Logo

What Made You Interested in DDR in the First Place?

Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #21 · Posted at 2012-09-11 10:07:22am 11.6 years ago

Offline Zukin-Man
Zukin-Man Avatar Member+
4,679 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-05-12

Nintendo Network ID: I.C.Howie3DS Friend Code: 2938-8870-4744
"Nature: Naughty"
Back in the day, when I heard Do It All Night, Upside Down, and Captain Jack on 3rd Mix, I thought "Hey, this music is all right" and while I didn't get into playing it, I was more than happy to start downloading songs and crap off Kazaa.

A few years later, I walked by a 5th Mix, heard some 2Unlimited stuff on there, and was liek "Okay, I need to learn how to play this."

Post #22 · Posted at 2012-09-11 10:09:57am 11.6 years ago

Offline -Viper-
-Viper- Avatar Member+
2,407 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-26

3DS Friend Code: 1091-8797-8693
When me and my sister would go to my aunt and uncles every other weekend back in 2006, he had bought DDR Extreme 2 to give us something to do while we were there. Every other weekend we would get a little bit further in Dance Master Mode.

Been hooked ever since.

Post #23 · Posted at 2012-09-11 10:11:55am 11.6 years ago

Offline DDRPhoenix
DDRPhoenix Avatar Member
629 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-10-17

Last updated: 2012-09-11 10:13am
Wow! So many responses! I'm really happy reading these stories guys.
My DDR Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/iamchris4lifefan11?feature=mhee

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/User%20Names/DDRPhoenix.png
You're the best Lord Toon! Very Happy

Post #24 · Posted at 2012-09-11 10:40:30am 11.6 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: maxninja1143DS Friend Code: 392661848995Game Center Nickname: maxninja114
"Charlie isn't real"
Back in Late 2000, my family took me and my older brother to go to an arcade/mini-golf/go-kart place, there I found DDR USA.

I've seen and played a lot of arcade games since I was 4 years old, but never in my life have I ever seen a machine that required you to step on arrows in time with the music on the screen. Ok, I did know about Spider Stomp but this was different, you had to look at the screen while watching your foot placement. My first song was Mr. Wonderful / smile.dk, I played on Basic and ended up with a C grade, since then I was just in love with the game and the concept of it all.

A few months pass by and my older brother met a friend in high school who had DDR KONAMIX for the PS1, she was nice enough to let us borrow the game plus the mat so that we could play. Soon afterwards we heard that there was going to be a DDR game for the PS2 (DDRMAX) and we got the bundled version of the game. And pretty much since then I've been getting all the major DDR PS2 games and then the PS3 one (no idea why), and eventually with DDR II and HP.

Post #25 · Posted at 2012-09-11 10:55:03am 11.6 years ago

Offline Pandemonium X
Pandemonium X Avatar Member
10,358 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-04-06

Nintendo Network ID: PandemoniumEJPNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2916-7192-8116
After playing DDR for the first time, I was in a theater youth class and they had a DDR club thing. It became a competition on who could beat the best player in the class. After I got to be #1 I was just finding out about songs outside MAX2 CS. The first time I saw the full Extreme list blew my mind. I wanted to play all the songs. Over time I was passing 8s and 9s and pretty much became a hobby.

Post #26 · Posted at 2012-09-11 11:04:55am 11.6 years ago

Offline DDRPhoenix
DDRPhoenix Avatar Member
629 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-10-17

Last updated: 2012-09-11 11:05am
Quote: Pandemonium X
After playing DDR for the first time, I was in a theater youth class and they had a DDR club thing. It became a competition on who could beat the best player in the class. After I got to be #1 I was just finding out about songs outside MAX2 CS. The first time I saw the full Extreme list blew my mind. I wanted to play all the songs. Over time I was passing 8s and 9s and pretty much became a hobby.

I remember playing DDR at school (unfortunately it was in the groove but whatever). I was the best one as well. Happy
My DDR Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/iamchris4lifefan11?feature=mhee

Post #27 · Posted at 2012-09-11 11:12:54am 11.6 years ago

Offline warpdr!ve
warpdr!ve Avatar Member
339 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-09-15

"Fairy-nough"
Well, one day I was leaving from a movie I saw with my grandparents many years ago and I wanted to walk through the arcade afterwards. My grandmother gave me a dollar and told me to go dance, in a joking/sarcastic voice. So I did, and I really enjoyed it. (I think the last song I played on that first set was Incognito Light, as it was an ITG2.)

And ever since then, I've been playing on and off. It's been a long time since then, back when one of my friends who I got to play and I thought passing Spaceman Standard made you the lord of the dance.
https://i.imgur.com/tWT2soq.png

Thanks to Lord Toon for the wonderful sig image!

If you'd like a review on a contest chart, PM me! (Reviews will probably be given on or around the Friday after the PM fyi.)

Post #28 · Posted at 2012-09-11 11:25:18am 11.6 years ago

Offline Drumrush7
Drumrush7 Avatar Member
149 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-08-04

The funny thing is, I actually had no idea what DDR was until Extreme for PS2 came out. I remember seeing a commercial for it a long time ago, but I was at Game Crazy (before Hollywood Video's bankruptcy) looking for a present with my parents, and seeing this box: "Dance Dance Revolution Extreme" with support for the Eyetoy. Started playing it on the day of my sisters birthday, but I never got a single chance to play the game that day, and I was forced to sit and watch. The next day I started playing the mini-games, and after that, I started playing the actual game and started getting hooked. For years I decided to train myself to get better at this game, and it somewhat paid off. I lost interest a few years ago as I stopped playing for a year or two, but then over some recent months ago, and thanks to Stepmania, I'm back trying to play DDR regularly again, and I'm starting to get at least 3x better than I was years ago. I was just playing the console games at the time and buying so many dance mats to get there, but now I'm practicing with Stepmania, and arcade versions to get better at existing songs since I have an Extreme, SuperNOVA, SuperNOVA 2, and X2 machine within about 45 minutes of my area. I'm really happy that I'm back playing this game, and I don't think I'll stop anytime soon.
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/ddrsig/12236.png?t=1347140153

Post #29 · Posted at 2012-09-11 11:30:24am 11.6 years ago

Offline DDRPhoenix
DDRPhoenix Avatar Member
629 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-10-17

@Drumrush7

That's awesome man! I'm happy you got back into it. That happend to me too (about losing interest for a while and then gaining interest again, thanks to Kon and DrD). I also don't think I'll stop playing anytime soon either (unless I lose one of my legs which I hope to God that'll never happen).

Post #30 · Posted at 2012-09-11 11:38:14am 11.6 years ago

Offline FlameyBoy
FlameyBoy Avatar Member
335 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-03-09

My mom went to the local Y, which had this "kid's fitness gym" thing where you could climb a net, build some stuff with big foam blocks, play on a swing of some sort, and finally, play DDR (Extreme at that point, much later replaced with DCE). I was captivated by DDR, though mostly by the minigames at that point. I wasn't any good at the game at that point. A while after that, I played some arcade dance game that I can't really identify. My memories make it look something like DDRMAX2, but I'm not really sure anymore.

Christmas of 2005 was basically when I got started, as I got a GameCube with Mario Mix. A few months later, I started playing a ton of StepMania, and eventually that brought me here.

Post #31 · Posted at 2012-09-11 11:47:16am 11.6 years ago

Offline DDRPhoenix
DDRPhoenix Avatar Member
629 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-10-17

@FlameyBoy

I used to play DDR at the Y until I had my own metal pad. I had some old videos of me playing there but I deleted them.

Post #32 · Posted at 2012-09-11 11:56:49am 11.6 years ago

Offline SM MaxX
SM MaxX Avatar Member+
910 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-08-30

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1495-0040-1058
"I play too much touhou"
I saw people playing it and thought "Hey that looks fun" so I started playing.

This can be said for ITG, PIU and IIDX as well haha.
http://i.imgur.com/EvGgqSs.png

Post #33 · Posted at 2012-09-11 12:12:02pm 11.6 years ago

Offline forcednature
forcednature Avatar Member
1,015 Posts
Germany
Reg. 2012-06-12

""Captain uwu""
First off I was bored. Then I found out about Stepmania because a friend told me how stupid this was. Holy shit he was WRONG.

Out of curiosity, I got SM, but I had to download a simfile pack too for being able to play it! My choices were DDRMAX and DDRMAX2.

The first song I played was AFRONOVA (FROM NONSTOP MEGAMIX). Holy shit this song was intended to hook me up for 3 YEARS before I could pass the ChallengeChallenge chart. On the keyboard.

After I learnt how to create screenshots of my results, i posted them on some community (Dont remember which one) and people asked me "Did you play this on pad?" I answered "What's a pad?" And people started facepalming all the way. Because I wanted to know what a pad is, I bought one from ebay. FORTUNATELY I BOUGHT A METAL PAD.

I failed FLASH IN THE NIGHT Light.
Holy shit I couldn't stop playing.
https://i.imgur.com/SkGLw82.png

Post #34 · Posted at 2012-09-11 12:15:29pm 11.6 years ago

Offline DDRPhoenix
DDRPhoenix Avatar Member
629 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-10-17

Quote: FoRCeDNaTuRe
After I learnt how to create screenshots of my results, i posted them on some community (Dont remember which one) and people asked me "Did you play this on pad?" I answered "What's a pad?" And people started facepalming all the way.

LOL.

Post #35 · Posted at 2012-09-11 05:44:01pm 11.6 years ago

Offline black4ever
black4ever Avatar Member
871 Posts
Philippines
Reg. 2011-06-26

I had DDR 1stMIX, 2ndReMIX, and BEST HITS on my PS1 (with a pad) 9 years ago when I was 5. (Back then, I started playing on Light and Beginner (BEST HITS)) I then received 2ndReMIX Club APPEND 1 and I had EXACTLY no idea on how to use it. I have been playing on pad at lot before and a lot that I couldn't move one time (LOL) and got pretty good scores. Also, my family would call it "Dance Revo. " I would even go to arcades before (I think the first one was DDR SuperNOVA) and play DDR. Now, I have all PS2 DDR USA games after a trip to Gamestop and now unlocking almost everything in Extreme 2. I still have 1stMIX, 2ndREMIX, an APPEND Club Version 1. (RIP DDR Best Hits)

I started the arcades fully when I saw DDR SuperNOVA and played on Tutorial, then moved on to All Music. I remembered playing on a 4thMIX machine before in Las Vegas 7 years and played DDR USA on Seaworld Orlando and Las Vegas too. (Damn I miss those) Then I played EXTREME and ITG on Chicago. In the Philippines, the last time I played was DDR SuperNOVA 2 3 years ago, then stopped playing.

What a fun and long experience I had, LOL.
http://i.imgur.com/Zd3d7ps.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/zfBbyet.png
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View my simfile category. ------------- Or visit my dA.

Post #36 · Posted at 2012-09-11 07:25:40pm 11.6 years ago

Offline Parafox
Parafox Avatar Member
111 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2011-09-18

Last updated: 2012-09-11 07:27pm
Sorry, long-ish post, but I'll try to make it as entertaining as possible.

Well, DDR was the first game I ever remember playing. One day I saw my mom play "Have You Never Been Mellow" on Basic, and I wanted to try the game. It was the first original DDR for the American market (3rd mix in Japan I guess?) and my mom owned this plastic mat which was super loud. Well I was interested, so I decided to try it, and well, I kept failing over and over again. It was on the pattern of up down up down because I didn't know I was supposed to alternate feet. Well I kept playing until I finally got it, and I realized how awesome the game was, so I played it for the next few years. Since I was young, I really didn't care about score, I just want to have fun and even a full combo was pretty rad for me.

And then I guess I took a big break from DDR? I completely lost interest and began playing other American games like Rock Band and whatnot.

Well, one day my parents told me that we were moving to Japan, and at this time I still had no interest in DDR (last game I remembered was DDR Supernova, and it was new at the time so that's how long the break was). Well, disappointed that I had to leave my American life, I went to Japan and am still living here. Well once we got situated, we explored the area a little bit. There's something called a shopping arcade (it's basically a really long walkway with stores on the side, also known as the "ginza" for English speakers). Inside the shopping arcade, they had two gaming arcades. I went into both of them, and neither one of them had DDR. It was kinda weird because since I lived near Chicago, there were DDR machines everywhere.

With this it sparked my curiosity as to what happened with DDR after I played it last time. Well I started looking up videos of how DDR evolved over the years and I was pretty shocked at how different it was. The charts were a LOT more harder and there was a new cabinet design and whatnot. So I re-installed Stepmania onto my computer and tried out all the old songs that I used to remember, and I can remember the huge sense of nostalgia that I had listening to songs like Boom Boom Dollar and Trip Machine. Well it made me feel really happy for some dumb reason, so I guess I remembered how DDR used to be my favorite game back then.

Came summer, my family had planned a trip to go to Osaka. Since it was a major city, I utilized this opportunity because I knew somewhere they had to have a DDR cabinet. Well I saw the arcade with the DDR cabinet in the front, and I remembered that I saw in on a youtube video somewhere. Still being in my "DDR is just for fun, not for score" state, I was more than excited to see a DDR cabinet and I didn't care how bad I was. Well, I was really bad. Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz4evyzfLB8

Believe it or not, I was really tired after this song and I didn't even come close to a full combo. Oh well, all that mattered was that it was fun and I still needed work to do.

Well eventually I realized how much fun it was aiming for accuracy. As a child I always wanted to get an AAA, but I never did. Well time went by, I picked up In The Groove, started playing harder songs from like Mad Matt on keyboard to practice timing, I watched youtube videos of great players, and eventually found a cabinet that's an hour away from me that's DDR X3. Even though I only got to play at the arcade once a month due to the distance, I went from failing Max 300 one day, getting a D on Max 300, getting a B on Max 300, getting an A on Max 300, and then an AA without practicing inbetween. However, if I want to get better, I should really practice more, but it's hard considering I can't drive and toll fees in Japan are really expensive (but with the cabinet, it's 100 yen for 8 songs (2 credits) or 12 songs if you get an encore).

And here I am today. I know this score even then still isn't good, but it was just a test to measure my stamina since I never played the song, and plus I wasn't that tired after I completed it.

So uhh, yeah. That's my story on how I got into DDR and what keeps me interested. I acknowledge that I'm still pretty bad at the game, but because I love it and am totally addicted to it, I just have fun with it. It's hard to grind to be better considering I have to play with my older brother all the time, and mainly we just want to have fun instead of replaying songs for a better score, but I make use of what I can.

Post #37 · Posted at 2012-09-11 07:27:35pm 11.6 years ago

Offline silenttype01
silenttype01 Avatar Member+
8,023 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-01-19

"DINGDONG♥HEARTS"
My cousin bought Ultramix 2 when it came out to lose weight. I decided to buy Extreme CS to lose weight as well.

I lost weight. He didn't.

Post #38 · Posted at 2012-09-11 07:49:41pm 11.6 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
I saw DDR Max on Toys R Us with 2 pads for 20 bucks and thought it'd be a great way to kill time.

Post #39 · Posted at 2012-09-11 08:54:34pm 11.6 years ago

Offline gameboy573
gameboy573 Avatar Member
428 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-04-19

Nintendo Network ID: SapphonixNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-3116-0565-80313DS Friend Code: 5301-0228-4706
"Thank you for releasing me!"
I have a cabin "up north" that my family shares with my uncle's family. My cousin brought a PS2 and DDRMAX2, and I got into it, so I bought DDRMAX2 first thing when I got home. I remember my brother, sister, cousin, and I trying to pass Conga Feeling Expert with each of us kneeling and hitting one pad with our hands. Those were the days...

Post #40 · Posted at 2012-09-11 09:04:45pm 11.6 years ago

Offline Nightime
Nightime Avatar Member
1,116 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-10-18
MySpace: d34dm34t
"ARR JOO LEADY??"

Last updated: 2012-09-11 09:04pm
Quote: DDRPhoenix
Quote: FoRCeDNaTuRe
After I learnt how to create screenshots of my results, i posted them on some community (Dont remember which one) and people asked me "Did you play this on pad?" I answered "What's a pad?" And people started facepalming all the way.

LOL.

WOW. Almost thirteen years, and you're the FIRST person I know that BEGAN with simulation. Smile That's just qwesome.

Quote: Aegis
I saw DDR Max on Toys R Us with 2 pads for 20 bucks and thought it'd be a great way to kill time.

You was right.

Funny fact, there was a point where I was consistently SSS'ing BRILLIANT 2U Light, and then failing IF YOU WERE HERE Light in the same game. Those 1/8s were MURDER.
https://i.imgur.com/C2il3tl.png
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 3% · Database: 8% · Server Time: 2024-04-18 18:29:19
This page took 0.014 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language