Logo

In a little of a slump, could use advice?

Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2014-07-05 04:37:43am 9.7 years ago

Offline AaronDesu
AaronDesu Avatar Member
7 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2012-12-30

I'm in sort of a DDR slump. I gotten interested in the game a couple of years ago and use to play with a certain group of people. Back then, I was basically taught and competed against others. Since I moved, I haven't touched DDR in about 2 years, but I've picked up the game again after finding out there was a DDR 2013 machine in my area. I visit it about 4-5 times a week.

I'm in a little of a slump. I'm at a point where I can clear songs up to 12 (X Scale) with a C or higher, however I still have trouble with things like cross overs. I was wondering if people could recommend me some songs to help work on just core things I should know before moving on to the next "level" basically.

Post #2 · Posted at 2014-07-05 04:43:57am 9.7 years ago

Offline Silverhawke
Silverhawke Avatar Member+
4,606 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2009-01-27

3DS Friend Code: 3496-9710-9426
"highwind fluffdragon"
Are you capable of hitting arrows or does your timing need some work?

Crossovers... I'd recommend doing stuff like SUNKISS DROP? Or maybe like Polovtsian Dances And Chorus... I dunno.
my homepage → silverhawke.xyz

Post #3 · Posted at 2014-07-05 04:46:46am 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"

Last updated: 2014-07-05 04:46am
You know what? You're overcomplicating it. I was in the same exact situation as you are. Just practice and practice. Try all sorts of songs. You will get better by practice. Hope this helps.

Also, it looks like you live in California. I do to. So maybe I could help you.
https://i.imgur.com/SSjqpre.png
--EDMix1 -Future Festival- Stage 3 of 6 Released!--
⤑[PROGRESSIVE HOUSE] Gravity / Blackcode & Feerty ft. Marina Lin
⤑[PROGRESSIVE TRANCE] Chromosphere / Farius
⤑[UPLIFTING TRANCE] Stars Collide (XiJaro & Pitch Remix) / Somna & Jennifer Rene
⤑[PROGRESSIVE PSYTRANCE] You Might Get Lost / Julian Calor
⤑[BIG ROOM HARDSTYLE] Wake Up Call (Extended) / Hardwell

Post #4 · Posted at 2014-07-05 07:27:09am 9.7 years ago

Offline AaronDesu
AaronDesu Avatar Member
7 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2012-12-30

Quote: darkanine
You know what? You're overcomplicating it. I was in the same exact situation as you are. Just practice and practice. Try all sorts of songs. You will get better by practice. Hope this helps.

Also, it looks like you live in California. I do to. So maybe I could help you.
I hope that is the case. There's obviously better methods of getting ahead, so I want to know the songs that kind of help the core of harder songs.

I'm a frequent go-er of the Sunnyvale Golfland, so you're right about California. When I'm in So. Cal I make sure to visit Super Arcade and Round 1 Punte Hills though.

Quote: Silverhawke
Are you capable of hitting arrows or does your timing need some work?

Crossovers... I'd recommend doing stuff like SUNKISS DROP? Or maybe like Polovtsian Dances And Chorus... I dunno.
I believe my timing is alright. I'm really proficient with single note streams (blue->red->blue->red @ 160-300BPM). When a crossover happens, I usually stumble on it. When yellow notes pop up, I tend to freeze up a bit and get "greats".

I've AA'ed "A" from Extreme once. I've recently been A'ing it too if that helps.

Post #5 · Posted at 2014-07-05 07:38:27am 9.7 years ago

Offline NuVirus
NuVirus Avatar Member
694 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-10-10

There's no way around it, you'll just HAVE to perform crossovers as they are, and not double-step them. The sooner you break the double-stepping habit, the better. Of course, part of the problem is that on DDR, sometimes it's not that easy to tell what's going to be a crossover or a double step.

May I suggest giving ITG a try? It could help with practicing crossovers, as the charts on ITG seem to flow better.
"I never really got better, I just learned to accept that some people aren't meant to be happy in this world. It makes it easier when you're not hoping for something that will never come." -IndependentThinker2

Post #6 · Posted at 2014-07-05 07:49:00am 9.7 years ago

Offline AaronDesu
AaronDesu Avatar Member
7 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2012-12-30

Oh, definitely, I know Crossovers are needed. I'm trying to figure out what kind of routine of songs I need to practice specifics.

Unfortunately, I have no access to ITG in my area (or I just can't find one). I might move my Metal I-On pad to where I live and play stepmania on my computer. Not sure if that will help.

Post #7 · Posted at 2014-07-05 07:53:54am 9.7 years ago

Offline NuVirus
NuVirus Avatar Member
694 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-10-10

Quote: AaronDesu
Oh, definitely, I know Crossovers are needed. I'm trying to figure out what kind of routine of songs I need to practice specifics.

Unfortunately, I have no access to ITG in my area (or I just can't find one). I might move my Metal I-On pad to where I live and play stepmania on my computer. Not sure if that will help.

If you can download some crossover simfiles/charts onto StepMania (officials aren't the only thing you should try), that could also help.
"I never really got better, I just learned to accept that some people aren't meant to be happy in this world. It makes it easier when you're not hoping for something that will never come." -IndependentThinker2

Post #8 · Posted at 2014-07-05 10:09:16am 9.7 years ago

Offline Highflyer
Highflyer Avatar Member+
146 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2007-01-28

air (DJ Simon) on Expert should be a pretty good start for learning crossovers as the freezes on it often force you to do them. In a similar vain, Kiss Kiss Kiss is a slightly more difficult and faster song with similar parts.

Other than that - what everyone else has suggested - practice, go through songs you've not played before, the more you play outright the better your play will become.
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/ddrsig/697.png

Post #9 · Posted at 2014-07-05 03:35:06pm 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"

Last updated: 2014-07-05 03:35pm
About super arcade. I will be going there pretty often. So we could always have a contest there. But about your DDR slump. You're playing DDR because you want to get better at it. You should play DDR just because its fun. If all you're thinking about is improving, you're clearly not having as much fun as you could be. Don't make DDR a job, make it a hobby. And what if you aren't getting better immediately. At least you are having fun. And you will get better with time.
⤑[UPLIFTING TRANCE] Stars Collide (XiJaro & Pitch Remix) / Somna & Jennifer Rene

Post #10 · Posted at 2014-07-05 07:04:55pm 9.7 years ago

Offline [ICNH]
[ICNH] Avatar Banned
157 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-25

About super arcade. I will be going there pretty often. So we could always have a contest there. But about your DDR slump. You're playing DDR because you want to get better at it. You should play DDR just because its fun. If all you're thinking about is improving, you're clearly not having as much fun as you could be. Don't make DDR a job, make it a hobby. And what if you aren't getting better immediately. At least you are having fun. And you will get better with time.

Try not to project the way you play the game onto others. A lot of why I play DDR is because I want to improve and get better than I was yesterday. That IS fun for me. They're not mutually exclusive endeavors.

Anyway, I play a bit at SVGL so if you see me, you can ask me questions or watch my playstyle. Maybe something will help.

Post #11 · Posted at 2014-07-05 07:16:12pm 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"

Last updated: 2014-07-05 07:18pm
Quote: [ICNH} -damn BBcode

Try not to project the way you play the game onto others. A lot of why I play DDR is because I want to improve and get better than I was yesterday. That IS fun for me. They're not mutually exclusive endeavors.

Anyway, I play a bit at SVGL so if you see me, you can ask me questions or watch my playstyle. Maybe something will help.

Yeah you are right. Everybody plays DDR to improve, even me too. But no one should get upset because they're not improving right away. It takes time. But as long as you challenge yourself when you play, you will get better over time.

Post #12 · Posted at 2014-07-05 08:11:12pm 9.7 years ago

Offline warpdr!ve
warpdr!ve Avatar Member
339 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-09-15

"Fairy-nough"
Going off of the not projecting, it took me a really long time to learn to crossover well, and frankly I'm still really bad at it now.

The point being, everyone's paths in which they progress are different to, so if you're getting stuck with something perhaps don't worry about it and revisit it later - double steps are still valid and you don't have to be good at crosses or even do them. Ultimately what you want to do is on you. Best of luck!
https://i.imgur.com/tWT2soq.png

Thanks to Lord Toon for the wonderful sig image!

If you'd like a review on a contest chart, PM me! (Reviews will probably be given on or around the Friday after the PM fyi.)

Post #13 · Posted at 2014-07-06 05:30:13am 9.7 years ago

Offline AaronDesu
AaronDesu Avatar Member
7 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2012-12-30

All in all, what I got from this thread was basically to branch out more with a few songs to help me with crossovers. I'll be doing that. Thanks for all your input.

@darkannie:
I'm not upset. I guess I should have worded it differently, but I feel like I sort of reached a plateau of my personal skill level.

@warpdr!ve:
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Quote: [ICNH

Hopefully we can meet at Punte Hills. I don't think I'll be checking out Super Arcade until they put back DDR 2013 in. Reading notes without the filter is just way too difficult for me.

By slump, I mean I haven't seen any significant progress compared to what I see in the past. Passing my first expert song was very thrilling for me, so in my case "getting better" is "more fun" for me. I wanted kind of some routine songs to help sort of the basics to moving on to the next level.

I do play DDR because it's fun, but the level I'm at limits me from playing songs like "Mei" and "Kimono Princess" on expert. They look superbly fun, but I just cannot compete at that level. To have even more fun, I have to get "better" haha.

Post #14 · Posted at 2014-07-06 02:25:25pm 9.7 years ago

Offline darkanine
darkanine Avatar Member+
1,332 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-06-30

"bing bong"
I wish you the best of luck. So try some 13s and when you're good at those, try some 14s. Keep on moving forward. And don't forget to have fun!

Post #15 · Posted at 2014-07-06 04:07:02pm 9.7 years ago

Offline Silverhawke
4,606 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2009-01-27

"highwind fluffdragon"
Quote: AaronDesu
but I feel like I sort of reached a plateau of my personal skill level.

keep setting goals above what you can do. several years ago a friend remarked something along the lines of "yeah, MAX 300 and MAXX Unlimited is pretty much the best he can do" (referring to me). at that time i was only able to scrape a pass on those songs. now i PFCed those already.

Post #16 · Posted at 2014-07-06 04:26:40pm 9.7 years ago

Offline PaperSak
PaperSak Avatar Member
1,248 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-09-16

Nintendo Network ID: PaperSak3DS Friend Code: 2363-5848-1224
"Take your hater shades off."
Aren't some people anti-crossover and basically double step everything that isn't governed by a freeze arrow? I know one guy like that, anyway. If you do wanna learn crossovers, you sorta have to force yourself to learn them, I guess. Play some on a controller until you can see which songs actually take you back to facing forward instead of being scarred by spins that leave you in weird places. xP

Whaaaat there's a 2013 around there and not a ton of people to play with? Not sure how close you are to the arcade, but 4-5 times a week sounds like a lot. Maybe take a break and then you'll have DDR withdrawal. Tongue Or maybe you can gather the other players in your area and have a few meetups everyone can make. It's oodles more fun with other people, as you may remember when you used to compete. Big Grin

I've been stuck at old-scale 10s since... well, since they were on the old scale. Played it safe for years and am getting closer to AAAs. If you like some songs, try to improve your scores. Pretty soon they'll be so easy you'll have to move up to something harder, I think.

Post #17 · Posted at 2014-07-06 04:31:17pm 9.7 years ago

Offline Silverhawke
4,606 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2009-01-27

"highwind fluffdragon"
Quote: PaperSak
Aren't some people anti-crossover and basically double step everything that isn't governed by a freeze arrow?

you need to know the rules before you can break them Tongue i double step pretty much everything unless it's a quick stream (like 140~bpm 16ths)... i can double step the entirety of Arrabiatta and i prefer to do it that way lol

Post #18 · Posted at 2014-07-06 11:16:29pm 9.7 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: maxninja1143DS Friend Code: 392661848995Game Center Nickname: maxninja114
"Charlie isn't real"
If I feel like it, I actually do crossovers, but most of the time I just double step because the way I was raised when playing the game. I originally double-stepped crossovers not knowing what a successful crossover was (well, technically I did) seeing that I found it more 'useful' to do because I was more focused on looking at the screen and I was young at the time so I didn't build up the technique to really twist my body for a crossover, but over time I was able to get the technique down along with other patterns.

It'll take time to get used to them, and other step patterns, but once you get them down it should be cake from there, then again you may play much differently than I do, so your technique may vary depending on how comfortable you move while playing. So just do what you think is best and less-stamina inducing to pass a song, the scores are always there to tell you how well you did on the song, not exactly HOW you managed it ;)

Post #19 · Posted at 2014-07-31 12:59:32pm 9.6 years ago

Offline tj28
tj28 Avatar Member
107 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-05-30

Last updated: 2014-07-31 01:01pm

This really is true.

Also, the better you get, the slower your progress will be. There's no way around that.

Quote: PaperSak
Aren't some people anti-crossover and basically double step everything that isn't governed by a freeze arrow?

This is kind of offtopic but I double step everything, including freeze arrow crossovers. I've burned this technique into my brain so much that it's completely subconscious and I would have real trouble doing crossovers legitimately if you asked me to. I don't think there many negative side-effects with this method...If the crossover is slow ("slow" is relative, but for me, it's 99% of them) I can PA/FA that section with ease. With those really fast, really stupid crossover sections it's much much more stamina efficient to double step/"bracket"/etc those but your score will suffer.

Post #20 · Posted at 2014-08-07 08:06:17pm 9.6 years ago

Offline Wulfy013
Wulfy013 Avatar Member
128 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-08-10

No. 13 is good for practicing crossovers after you have an understanding. It uses them in an interesting way that I, personally, enjoy.
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/ddr_sig.php?userid=9416&generate=1

DDR Black 2 now available!!
NOTE: DDR Black update released!
New pack: Mortal Kombat
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 4% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-03-29 00:37:31
This page took 0.018 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language