Logo

[COMING SOON] - DDR Kirby's Super Star RAVE!

Thread Locked Back To Forums

Post #41 · Posted at 2014-06-08 10:45:55pm 9.7 years ago

Offline Oni-91
Oni-91 Avatar Moderator+
13,488 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2006-10-20

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-3445-5569-17913DS Friend Code: 008736577880
"Ambivalent Viennetta"
Something tells me that you only commented because it's Ryan, not necessarily because you care about the OP. Anyway, I'm stepping off the bandwagon now before someone gets run over. I suggest everyone else follows suit.
ZIv Mod Squad: "I'm a trash panda now, don't worry about it"
Can you make music? ZENIUS -I- MANIA 2023 NEEDS YOU
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvT2ARPaQAAxRVX.jpg:large

Post #42 · Posted at 2014-06-09 12:18:03am 9.7 years ago

Offline 370K
370K Avatar Banned
70 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-12-21

Game Center Nickname: K!r8¥
"Single, in a HyperNOVA..."
I never meant to start a war, I just wanted to have some fun with a cute project that I never got to finish... Cry
So can you all just at least appreciate what I'm doing and have no complaints? Why make criticisms if it's not your project? Why not just ignore the post and stop being a bitch about it? Evil
I will remember my rough past forever... And the people who have supported me...

Post #43 · Posted at 2014-06-09 02:07:01am 9.7 years ago

Offline SM MaxX
SM MaxX Avatar Member+
910 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-08-30

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1495-0040-1058
"I play too much touhou"
Quote: 370K
Why make criticisms if it's not your project? Why not just ignore the post and stop being a bitch about it? Evil

if you didn't want criticism you shouldn't have posted it in a public forum.
http://i.imgur.com/EvGgqSs.png

Post #44 · Posted at 2014-06-09 02:24:08am 9.7 years ago

Offline Lisek
Lisek Avatar Member
470 Posts
Poland
Reg. 2011-09-08

Why make criticisms if it's not your project?
That's really new approach for public projects.

Post #45 · Posted at 2014-06-09 02:35:25am 9.7 years ago

Offline G4m3pr0
G4m3pr0 Avatar Member
300 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-01-27

Quote: SM MaxX
Why make criticisms if it's not your project? Why not just ignore the post and stop being a bitch about it? Evil

if you didn't want criticism you shouldn't have posted it in a public forum.

He posted in a public forum because he wanted to show it to people. Still, I think a little constructive criticism is okay, but don't try to tell him what to do. Do you like people telling you how to practice your own hobby, or tell you the right way to play a video game? I think not. You've got to understand what he may be feeling. He may also lack the skills needed to make it look better, so you need to consider that as well.

Post #46 · Posted at 2014-06-09 02:59:07am 9.7 years ago

Offline SM MaxX
SM MaxX Avatar Member+
910 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-08-30

"I play too much touhou"
Quote: G4m3pr0
He posted in a public forum because he wanted to show it to people. Still, I think a little constructive criticism is okay, but don't try to tell him what to do.

I'm not telling him to do anything. I'm just saying that if you're gonna post projects publicly online and only expect praise you should get out of that mentality quickly.

Do you like people telling you how to practice your own hobby, or tell you the right way to play a video game?

Do you not give people advice on how to improve at their hobby, or some different strategies to try getting better results at video games?

He may also lack the skills needed to make it look better, so you need to consider that as well.

I'm not sure what to tell you; theming's not easy and you need to be skilled at it if you want to make quality stuff.

Post #47 · Posted at 2014-06-09 03:25:23am 9.7 years ago

Offline G4m3pr0
G4m3pr0 Avatar Member
300 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-01-27

Last updated: 2014-06-09 03:34am
He posted in a public forum because he wanted to show it to people. Still, I think a little constructive criticism is okay, but don't try to tell him what to do.

I'm not telling him to do anything. I'm just saying that if you're gonna post projects publicly online and only expect praise you should get out of that mentality quickly.

I'm not sure he sees it that way.

Do you like people telling you how to practice your own hobby, or tell you the right way to play a video game?

Do you not give people advice on how to improve at their hobby, or some different strategies to try getting better results at video games?

See above.

He may also lack the skills needed to make it look better, so you need to consider that as well.

I'm not sure what to tell you; theming's not easy and you need to be skilled at it if you want to make quality stuff.

It doesn't need to be of good quality. That's his prerogative.

FYI: I'm not trying to defend him or his project. I'll admit it's not good-looking, but I'm telling you that he may be doing the very best he can. He's probably an amateur, and if so, he can't be held to the same standard that more professional designers are. You don't have to like it, but that's how it is.

Post #48 · Posted at 2014-06-09 04:17:08am 9.7 years ago

Offline hooky
hooky Avatar Member
2,683 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-28

I never meant to start a war, I just wanted you to let me in

Fixed :V

Post #49 · Posted at 2014-06-09 05:34:55am 9.7 years ago

Offline bmhedgehog
bmhedgehog Avatar Banned+
3,136 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-07-13

"BANNED"
Thank You G4m3pr0.

Post #50 · Posted at 2014-06-09 11:18:33am 9.7 years ago

Offline G4m3pr0
G4m3pr0 Avatar Member
300 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-01-27

Last updated: 2014-06-09 11:18am
Quote: bmhedgehog
Thank You G4m3pr0.

Not a problem. I really wanted people to see the other side of the issue and really think about what they're saying. One thing that people don't seem to fully grasp is that 370K is probably new here and thus may be an amateur, so he can't be held to the same standards as more professional graphics designers. This could just be the gateway to better-looking projects. We'll just have to wait and see. And again, you're welcome.

Quote: Oni-91
I'm stepping off the bandwagon now before someone gets run over. I suggest everyone else follows suit.

http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Music/v4/7d/02/00/7d020096-a80b-ca15-5d25-0c4f03c449a1/coverart.QWCE-00363.170x170-75.jpg

Post #51 · Posted at 2014-06-09 11:49:08am 9.7 years ago

Offline Sigrev2
Sigrev2 Avatar Member+
4,159 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-10-17

Nintendo Network ID: Sigrev2Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2884-7660-37993DS Friend Code: 3883-7652-3160
"suffering from success"
Time for some quoting.

Why make criticisms if it's not your project?
Because, as said countless times before, you're posting this project for the whole forum to view. If you didn't want people to criticize your content, then don't make an entire thread showing off various facets of said content. That's just common sense. Making a large thread about it (that gets updated semi-constantly, might I add) means that you want people to know about your project; you want people to be interested in it, despite what certain few other people try to pass it off to be.

And unless you are 370K himself, you do not get to make this kind of call. Don't try to speak up for someone you've never so much as paid attention to before this thread started.

See above.
See above. I can play this card too.

So, you're just going to excuse shoddy workmanship just because it's not someone's "prerogative"? Sorry, but that doesn't work that way. If someone's going to publicly announce a project intended for consumer use and they're not going to be arsed to make it aesthetically pleasing for the consumer (let alone listen to the consumers' criticisms and recommendations in general), then why even fucking bother announcing anything in the first place? How about instead of enabling and encouraging this lackluster production (to try and protect him from the horrors of differing opinions, I guess), you listen to what people are saying and don't just disregard their criticism for something as weak of an excuse as "prerogative"?

FYI: I'm not trying to defend him or his project.
Except that's exactly what you've been doing. Hell, you're even trying to speak for him in defense.

I'll admit it's not good-looking, but I'm telling you that he may be doing the very best he can.
If this is the "very best" he can do, then yeah; he definitely should start listening to people's criticism, 'cause this "very best" is very mediocre and shouldn't fly in anyone's book.

He's probably an amateur, and if so, he can't be held to the same standard that more professional designers are.
Oh. You guys. He's an amateur. I guess that means that we can't give him criticism to try and help him improve his craft so he doesn't continue to be an amateur. I guess that means that we can't try to help him by suggesting better methods to work upon creating the best content, to develop his skills so people don't have to clutter up the thread with the same suggestions. He's an amateur, he doesn't need improving.

That's literally all I get when I read that part. It sounds kinda harsh, the more you think about it; excusing someone's poor work simply because "they're an amateur".

You don't have to like it, but that's how it is.
And you don't have to like people voicing their opinions, but this is a public forum and that's how it is.
Oops.

At this point, I don't care if this all comes off as rude. I'm sick of people trying to defend shoddy workmanship. This is not the best he can do, and we know that. That's why we're recommending the different programs and throwing in our two cents. We want to see this project thrive, and when people like you come along and enable the ugly old behavior, it's detrimental to the OP's progress.

*drops the mic, walks off stage*

Post #52 · Posted at 2014-06-09 12:39:02pm 9.7 years ago

Offline RGTM
RGTM Avatar Moderator+
7,191 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-19

Nintendo Network ID: xRGTMxNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-6034-2315-7724Game Center Nickname: xRGTMx
"BBCode Not Allowed"

Last updated: 2014-06-09 12:42pm
Also, another thing to mention.

370K, we don't hate you. We're only trying to help, so learn to accept critiques from others. Like everyone said, this IS a public forum, might as well get used to it.

Wolf, I applaud you. *clap clap* Very well said.
ZIv Mod Squad: "shark jumpscare"
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/248198333200465920/1024369508640632952/EC2E821F-8C1F-4894-9E77-59CB48D2FD35.gif

Post #53 · Posted at 2014-06-09 01:25:43pm 9.7 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."

Last updated: 2014-06-09 01:31pm

So can you all just at least appreciate what I'm doing and have no complaints?

I appreciate the fact you're doing something...but I completely dislike the fact that you're wasting your time when you know you can do better and are choosing not to improve. We're trying to get you to do better, not pat you in the back to continue doing bad things.

All things said... stop using MS Paint. Google "GIMP" or "Photoshop". They aren't as scary as you think. They're really fast to learn. If you can't get it, then google "GIMP/Photoshop tutorial".

Although I have used Photoshop to take care of some graphics in the game, such as these ripped graphics: Puppy Face

You have access to Photoshop and choose MS Paint...

Post #54 · Posted at 2014-06-09 11:46:57pm 9.7 years ago

Offline G4m3pr0
G4m3pr0 Avatar Member
300 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-01-27

Setting the record straight.

Quote: AnonyWolf
And unless you are 370K himself, you do not get to make this kind of call. Don't try to speak up for someone you've never so much as paid attention to before this thread started.

And unless you are me, you do not get to make this kind of call. Don't try to tell someone else what they can and can't do.

See above.
See above. I can play this card too.

Ditto. What, do you think this a free ride for the critics? Of course there are going to be supporters as well.

So, you're just going to excuse shoddy workmanship just because it's not someone's "prerogative"? Sorry, but that doesn't work that way. If someone's going to publicly announce a project intended for consumer use and they're not going to be arsed to make it aesthetically pleasing for the consumer (let alone listen to the consumers' criticisms and recommendations in general), then why even fucking bother announcing anything in the first place? How about instead of enabling and encouraging this lackluster production (to try and protect him from the horrors of differing opinions, I guess), you listen to what people are saying and don't just disregard their criticism for something as weak of an excuse as "prerogative"?

This guy is new. He's creating a minimalist project, and naturally he's being subject to criticism. Of course you can offer suggestions on ways to improve, but at the same time, let him get situated.

FYI: I'm not trying to defend him or his project.
Except that's exactly what you've been doing. Hell, you're even trying to speak for him in defense.

Okay, I'll give you that one. But I have something else to say that I'll address below.

I'll admit it's not good-looking, but I'm telling you that he may be doing the very best he can.
If this is the "very best" he can do, then yeah; he definitely should start listening to people's criticism, 'cause this "very best" is very mediocre and shouldn't fly in anyone's book.

As I said, this is his very first project. There will come a time when he does listen. He might eventually do it with this very project.

He's probably an amateur, and if so, he can't be held to the same standard that more professional designers are.
Oh. You guys. He's an amateur. I guess that means that we can't give him criticism to try and help him improve his craft so he doesn't continue to be an amateur. I guess that means that we can't try to help him by suggesting better methods to work upon creating the best content, to develop his skills so people don't have to clutter up the thread with the same suggestions. He's an amateur, he doesn't need improving.

That's literally all I get when I read that part. It sounds kinda harsh, the more you think about it; excusing someone's poor work simply because "they're an amateur".

Of course you can do that stuff. But I'm not sure about the validity of that second paragraph. My analogy of that sentence is that you'd expect a video game programmed by an amateur to live up to the quality you'd expect of major developers. It doesn't work that way.

You don't have to like it, but that's how it is.
And you don't have to like people voicing their opinions, but this is a public forum and that's how it is.
Oops.

I actually encourage that, but I also encourage taking other peoples' perspectives into view.

At this point, I don't care if this all comes off as rude. I'm sick of people trying to defend shoddy workmanship. This is not the best he can do, and we know that. That's why we're recommending the different programs and throwing in our two cents. We want to see this project thrive, and when people like you come along and enable the ugly old behavior, it's detrimental to the OP's progress.

I don't see how me giving my 2 cents is detrimental to its progress. Besides, if you don't know him personally, how can you expect him to live up to your standards? I'll admit I myself don't know him personally, but that doesn't mean I can't describe my perception of what's going on, which is what I'm trying to do.

*drops the mic, walks off stage*

*leaves auditorium*

As Oni-91 said, we should probably jump off the bandwagon before someone gets run over.

Post #55 · Posted at 2014-06-10 03:52:42am 9.7 years ago

Offline SM MaxX
SM MaxX Avatar Member+
910 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-08-30

"I play too much touhou"
You know what I did when I posted my first simfile pack online in a public forum? I had really high hopes people would love it, I worked hard on it and expected everything to be fine. Turns out, I had many ideas that were flat out bad and I got a lot of criticism on clusterfucking the charts with too many holds/rolls and just not having good ideas to the chart.

How did I react to all the negative feedback? I didn't whine and bitch that people didn't like it, I didn't go "OH IT'S MY FIRST TIME YOU HAVE TO EXCUSE ME!!", I didn't complain that "WELL I'M OBVIOUSLY NOT AS GOOD AS OTHER PEOPLE AT THIS!!"; I listened to what everyone had to said and at least TRIED to do the suggestions everyone gave me (even if I was against the ideas at first, I still tried it anyway just to see, and more often than not they were actually right and I found my charts much better as a result). Did it hurt that I didn't get the reactions I thought I would? Hell yeah it did. But I swallowed my pride and actually gave the suggestions a chance and my second pack honestly turned out a 100x better in quality than my first pack did as a result of listening.

I'm quite tired of internet white knights trying to defend newcomers and calling us "too scary or harsh with them"; welcome to the internet, where it's never all sunshine and rainbows with people. You are encouraging them to only listen to praise and never listening to criticism, which more likely than not is gonna lead to barely any improvement. I don't care that this is his first time, the average quality I see of themes is still much higher than this and I'm gonna use the average expectation when comparing it to this, and you need to be aware of that too if you're gonna start theming (I'm certainly not expecting quality of people like freem or mad matt or whatever right off the bat). If you really don't want to hear criticism, don't fucking post on a public forum where anyone can post criticism. Everyone has a hard time at first with something hobbyish, having little experience and not knowing the finer details and stuff, but the people I see succeed are the people who go in right away and remain open to feedback they are given.

(thoughts might be jumbled here but whatever)

Post #56 · Posted at 2014-06-10 04:37:50am 9.7 years ago

Offline G4m3pr0
G4m3pr0 Avatar Member
300 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-01-27

http://media.giphy.com/media/gIIjTh2hk42Fa/giphy.gif

Seriously, this argument is pointless. We need to move on. I don't want to be the one who causes this to degenerate into a pissing match, and I think everyone else should follow Oni's advice as well.

[/argument]

Post #57 · Posted at 2014-06-10 12:38:05pm 9.7 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
It sounds like you want to have the last word in on the thread. You could have easily not posted a long time ago for this to end. It also seems that you miss the point of why people are posting on the thread- to help. You aren't. Lay off the gifs too.

I also encourage taking other peoples' perspectives into view.
Follow your own advice.

Post #58 · Posted at 2014-06-10 03:21:07pm 9.7 years ago

Offline RGTM
RGTM Avatar Moderator+
7,191 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-19

Nintendo Network ID: xRGTMxNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-6034-2315-7724Game Center Nickname: xRGTMx
"BBCode Not Allowed"
Alright, I'll try to be the better man and say that I think this is enough bickering for now. We have all made some very valid points and arguments, including recommendations for how to improve this project, but at this point, I believe best that we all should let 370K do what he wants to do, despite blocking out our suggestions. If for some reason, another novel-long discussion/argument arises in this thread, I might need to lock it, because it's not really necessary anymore.

Good luck with this project, 370K, keep up with what you have been doing, and I hope to see some nice progress.
ZIv Mod Squad: "shark jumpscare"
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/248198333200465920/1024369508640632952/EC2E821F-8C1F-4894-9E77-59CB48D2FD35.gif

Post #59 · Posted at 2014-06-10 04:25:40pm 9.7 years ago

Offline bmhedgehog
bmhedgehog Avatar Banned+
3,136 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-07-13

"BANNED"
All I want to say is Thank You xRGTMx. And that is enough.

Post #60 · Posted at 2014-06-10 06:46:24pm 9.7 years ago

Offline 370K
370K Avatar Banned
70 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-12-21

Game Center Nickname: K!r8¥
"Single, in a HyperNOVA..."
Finally the fight has ended! Big Grin

Fiasco (KSSR!):
5/22/14 - 6/10/14

FINALLY BACK ON TOPIC...

011101010101010101011111000110101011110001010101010110101010101010100111111011010101010101010101010101

UPDATES:

New courses have been added!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bpyhc7mIcAAEyJp.png:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bpyhc7lIEAIORj6.png:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bpyhc7lIEAEd1b6.png:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpyhKkiCMAE8gZ0.png:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpyhKlCCEAALj8W.png:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpyhKlACUAA4VNS.png:large

New songs have been added!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bpyhc78IUAEbtOH.png:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpyhKlqCMAI6eru.png:large

Stay tuned for updates! Wink <3
I will remember my rough past forever... And the people who have supported me...
Thread Locked Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 3% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-03-19 09:24:35
This page took 0.018 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language