:340;

#DIRECTORIES:Tohoku EVOLVED (TYPE1),Tohoku EVOLVED (TYPE2),Tohoku EVOLVED (TYPE3),Tohoku EVOLVED (TYPE4);
//Names of subdirectories for alternative simfiles

oh wait this is Kyzentun's thread oops
http://mew151.net/creative/coke_a.png Rippin' bro, you cleared it!

Post #15 · Posted at 2014-07-12 09:11:20pm 9.7 years ago

Offline BemaniHyper
1,434 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-09-13

Also, there's some songs that have different versions when selected with the roulette. That would be cool to have in SM.

Post #16 · Posted at 2014-07-12 09:22:50pm 9.7 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

Quote: King_Mew
GOLD RUSH to play.
I've been thinking of coding this feature into Stepmania for a while and I recently started browsing the codebase to look for the best way to add this feature. So yeah, if you don't want to pay for it I could maybe try to implement a hacked-up solution.
Hey man, don't try to undercut me, I'm eating rice and vinegar just to stay alive over here.

Post #17 · Posted at 2014-07-15 06:05:42am 9.7 years ago

Offline BemaniHyper
1,434 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-09-13

Preferred sort for folders. In default sort, folders will always sort alphabetically; however, in preferred folder sort you would be able to sort them any way you like.

An example of this would be wanting to sort DDR folders by chronological release rather than alphabetical order (right now I'm forced to name the DDRMAX folder "DDR 6thMIX -MAX-" to keep the folders in order). With preferred folder sort, I could put DDRMAX anywhere I want in the songwheel without having to rename the folder to something odd.

Post #18 · Posted at 2014-07-15 08:33:09am 9.7 years ago

Offline NuVirus
NuVirus Avatar Member
694 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-10-10

A switch that can be toggled to turn on or off the generation/use of .ssc files, over .sm files. Transferring simfiles between SM4 & SM5 can be a real pain sometimes because of .ssc files.
"I never really got better, I just learned to accept that some people aren't meant to be happy in this world. It makes it easier when you're not hoping for something that will never come." -IndependentThinker2

Post #19 · Posted at 2014-07-15 08:35:08am 9.7 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

Quote: NuVirus
A switch that can be toggled to turn on or off the generation/use of .ssc files, over .sm files. Transferring simfiles between SM4 & SM5 can be a real pain sometimes because of .ssc files.
Solution: Stop using SM4.

Post #20 · Posted at 2014-07-15 08:54:44am 9.7 years ago

Offline NuVirus
NuVirus Avatar Member
694 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-10-10

Quote: Kyzentun
Quote: NuVirus
Solution: Stop using SM4.

With all due respect, not if I can help it. From my experiences, SM5 is too difficult for me to work with when editing simfiles, so I use SM4 for that.

However, with playing & testing the charts, I prefer to use SM5 for it's additional speed mods, and screen filters.

In short, I cannot not use both. So apparently, my switch idea isn't doable at all? Not even at least some consideration?
"I never really got better, I just learned to accept that some people aren't meant to be happy in this world. It makes it easier when you're not hoping for something that will never come." -IndependentThinker2
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 3% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-03-28 13:15:46
This page took 0.013 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language