Post #1 · Posted at 2013-09-22 02:27:30am 10.4 years ago

Offline Daniel_BMS
Daniel_BMS Avatar Member+
645 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-09-01

Last updated: 2014-03-18 05:38am
http://unite.vg/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/neon-marquee1.jpg

Neon FM is an electrified rhythm & action game for arcades and mobile. Players pound the five colored panels with their hands to the beat of the music and are scored on their timing.

Many difficulty choices
Each song has many levels of difficulty, allowing players of any skill to play songs that suit their taste.

Fail no more
Performing poorly doesn’t end the game–we just reduce the difficulty while you’re playing.

Save your progress
Use your Unit-e account to save scores, track your progress, and compete internationally!

Beginner mode
Is this your first music game? We reduce the number of buttons and are much less strict on timing.

New tracks every week!
Every week we release new music to the game. Check in on your favorite arcade often to see what’s new!

They are still at it after all these years. Great to see this game is finally going to make a release.

http://www.unite.vg/dt_catalog/neon-fm/

---
redshoepaul edit.
https://i.imgur.com/8ekTOeR.png

Post #2 · Posted at 2014-03-10 11:50:31am 10 years ago

Offline AxelWasHere
AxelWasHere Avatar Member
1,579 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-07-13

"No."
This. Looks. SEXY.
https://i.imgur.com/vnrpBDk.gif

Post #3 · Posted at 2014-03-10 11:56:01am 10 years ago

Offline chewi
chewi Avatar Member+
8,537 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-02-24

I honestly wasn't too impressed when I first heard about this game, but seeing it in action has made me kinda excited about it. Would play it if I had the chance for sure.
https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/simfiles/Vibe%20Vibe%20Relaxation/Vibe%20Vibe%20Relaxation.png?1677865262

Post #4 · Posted at 2014-03-10 12:31:31pm 10 years ago

Offline Daniel_BMS
645 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-09-01

Last updated: 2014-03-10 12:32pm
Whoa! redshoepaul did a great job enhancing my post. I am glad he noticed it.

I have been rooting for this game since 2005. I am still rooting for it today and I hope it can eventually once again become a dance game. I have always wanted to see a dance game with Fail no more and New tracks every week! Their low maintenance dance pads also could have saved arcades.

Post #5 · Posted at 2014-03-10 07:48:27pm 10 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: maxninja1143DS Friend Code: 392661848995Game Center Nickname: maxninja114
"Charlie isn't real"
I got a chance to play this game when they came to MAGFest, and just like the hype surrounding it, the game is breathtakingly awesome.

I really don't want to see them turn this into a dance game per se, the build would just cost them even more money than what they already are probably going to spend to build these machines, that and the size of this machine is just oerfect to fit practically anywhere. The game pretty much plays like a blend of Pop N' and Guitar Hero, with the added ability to change the color of the notes (you can have it like a Pop N' color scheme or a 'IIDX' style color scheme which I think was pretty neat and helped me out a lot when I played).

The soundtrack is killer too. Really hoping for this to land somewhere here in Tampa Smile.

Post #6 · Posted at 2014-03-10 08:10:09pm 10 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
Not a fan of the "Fail no more" feature. It would be cool if they had an option before playing a song to remove it. I don't know if that's in the game or not though.

However, I really liked this feature:
Pay per song, not per set
Jukebox-style song selection means you’ll always have enough spare change to play a song or two!

That's the best idea ever. I wish other games had that. (Rhythm games)

Post #7 · Posted at 2014-03-10 08:56:03pm 10 years ago

Offline no dice
no dice Avatar Member
107 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-10-15

"Don't get depressed!"
Quote: Aegis
Not a fan of the "Fail no more" feature. It would be cool if they had an option before playing a song to remove it. I don't know if that's in the game or not though.

I have to agree. Personally I think it would inhibit someone from getting better at something if it just makes it easier for you any time you do badly. I'd rather just be crappy at a game until I put in the work to get decent at it. It's a great feeling when you go from being a total noob at something to playing expert level stuff.

Post #8 · Posted at 2014-03-10 09:58:02pm 10 years ago

Offline redshoepaul
redshoepaul Avatar Member
94 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-09-12

Nintendo Network ID: redshoepaul
Quote: Daniel_BMS
Whoa! redshoepaul did a great job enhancing my post. I am glad he noticed it.

Had to make the edit, so incase you look back saying "what the hell happened" hah. I plan to stick close with covering this game as I know a few people on the development team, and supporting that is what I love most. I'll be updating it a bit as time goes on and with more information comes out.
We at bemanistyle'n shit.

Post #9 · Posted at 2014-03-11 01:04:44am 10 years ago

Offline polarbearjosh
polarbearjosh Avatar Member
570 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-06-30

Last updated: 2014-03-11 01:09am
Quote: Max
The game pretty much plays like a blend of Pop N' and Guitar Hero.

There also seems to be a bit of a beat gather vibe as well as some Sound Voltex there too.
Polar Bears and BEMANI Forever!!!!Laughing Out Loud

Post #10 · Posted at 2014-03-11 02:12:14am 10 years ago

Offline Lord Toon
Lord Toon Avatar Member
1,613 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-11-14

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2326-5874-6891Origin: LordToon_LTI
"lordtoon.com"
I want to try this out...IDK but does the interface look too cheap?//

Post #11 · Posted at 2014-03-11 02:23:09am 10 years ago

Offline Arrows&Beats
Arrows&Beats Avatar Banned
2,594 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-08-13

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0428-9949Game Center Nickname: Padoo
"Witch hunt victim."
I'm very excited for the mobile version, but a bit curious on how pricing is going to work as opposed to the arcade version.
https://i.imgur.com/KQGQUXJ.png
Banned from Z-I-v unjustly – Read my statement

Post #12 · Posted at 2014-03-11 12:37:23pm 10 years ago

Offline Daniel_BMS
645 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-09-01

I really don't want to see them turn this into a dance game per se, the build would just cost them even more money than what they already are probably going to spend to build these machines, that and the size of this machine is just oerfect to fit practically anywhere. .

I don't want this game to be part of a fad. I want Neon FM to actually contribute to people's lives and health. Hopefully the Pop 'n style version will help fund a Pump It Up style version.

Post #13 · Posted at 2014-03-11 01:27:49pm 10 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: maxninja1143DS Friend Code: 392661848995Game Center Nickname: maxninja114
"Charlie isn't real"
Quote: Daniel_BMS
I don't want this game to be part of a fad.

So rather than have it be a unique arcade rhythm gaming experience in America you want it to fall under a niche group of dance games that is probably going to be overlooked at as being yet another 'DDR' clone? Riiiiiight.

I know you want more 'dance style' games to be made, but to be quite honest if it isn't anything with motion sensing, it isn't going to win the world over in today's world. DDR, ITG, PIU, and any other dance-input system has fallen down to a level of being but a small following, numbers may say otherwise, but compared to a large scale of what gamers play, it's minuscule compared to other genres. Health and fitness is already being taken cared of, if not for the countless 'Just Dance' clones that are out there on multiple consoles (and even mobile devices now).

As far as I know, there really isn't a clone for a Pop N' style game out there that I know of, I don't know about the history of the game, but if they WERE planning on putting this out as a dance game originally but scrapped the idea to make it into this, I have a feeling they probably looked at the genre and saw the decline for those games, I could be wrong but in this direction, they seem to be getting A LOT of positive feedback.

Regarding the 'no fail' mechanic the game implements, I've drunk a lot of DJ Hero juice to sort of understand the idea behind this mechanic. Maybe. See, most of the general public who try out rhythm games get discouraged not just because of the difficulty of the song they chose (or rather just the song itself), but also because they fail too easily because they don't understand the concept of the game or rather they do, but certain circumstances can limit their ability and/or decrease their chances to pass the song. Having the no fail mechanic makes the game more inviting and it gives the player a chance to improve on the song as time goes on, even in the hardest difficulties (which believe me, they are HARD as balls), it feels like your money's worth rather than you having to pay X amount of coins/points only to fail on your first song and to try again by inserting another set of coins and retrying. There are probably bad sides to having this feature in the game, but I can't think of any that can really be something that can hurt the lifetime and presence of the game, it invites not just hardcore rhythm game fans to play and conquer, but also your most basic or new-time arcade player to try it out.

Post #14 · Posted at 2014-03-11 02:53:50pm 10 years ago

Offline Daniel_BMS
645 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-09-01

Any form of Neon FM is going to be niche, and possibly overlooked as a clone of something. If they want to make this current Pop 'n style game and eventually create the original Neon FM I will consider it progressive. The market is already flooded with Guitar Hero inspired games so I figure they are creating a button smash game because it is less expensive to build the entire set up. Not because it will stand out better. At this point though we need the team's input about what they think is the marketability of dance games versus smaller musical games, if they are even considering the original Neon FM, and the fate of their motion sensing dance pads.

You are spot on about the Fail no more mechanic.

Post #15 · Posted at 2014-03-11 04:36:24pm 10 years ago

Offline BemaniHyper
BemaniHyper Avatar Member+
1,434 Posts
United States
Reg. 2013-09-13

Found old footage from when it WAS still a dance game, btw. Just stumbled across it when googling "neon fm".

Post #16 · Posted at 2014-03-11 08:25:43pm 10 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."

Last updated: 2014-03-11 08:26pm

Regarding the 'no fail' mechanic the game implements, I've drunk a lot of DJ Hero juice to sort of understand the idea behind this mechanic. Maybe. See, most of the general public who try out rhythm games get discouraged not just because of the difficulty of the song they chose (or rather just the song itself), but also because they fail too easily because they don't understand the concept of the game or rather they do, but certain circumstances can limit their ability and/or decrease their chances to pass the song. Having the no fail mechanic makes the game more inviting and it gives the player a chance to improve on the song as time goes on, even in the hardest difficulties (which believe me, they are HARD as balls), it feels like your money's worth rather than you having to pay X amount of coins/points only to fail on your first song and to try again by inserting another set of coins and retrying. There are probably bad sides to having this feature in the game, but I can't think of any that can really be something that can hurt the lifetime and presence of the game, it invites not just hardcore rhythm game fans to play and conquer, but also your most basic or new-time arcade player to try it out.

Play something easier.
Someone new to a game doesn't just hit Expert. You have a mind to pick any song you wish, but you choose the easier difficulty so you don't fail off the bat. People who do other-wise get what is coming to them. They see it coming.

It doesn't provide any sense of satisfaction, just pity, to be honest. If you want to feel that accomplishment, try iidx. Imagine that game with this awful mechanic. Worst game ever. You'll never improve, just always cut it enough so you can play and get a higher score by skipping a part of a song that would be difficult.

What does this provide someone who wants to get better, or a hardcore player to want to get a high score? A chart should remain consistent.

Post #17 · Posted at 2014-03-16 03:37:47pm 10 years ago

Offline ggsnipes
ggsnipes Avatar Member
158 Posts
Australia
Reg. 2014-01-02

Game Center Nickname: ggsnipes
Well this game looks cool, hopefully my local arcade grabs a cabinet, all the music games here are very minuscule

Post #18 · Posted at 2014-05-04 06:55:59am 9.8 years ago

Offline _Junky
_Junky Avatar Member
3 Posts
France
Reg. 2006-08-23

Last updated: 2014-05-04 06:56am
Quote: Aegis

Play something easier.
Someone new to a game doesn't just hit Expert. You have a mind to pick any song you wish, but you choose the easier difficulty so you don't fail off the bat. People who do other-wise get what is coming to them. They see it coming.

It doesn't provide any sense of satisfaction, just pity, to be honest. If you want to feel that accomplishment, try iidx. Imagine that game with this awful mechanic. Worst game ever. You'll never improve, just always cut it enough so you can play and get a higher score by skipping a part of a song that would be difficult.

What does this provide someone who wants to get better, or a hardcore player to want to get a high score? A chart should remain consistent.

You'd be surprised : I often see people trying DDR for the first time who don't understand the menus and start a song in Difficult/Expert before I've had time to say anything. I myself lost a few credits on pump it up because I picked Nightmare by mistake. There's also people who are really clueless on their first game and lose a credit even on easy songs, so why not make it EVEN easier if the person playing is obviously struggling.
Now I've not seen Neon FM but I'd imagine that as soon as the game auto adjust the difficulty you stop getting points and your score is invalidated or something, and that it will only auto adjust when you'd have lost in another game.

Question for me is : is it keysounded ? Apart from DDR style games, it always feels weird to me when they're not key sounded (like guitar hero).

Post #19 · Posted at 2014-05-04 07:25:10am 9.8 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

"Charlie isn't real"
If by keysound you mean you can hear the button being pressed, then no, it is not.

The controller is made up of a sort of squishy/play-doh material, hitting it is like hitting a soft drum. Personally, it isn't that bad, seeing that the higher the difficulty, the more buttons you have to press/slap, as well as the buttons are probably built that way to avoid any wear and tear from traditional key buttons, plus it is amazingly fun to just hit.

Post #20 · Posted at 2014-05-04 12:51:54pm 9.8 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
I think he means like in iidx where if you miss a note the soundbyte for the note you missed doesn't play. ;)
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 5% · Database: 8% · Server Time: 2024-03-19 07:40:14
This page took 0.039 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language