Logo

Crypt of the NecroDancer (International)

Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2014-04-15 10:14:18pm 9.9 years ago

Offline redshoepaul
redshoepaul Avatar Member
94 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-09-12

Nintendo Network ID: redshoepaul

Last updated: 2016-05-01 06:09pm
http://necrodancer.com/presskit/crypt_of_the_necrodancer/images/header.png

Crypt of the NecroDancer is a hardcore rhythm-based roguelike game. Can you survive this deadly dungeon of dance, slay the NecroDancer, and recapture your still beating heart? Or will you be a slave to the rhythm for all eternity? Players must move on the beat to navigate procedurally generated dungeons while battling dancing skeletons, zombies, dragons, and more! Groove with the game's epic dance soundtrack, or select songs from your own MP3 collection! You can even play with a DDR dance pad to really shake your bones!

History

Crypt of the NecroDancer was born of the desire to make a roguelike game "fair". As a roguelike gamers, we have seen our share of deaths! But the most frustrating deaths are those from which we learn nothing, or had no chance to avoid. Some roguelikes, like Nethack, boast fairly high win rates for elite players. This is good -- it indicates that, while there is randomness, there are ways to tame that randomness and overcome it. However, to become such an elite Nethack player requires dedicated study of it's lore, an excellent memory, and patience. We wanted to create a game that is fair (a high win rate among elite players), yet without the onerous knowledge requirements. Crypt of the NecroDancer is our attempt at achieving this goal. It is turn based, but the turns are of an enforced length. Lack of time to think renders impossible the careful study and patience of the expert NetHack player. Instead, skill and experience in battle rule the day. No more random deaths -- there is always a way out, for the skilled NecroDancer player!

Features

-Roguelike rhythm game -- the player and enemies all move on the beat!
-A beat detection algorithm allows players to use their own MP3s and music files
-Move with the keyboard, gamepad, or even a DDR pad if you have one!

Platforms:
PC / Mac / Linux / Steam

Price: USD $14.99

Site: http://necrodancer.com/
We at bemanistyle'n shit.

Post #2 · Posted at 2014-04-15 10:42:02pm 9.9 years ago

Offline Tyma
Tyma Avatar Member
2,309 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-05-31

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1148-0077

Last updated: 2014-04-15 10:42pm
I'm so intrigued about the DDR pad functionality. Has there been any suggestion of what kind of physical challenge it's going to present, compared to actually playing a dancing game?

The actions in the trailer seem to happen in really fast succession, but it seems like lots of them will be the same arrow press multiple times in a row, which of course, isn't very challenging or fun. I wonder if they've taken that into account, when it comes to map generation?

Post #3 · Posted at 2014-04-15 11:03:06pm 9.9 years ago

Offline redshoepaul
redshoepaul Avatar Member
94 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-09-12

Nintendo Network ID: redshoepaul
Playing it at PAX, the DDR pad setup and PC/keyboard was set up and it didn't make a difference other than you're actually moving when you use the pad. I think the point these guys were going for is that using a pad would be fun to program in, so they did it for fun. Who knows, I'll have an interview soon with them!
We at bemanistyle'n shit.

Post #4 · Posted at 2014-04-16 11:59:09pm 9.9 years ago

Offline Futabot
Futabot Avatar Member
18 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2011-10-06

Quote: Tyma
I'm so intrigued about the DDR pad functionality. Has there been any suggestion of what kind of physical challenge it's going to present, compared to actually playing a dancing game?

The actions in the trailer seem to happen in really fast succession, but it seems like lots of them will be the same arrow press multiple times in a row, which of course, isn't very challenging or fun. I wonder if they've taken that into account, when it comes to map generation?

I'm on the alpha team and the game is definitely challenging. It is much more of a thinking game than a rhythm game though because it is essentially set to a true random shuffle and sudden. I think its greatest strength is that this is the first rhythm game I've played that is enjoyable without absolutely precise tracking, which has always been a downfall of other custom-music games. (Rhythm Zone, lol.)

Honestly, I don't think monotony is a problem right now, or at least not a problem that can't be fixed with adjusting mob density, but I'm always looking for ideas to make this game more pad friendly.

Post #5 · Posted at 2014-07-18 03:30:13pm 9.6 years ago

Offline King_Mew
King_Mew Avatar Member
269 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-06-27

Nintendo Network ID: mewy573
"Fast 'n Bulbous!"
The game will be available on Steam Early Access on July 30th.
Launch trailer:

I'm HYPE.
http://mew151.net/creative/coke_a.png Rippin' bro, you cleared it!

Post #6 · Posted at 2014-07-18 09:47:04pm 9.6 years ago

Offline hellrazor
hellrazor Avatar Member+
586 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-10-27

Quote: King_Mew
The game will be available on Steam Early Access on July 30th.
Launch trailer:

I'm HYPE.
My son and I are hooked, we only play on dance pads because it's so much fun. Can't wait for Zone 4 to finish or for the game to launch, and I'll probably get into playing Hardcore mode now that I'm comfortable around most of the enemies.

Post #7 · Posted at 2014-08-16 02:38:53am 9.5 years ago

Offline DevinUp
DevinUp Avatar Member
56 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-04-03

Looks interesting. It's on my wishlist waiting for a sale.

Post #8 · Posted at 2014-08-16 07:40:33am 9.5 years ago

Offline Loodee
Loodee Avatar Member+
275 Posts
Sweden
Reg. 2014-06-26

This game is a lot of fun, recommended. The custom music thing can get a bit messed up if you have a song with a weird rhythm (timing becoming off beat) but for most songs, it works fine. The original soundtrack is really, really good as well, so it's not too big of an issue.
https://i.imgur.com/0PfGokW.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/d4gHmul.png

Post #9 · Posted at 2014-09-28 04:46:14am 9.4 years ago

Offline DevinUp
DevinUp Avatar Member
56 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-04-03

The game is 33% off on Steam for the next day or two. I got it today and so far it's been a lot of fun.

Post #10 · Posted at 2016-05-01 06:06:40pm 7.8 years ago

Offline al2k4
al2k4 Avatar Admin
9,387 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2006-05-01

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-6451-2397-9509
"BEMANI Sound Team"

Post #11 · Posted at 2016-05-01 11:45:53pm 7.8 years ago

Offline Lokamp
Lokamp Avatar Member
214 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2013-12-30

^ It's all fine and dandy, but if this doesn't concern the recent Groove Coaster collaboration's content, you're not talking with me...
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 3% · Database: 8% · Server Time: 2024-03-19 04:46:21
This page took 0.011 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language