Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2013-06-02 07:26:54am 10.8 years ago

Offline Teh Zombie
Teh Zombie Avatar Member
8 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2013-06-02

Hey everyone!~

I'm new here on ziv but have been playing Dance Games regularly for a couple years now. This is also going to be my first attempt at working on themes, so I'm eager for some feedback on my work.

As of late, there's been a lot of push to use SM5 on our local DDR Club computer. However, we have all been having a hard time agreeing on a theme that would suit everyone's needs. There are some of us who really like the song wheel layout of the ITG themes, but others are partial to the use of jackets and cover flow.

So last night I tried to come up with a song wheel layout that could sort of mesh these two ideas into one.

My mock-up is a pretty rough idea and no where near a final version. There are still a few things to figure out (such as where/how step data would appear and if it would appear when holding down the red button, etc.), but I believe that there's some ideas here that could turn into something good.

Essentially, you would navigate through the folders on the far left and select the one you would like to browse with green. The large white section would fill with the first song in the pack and the rest would filter down into the song list below. You could then navigate through the song list, the large jacket in the upper right hand corner updating to show the jacket of your selected song. The red button would then take you back to the folder list.

I'm open to pretty much anything, at this point. Do you guys have any suggestions? Are there things you like and don't like?

Please let me know. :]

http://i.imgur.com/sNXbwEWl.jpg
http://www.personal.psu.edu/cms6065/HereYouGoDan/pulpddr2.gif

Post #2 · Posted at 2013-06-02 08:22:17am 10.8 years ago

Offline Tyma
Tyma Avatar Member
2,309 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-05-31

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1148-0077
It looks amazing. I love how that wheel includes both the jackets and song titles at all times, which is something DDR has never really done. Since X2, I've gotten into the habbit of recognising songs from their jackets, so it's probably the best of both worlds for everyone.

I'm not following what you mean by "green buttons" or "red buttons", but since a DDR machine only has 2 buttons to navigate and one to make a selection, the interface usually has to include a method of moving between "folder selection" and "song selection" within the interface itself. I'm not sure how you'd find an elegant solution to that, without having to map more buttons than a DDR machine actually has?

For edit data, you could add it off-screen as an additional difficulty? When a player moves the cursor down past "expert", the 5 list scrolls down into a list of edit data ?

Post #3 · Posted at 2013-06-02 09:30:48am 10.8 years ago

Offline Teh Zombie
Teh Zombie Avatar Member
8 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2013-06-02

Thanks so much! I was trying to make sort of a "best of both worlds" theme so I'm glad that I at least go that much down. :]

Quote: Tyma
I'm not following what you mean by "green buttons" or "red buttons", but since a DDR machine only has 2 buttons to navigate and one to make a selection, the interface usually has to include a method of moving between "folder selection" and "song selection" within the interface itself. I'm not sure how you'd find an elegant solution to that, without having to map more buttons than a DDR machine actually has?

Ahhh sorry about that. I'm not as well versed in all of the different set-ups that work with SM5. For my purposes, I was specifically talking about ITG Dedicabs. Sorry for being unclear. Having taken a moment to look at the DDR cabinets, I realize that navigation might be difficult without a fourth button. Perhaps holding down both arrows and pressing the green button could toggle the user between the folder list and the song list.

For edit data, you could add it off-screen as an additional difficulty? When a player moves the cursor down past "expert", the 5 list scrolls down into a list of edit data ?

Oh right. That's something that I hadn't thought of at all. Thank you. I would assume that it would just automatically add the edits to the bottom of the list and it would automatically scroll as you moved down the difficulty list. I guess I need to add an arrow or something at the bottom of the difficulty list to indicate that there could be more below.

Post #4 · Posted at 2013-06-02 09:56:41am 10.8 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: maxninja1143DS Friend Code: 392661848995Game Center Nickname: maxninja114
"Charlie isn't real"
Someone get this girl a job at theming, this looks absolutely incredible! Love the concept you made up for selecting series folder and utilizing both song name and CD jacket, I would want to suggest if possible when selecting a series folder having the theme for that series (ex. When selecting the X3 folder you get the X3 theme, selecting the MAX2 folder gets you the MAX2 theme, etc.), but that may be a bit more hard work on your end (or whoever it is that is creating the theme), but overall this looks really good, I am impressed Smile

Post #5 · Posted at 2013-06-02 10:11:48am 10.8 years ago

Offline Teh Zombie
Teh Zombie Avatar Member
8 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2013-06-02

Quote: Max
Someone get this girl a job at theming, this looks absolutely incredible! Love the concept you made up for selecting series folder and utilizing both song name and CD jacket, I would want to suggest if possible when selecting a series folder having the theme for that series (ex. When selecting the X3 folder you get the X3 theme, selecting the MAX2 folder gets you the MAX2 theme, etc.), but that may be a bit more hard work on your end (or whoever it is that is creating the theme), but overall this looks really good, I am impressed Smile

n__n Thanks so much!

Your idea sounds like a really neat way to throwback to old DDR themes, but I wonder if it would become too hectic when scrolling quickly through folders. Or did you mean that it would only change when you have actively selected a folder and have started to browse it? That might not be as distracting, actually.

It'd still be a lot of work, but I wonder if maybe the color of the theme could change based on what folder you have entered. When browsing the X3 folder, the colors of the background could change to orange and blue, etc.

Post #6 · Posted at 2013-06-02 11:36:18am 10.8 years ago

Offline dbk2
dbk2 Avatar Member
332 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2012-04-30

Last updated: 2013-06-02 11:39am
Oh hey there, Teh Zombie. Fancy seeing you on Z-i-V! Big Grin

I like your design, but you already know that because I told you in person. I'm reminded a bit of this proof-of-concept/sort-of-working theme I made using Trotmania Chrystalize as the foundation:

http://i.imgur.com/31m4aDAl.jpg

It was designed to function with DDR X cabinets, with up/down buttons used to scroll through packs and right/left buttons used to scroll through songs in the selected pack.

I think this thread, where people start to contribute new and unique ideas to theming, is a great idea! Some of my other proof-of-concept ideas include:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNRDvTUWeVA
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSEVEkqR2lI

...though those were two small ideas, rather than a larger overhaul like you're proposing.

I think everyone should be welcome to post feedback and unique ideas/mockups here. What do you think, Teh Zombie?

Post #7 · Posted at 2013-06-02 11:41:36am 10.8 years ago

Offline Teh Zombie
Teh Zombie Avatar Member
8 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2013-06-02

Quote: dbk2
I think everyone should be welcome to post feedback and unique ideas/mockups here. What do you think, Teh Zombie?

My thoughts exactly. :] I think with the contributions of others, we can all work together to come up with something new and interesting.

Post #8 · Posted at 2013-06-02 09:19:01pm 10.8 years ago

Offline Tyma
Tyma Avatar Member
2,309 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-05-31

Last updated: 2013-06-02 09:20pm
Quote: Teh Zombie
I guess I need to add an arrow or something at the bottom of the difficulty list to indicate that there could be more below.

The theme is really elegant, and I think that's why people seem to have fallen in love with it at first glance. I personally don't think you should add any sort of indicator, because the moment you add anything new, you're sort of compromising the simplicity of it.

The reason I suggested hiding all mentions of edit data until you scroll down past the hardest difficulty is that very few people are interested in playing a 6th difficulty of the song, and so the location of the edit data on the screen doesn't matter to them - they don't need to know whether it's there or not. The only reason anyone would consider playing a piece of edit data is if they intended to play it from the get-go. Maybe it's a chart they made themselves, or a chart they they'd heard they'd like. Either way, they know the edit data is there, and are going to make a bee-line for it. They might not know whether your machine has the particular piece of edit data they want, but they'll be savy enough to know whether to look, and scroll down the song difficulties to check.

Your idea sounds like a really neat way to throwback to old DDR themes, but I wonder if it would become too hectic when scrolling quickly through folders. Or did you mean that it would only change when you have actively selected a folder and have started to browse it? That might not be as distracting, actually.

Perhaps create many identical copies of the Song Select background graphic, and tint them all different colour schemes, which match the colour scheme of the game currently selected? It might be a bit of work to figure out which areas to tint, but there are some very friendly and talented people around who I'm sure will come forward to help fix anything that doesn't quite come out right.

My thoughts exactly. :] I think with the contributions of others, we can all work together to come up with something new and interesting.

I can chip-in square (jacket) banners for every song in the DDR series. I don't know how you want to handle graphics for ITG / Homemade simfiles that only have rectangular graphics?

Post #9 · Posted at 2013-06-02 11:45:27pm 10.8 years ago

Offline KcLKcL
KcLKcL Avatar Member
388 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2008-08-12

Game Center Nickname: KincLongKcL
What about "emulating" that red button on a DDR cab by pressing LEFT + SELECT at the same time?
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/ddrsig/3232.png?t=1291530924

English is not my first language. Please don't mind my grammar errors.

Post #10 · Posted at 2013-06-03 01:05:11am 10.8 years ago

Offline Teh Zombie
Teh Zombie Avatar Member
8 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2013-06-02

Last updated: 2013-06-03 01:05am
The theme is really elegant, and I think that's why people seem to have fallen in love with it at first glance. I personally don't think you should add any sort of indicator, because the moment you add anything new, you're sort of compromising the simplicity of it.

The reason I suggested hiding all mentions of edit data until you scroll down past the hardest difficulty is that very few people are interested in playing a 6th difficulty of the song, and so the location of the edit data on the screen doesn't matter to them - they don't need to know whether it's there or not. The only reason anyone would consider playing a piece of edit data is if they intended to play it from the get-go. Maybe it's a chart they made themselves, or a chart they they'd heard they'd like. Either way, they know the edit data is there, and are going to make a bee-line for it. They might not know whether your machine has the particular piece of edit data they want, but they'll be savy enough to know whether to look, and scroll down the song difficulties to check.

That is true. I hadn't really thought of that. I can't imagine a casual player who doesn't even know what edit charts are needing to know that they're there. Keeping out any implication could allow for the theme to be simpler for new players.

Songs with less difficulties and edit charts could simply put the edits in place of the rest of the list (Like, if a song has only a hard, expert, and an edit, the hard could slide up to the top of the list and that would leave room for the edit to be displayed without scrolling.)

Perhaps create many identical copies of the Song Select background graphic, and tint them all different colour schemes, which match the colour scheme of the game currently selected? It might be a bit of work to figure out which areas to tint, but there are some very friendly and talented people around who I'm sure will come forward to help fix anything that doesn't quite come out right.

That's sort of what I was thinking. Tossing a quick gradient filter over top of a background image in Photoshop is a pretty quick and easy job, for me. I'm not very well versed in the actual coding side of theming, however. I'm not sure if it would be the best solution from a programming standpoint to swap out the background image every time a new folder was entered, but it would be easy enough for me to generate the color variations of said background.

On the subject of the background, the one currently in place is an image that I swiped from google so that I could finish the mock-up quicker. If I were to actually create this as a theme, I would redesign my own background image. I imagine if everyone likes this one, I would work to retain a similar look and feel (I'm quite partial to the diagonal stripes, myself.)

I can chip-in square (jacket) banners for every song in the DDR series. I don't know how you want to handle graphics for ITG / Homemade simfiles that only have rectangular graphics?

Thanks for the offer. :] I have been wary of using jackets a bit because of the fact that ITG packs (and a lot of custom charts) don't seem to have any. I've seen the way other cover flow themes have addressed this (by placing the banner inside the center of the jacket), but I find that this just looks unclean.

Ideally, if I were to take on the project of creating a fully functional theme, I'd like every single pack to have a jacket. I know that it would be a lot of work, but I have considered trying to recreate the banners in jacket form from scratch. Perhaps, if there is enough support for the theme, I could convince people to help out with this effort.

If I have to resort to sticking rectangular banners into the square jacket holders, I'd rather scrap the idea all together. :[

Quote: KcLKcL
What about "emulating" that red button on a DDR cab by pressing LEFT + SELECT at the same time?

I'm not sure if that would work. When you hold left (or right) by itself, it would continually scroll through the folders. If you attempted to press green while doing this, chances are you probably won't get the folder that you wanted in the first place.

Holding both left and right simultaneously, however, will not scroll. So you could feasibly emulate a red button by holding left and right followed by a tap of the green button.

Post #11 · Posted at 2013-06-03 02:24:46am 10.8 years ago

Offline Tyma
Tyma Avatar Member
2,309 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2006-05-31

Last updated: 2013-06-03 02:26am

Ideally, if I were to take on the project of creating a fully functional theme, I'd like every single pack to have a jacket. I know that it would be a lot of work, but I have considered trying to recreate the banners in jacket form from scratch. Perhaps, if there is enough support for the theme, I could convince people to help out with this effort.

I think jackets over banners is very much the way forward for Stepmania right now. It's been almost 4 years since Konami switched to jackets, but it's recently that DDR X3 has become the go-to game for DDR players, so people outside of Japan are just getting used to the new DDR interface, rather than the traditional Stepmania interfaces.

All the DDR songs since 1998 have official or at least highly authentic banners in Jacket form, but relying on Simfile artists to convert their old Simfiles to Jacket format is something you obviously can't do. Most current authors are now putting out simfiles with both banners and jackets, but a lot of the best authors have long lost interest in the hobby, so you'd obviously have to work those out yourself. If the theme is primarily for your local playerbase as you mentioned, then I guess the secret is just that the more selective you are about the song packs that you include in your copy of the game, the more sure you can be that the quality will be higher than the workrate involved? The more you cram into it, the lower the overall quality is going to become, not just visually, but in terms of content.

Post #12 · Posted at 2013-06-03 07:32:01am 10.8 years ago

Offline DJ OMiY
DJ OMiY Avatar Member
1,768 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-08-22

3DS Friend Code: 184820672999
"Mage Evangelist"
Reposting this from the graphics thread BC it was created as another alternate idea of combining jackets and a "traditional" song list from a person who prefers jacket use to Teh Zombie's song list preference. I obviously took it in a IIDX direction.

Quote: DJ OMiY
OK so like a year ago tsugaru7reveng posted this sketch of an interface for a new iidx game:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/tsugaru7reveng/Image400.jpg

So i made a mockup of a potential theme design based on it.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/7d54eace2423394bdcb3f2dea9fbe993/tumblr_mkm4nhkea21rkx3h8o1_1280.png

The percentages above the profile areas as well as the stepartists at the bottom right are pop ups that appear when you hold select (in theory).

(background is crop of SD's tricoro wallpaper)

https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/simfiles/PROJECT%20CRYSTALLINE/PROJECT%20CRYSTALLINE.png?1549654414
PROJECT CRYSTALLINE is a thing!

Post #13 · Posted at 2013-06-03 08:29:56am 10.8 years ago

Offline Teh Zombie
Teh Zombie Avatar Member
8 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2013-06-02

All the DDR songs since 1998 have official or at least highly authentic banners in Jacket form, but relying on Simfile artists to convert their old Simfiles to Jacket format is something you obviously can't do. Most current authors are now putting out simfiles with both banners and jackets, but a lot of the best authors have long lost interest in the hobby, so you'd obviously have to work those out yourself. If the theme is primarily for your local playerbase as you mentioned, then I guess the secret is just that the more selective you are about the song packs that you include in your copy of the game, the more sure you can be that the quality will be higher than the workrate involved? The more you cram into it, the lower the overall quality is going to become, not just visually, but in terms of content.

I agree that getting people to go back and make Jackets is a lost cause. I suppose the creation of Jackets for older packs would fall on the shoulders of whoever needed them (in this case, myself.) Perhaps that could be a separate project on its own. I (or whoever wanted to, honestly) could perhaps recreate all of the old banners in square format to the best of my abilities and release it for free use in any theme, not just this one.

But that's probably something left for later. :]

Quote: DJ OMiY
Reposting this from the graphics thread BC it was created as another alternate idea of combining jackets and a "traditional" song list from a person who prefers jacket use to Teh Zombie's song list preference. I obviously took it in a IIDX direction.

Thanks for the contribution, OMiY. I admire how much information you were able to get into your design. While creating my own mock-up, one of the things that I made not of was that there was so much information that needed to be fit into one screen. Hence why a lot has been excluded from my design (step information, scores, etc.)

I notice that you didn't use any cover flow elements. Is that simply because the original sketch didn't didn't incorporate cover flow or because you simply prefer square to rectangular? My design is built around the idea of melding song list with jacket use. Do you think it is more important aesthetically to make use of the square banners than it is to have the covers actually flow?

Post #14 · Posted at 2013-06-03 08:44:36am 10.8 years ago

Offline DJ OMiY
DJ OMiY Avatar Member
1,768 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-08-22

3DS Friend Code: 184820672999
"Mage Evangelist"

Thanks for the contribution, OMiY. I admire how much information you were able to get into your design. While creating my own mock-up, one of the things that I made not of was that there was so much information that needed to be fit into one screen. Hence why a lot has been excluded from my design (step information, scores, etc.)

I notice that you didn't use any cover flow elements. Is that simply because the original sketch didn't didn't incorporate cover flow or because you simply prefer square to rectangular? My design is built around the idea of melding song list with jacket use. Do you think it is more important aesthetically to make use of the square banners than it is to have the covers actually flow?

To answer the cover flow question, this design was simply looking at another way of incorporating jackets, with a IIDX-inspired base provided by t7r. I am a huge fan both of jacket use and of cover flow, but I noticed that, at club meeting discussions, there seemed to be some negativity about its implementation.

I decided then to approach jacket use in an entirely new manner, ignoring cover flow, which started with the original sketch linked above. I thought that, to reconcile some of the disagreements regarding a design, I would try a completely different approach to what I originally thought about jackets, and maybe open up the playing field to some different ideas. Since I'm familiar with IIDX and its many design choices, I felt that incorporating that design attitude would be easy to work with, informative to the player, and visually appealing.

As for whether jacket use is more important than cover flow, I do think that, in principle, jackets should be implemented regardless. It is the direction of future DDR games, and is implemented in quite a few other bemani titles as well (SDVX, reflec beat, jubeat). I, personally, find cover flow very appealing and intuitive to use, but for the sake of new ideas, decided to ignore it for this mockup.
https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/simfiles/PROJECT%20CRYSTALLINE/PROJECT%20CRYSTALLINE.png?1549654414
PROJECT CRYSTALLINE is a thing!

Post #15 · Posted at 2013-06-03 03:59:19pm 10.8 years ago

Offline Silverhawke
Silverhawke Avatar Member+
4,606 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2009-01-27

3DS Friend Code: 3496-9710-9426
"highwind fluffdragon"
Quote: Max
Someone get this girl a job at theming, this looks absolutely incredible!

lol wat Max its just a mockup not a real theme

one of the things here reminds me of something i did half a year ago, despite its only on Photoshop.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40407085/GFXs/knitthemmock.png

Max, I'll be waiting for that theming job, 'mkay?
my homepage → silverhawke.xyz

Post #16 · Posted at 2013-06-03 07:18:26pm 10.8 years ago

Offline AeronPeryton
AeronPeryton Avatar Member+
4,338 Posts
Japan
Reg. 2007-03-03

"Give me a steady beat."
Mockups count as part of the theming procedure, they are as much the result of skill as the coding is. I'm pretty sure Dan doesn't think all those beautiful mockups for Starlight are nothing. ...And I would very much like to see your screen become a working thing as well.

Zombie, I like your idea a lot. A two-up sorting system takes away the pain of having to find the end of the folder you're currently in. Definitely would like to see it in action.

Post #17 · Posted at 2013-06-03 11:33:00pm 10.8 years ago

Offline Teh Zombie
Teh Zombie Avatar Member
8 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2013-06-02

Quote: Silverhawke
lol wat Max its just a mockup not a real theme

one of the things here reminds me of something i did half a year ago, despite its only on Photoshop.

Max, I'll be waiting for that theming job, 'mkay?

While I do have an appreciation for the mock-up you made, there is a bit of a difference between creating a mock-up that emulates Jubeat's style with a new song list sort, and a mock-up that creates a new sort with its own aesthetic.

Your work is very nice and it looks like you were heading in the same direction as dbk2 was as far as sorting goes. It's a very polished mock-up. However, I think the Max's excitement is not only in the sorting list idea, but the style that I provided as well.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

Quote: AeronPeryton
Mockups count as part of the theming procedure, they are as much the result of skill as the coding is. I'm pretty sure Dan doesn't think all those beautiful mockups for Starlight are nothing. ...And I would very much like to see your screen become a working thing as well.

Zombie, I like your idea a lot. A two-up sorting system takes away the pain of having to find the end of the folder you're currently in. Definitely would like to see it in action.

Thank you. I see them as very an important, if not vital, pieces of the creation process. The folder issues that you mention are part of the reason why I wanted to run with this idea of a two-up sorting system. When navigating cover flow (and sometimes in song lists), I often get turned around a bit and can't find what I'm looking for quickly.

Also, I believe that I will be attempting to work with dbk2 to attempt to get some sort of functioning version of this theme concept (at least the song wheel, anyway). I'm not sure how long it will take us or if we'll even get it done, but we have been discussing it.

Post #18 · Posted at 2013-06-04 12:31:44am 10.8 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: maxninja1143DS Friend Code: 392661848995Game Center Nickname: maxninja114
"Charlie isn't real"

Last updated: 2013-06-04 12:32am
@Silverhawke

I honestly thought that was a jubeat re-skin if the song select screen for jubeat, not for Stepmania, albeit the format looks nice.

Also I am the Oprah of Stepmania Theme jobs.

Post #19 · Posted at 2013-06-04 03:47:52am 10.8 years ago

Offline Ali Uchiha
Ali Uchiha Avatar Member
540 Posts
Mexico
Reg. 2008-08-13

"お前をオカズにした事がある"
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31374809/ZeldaTHEMEMOCKUPS/ScreenSelectMusic%20mockup.png
I'm waiting for a Stepmania theming job as well, Max~
Quote: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31374809/quotesilver2.png
08:08:46 · Silverhawke: IE is the best browser
08:08:51 · Silverhawke: to download other browsers
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31374809/LakersandDDRbanner.png

Post #20 · Posted at 2013-06-04 04:18:57am 10.8 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

"Charlie isn't real"
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Q3BDeDdkObY/UGNgOCyhs5I/AAAAAAAADQw/bXDbsZbJxDU/s1600/oprah-bees.gif

But seriously, I want all these themes @___@
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 6% · Database: 12% · Server Time: 2024-03-28 23:36:22
This page took 0.024 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language