Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2013-11-25 09:35:04am 10.3 years ago

Offline superkidmax
superkidmax Avatar Member
4 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-11-25

Hi! I'm new here.
I recently got into pop'n music. I've been playing the portable games for PSP and it was really fun, but I want to be able to play on an actual controller. The thing is, they're crazy expansive, and I can't afford to buy one! So, making one would obviously be the cheapest way to go. I have no problems getting the materials and building one, but the buttons are what's getting to me. I scoured Google, and the cheapest buttons I could find are here, and one set of 9 plus shipping comes out to about $82, which is still way expensive. In an instructables tutorial I read, some guy said he got a set for about $25. Does anyone know where I can get pop'n ASC buttons that I can actually afford? Or even better, does anyone have a set of buttons (or even a whole ASC) that they are willing to sell?

Post #2 · Posted at 2013-11-25 12:26:48pm 10.3 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,470 Posts
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

Nintendo Network ID: KKiONI3DS Friend Code: 2320-6631-1671
"BEEJAY REVEL A"
I'm not a Pop'n player myself, but you want to be careful when assembling parts for a controller regardless. Cheap isn't always the optimal way to go as you'll likely end up getting what you paid for. It sounds obvious, but for rhythm game controllers, it is something that should be especially noted.

Alternatively, you can settle for something like this for the moment and save up for an ASC in the meantime. That way you can get something with good quality at the end, but not be totally left in the dark till then.

Post #3 · Posted at 2013-11-25 12:59:18pm 10.3 years ago

Offline superkidmax
4 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-11-25

That's true, and I get your point, but honestly I never really wanted a minicon. I was kind of looking towards building a controller as an experience itself, and then eventually making another ASC with better quality parts or buying one from DJDao or DesktopArcade. Or if someone sold me their ASC cheap, I could skip the creation process altogether. It's kind of like a car - usually someone's first car isn't top-of-the-line, and later on, when they get older and better at driving, they get a better, more expensive car. Anyway, I know I sound a little ignorant, but thank you for taking your time and doing that. I appreciate your advice.

Post #4 · Posted at 2013-11-25 03:51:22pm 10.3 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,470 Posts
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

"BEEJAY REVEL A"
No worries, I can see what you are getting at. From what I saw in my quick searches though, I can't seem to beat that 5 dollars a button you listed there. Probably due to its size. I would expect it to be more of a specialty button since few devices use them.

Post #5 · Posted at 2013-11-25 06:15:07pm 10.3 years ago

Offline Kon
Kon Avatar Member
1,288 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-02

"OMG KON!"
if you want cheap buttons, they don't suit music gaming well at all. Most dome buttons aren't meant to be used to the extreme like Pop'n Music needs them. The real deal (sanwa) are CRAZY expensive. Like a whole set is nearly $400 before shipping (and no, that is not a exaggeration). Your best bet would be to see if you can get a Dao Pop'n controller or the buttons at the very least (they aren't official, but they are the closest you will find to the real deal that play well).

Post #6 · Posted at 2013-11-26 10:52:20am 10.3 years ago

Offline superkidmax
4 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-11-25

Would my best plan of action basically just be to wait it out and save up until I have enough for a premium ASC then?

Post #7 · Posted at 2013-11-26 12:12:04pm 10.3 years ago

Offline Kon
Kon Avatar Member
1,288 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-02

"OMG KON!"
Most likely yes. Literally for all the buttons you need and getting them to your house to build a controller will cost as much as the controller itself. I mean you technically could use 3rd party shitty dome buttons but it will not work as well or feel like a Pop'n Music machine.

Post #8 · Posted at 2013-11-26 02:35:16pm 10.3 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,470 Posts
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

"BEEJAY REVEL A"
Quote: superkidmax
Would my best plan of action basically just be to wait it out and save up until I have enough for a premium ASC then?
It probably would be. Building one with cheap parts is definitely possible and could be fun, but you'd have to worry about how the buttons would hold out after extensive usage. The cheaper buttons will likely have more frequent wearing and failure.

I sound like a broken record here, but I do think my aforementioned alternative might be a good option. It also gives you a good chance to give the game a test run before making the plunge into an arcade style experience.

Post #9 · Posted at 2013-11-27 12:11:17am 10.3 years ago

Offline superkidmax
4 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-11-25

Quote: KKiONI
I sound like a broken record here, but I do think my aforementioned alternative might be a good option. It also gives you a good chance to give the game a test run before making the plunge into an arcade style experience.

I guess it might, but I looked up videos of the mini controller in use, and it just looks like it would feel nothing like arcade - I was planning on playing with my hands, and not just my fingers. I would play IIDX for that (which I play and love) but I want a new experience and Pop'n Music with is big buttons and spacing seems just the right fit. That kind of the reason why I don't want to even bother with a minicon. Thanks anyway though.

Post #10 · Posted at 2013-12-11 03:08:00am 10.3 years ago

Offline StepModule
StepModule Avatar Member
53 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-09-16

"Mhh kay"
If your going to get some new buttons, cheap ones are hard to get with quality. If you want to make you own pop 'n music controller, you can visit instuctables and look for XxsonicxX. I haven't finished it yet and hasn't posted it either. If you can wait, it will be finished in the next few days.
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/pictures/4780-1380486960.pnghttp://zenius-i-vanisher.com/pictures/14650-1380525767.png
Why did you hover over this? Did you think it would be secret?????

Post #11 · Posted at 2014-12-08 07:12:59pm 9.3 years ago

Offline Kajika
Kajika Avatar Member+
8 Posts
United States
Reg. 2014-12-08

SparkFun has some large buttons in all of the colors one would need. They, however, are around $10 a piece, but if you're in the U.S., you can get free shipping on orders over $75. <:
https://remywiki.com/images/7/78/11_RINSEI.png
「先の見えない暗闇でも、足元を照らす僕の光」
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 6% · Database: 8% · Server Time: 2024-03-28 23:03:16
This page took 0.006 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language