Logo

What Made You Interested in DDR in the First Place?

Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2012-09-11 03:50:24am 11.6 years ago

Offline DDRPhoenix
DDRPhoenix Avatar Member
629 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-10-17

Last updated: 2014-09-08 12:03am
Just like the title says, what made you get into DDR in the first place? Did you see an ad? Did someone showed it to you? Or maybe you saw it in an arcade and got into it? Tell me your story (try to make it brief though). Oh, and if there's already a thread like this I will be more than glad to delete this.

Okay, to get started, I'll tell you how I got into DDR:

It was about 5-6 years ago. My brother showed it to me on the computer one time. The song was DoLL. I was just marveled by this game. Heck, I even pretended to play the charts on the computer screen (no pad) because I loved it so much! lol. I started actually playing it myself. I started off on Light I believe. Then I started to play easy Standard and then I eased my way to easy Heavy. Then I started doing harder Heavy and Challenge songs which is where I'm at today. And I'm getting better every day too. I'm just so glad I found out about this game. I truly believe it is where I belong to; like it was my true calling. Very Happy
My DDR Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/iamchris4lifefan11?feature=mhee

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/User%20Names/DDRPhoenix.png
You're the best Lord Toon! Very Happy

Post #2 · Posted at 2012-09-11 04:02:43am 11.6 years ago

Offline Oni-91
Oni-91 Avatar Moderator+
13,492 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2006-10-20

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-3445-5569-17913DS Friend Code: 008736577880
"Ambivalent Viennetta"
Right, I THINK the duplicate thread issue is because people are clicking the Post Thread button repeatedly. Remember, you only need to press the button once.
ZIv Mod Squad: "I'm a trash panda now, don't worry about it"
Can you make music? ZENIUS -I- MANIA 2023 NEEDS YOU
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvT2ARPaQAAxRVX.jpg:large

Post #3 · Posted at 2012-09-11 04:09:53am 11.6 years ago

Offline seishinbyou
seishinbyou Avatar Member
617 Posts
Japan
Reg. 2010-07-08

Game Center Nickname: aijbot
"Wow, 4 types of corn!"
I got into it because I noticed it at the Taito Station arcade in Minami-Matsumoto (Nagano) with my Karate group in 1998. I recognized the music in the game and it was all unique and fun and stuff.
http://aaronin.jp/shashin/konmainewbanner.jpg

Post #4 · Posted at 2012-09-11 04:11:07am 11.6 years ago

Offline NEMESetup
NEMESetup Avatar Member
2,026 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-12-30

"Gimme a mothaf----n' break!"

Last updated: 2012-09-11 04:15am
I had to have a friend of mine get me interested in DDR.

When I first found out about DDR, there was a DDR USA machine in my local bowling alley (this was about 12 years ago). At first I didn't know what to think of it because I never saw anything like it, but I decided to try it out. I put however many tokens it cost to play it, chose a song, and failed immediately. I just did not understand what had to be done and I walked away in shame.

Then a year later, I went to visit a friend of mine in the Bronx and she had Dance Dance Revolution, DDR KONAMIX, and DDRMAX. I realized that she understood the concept of DDR and watched her play. She could only play on BASIC/LIGHT mode, but just seeing that and how she played it really helped me understand how the game worked and I decided to try it out for a second time. This time, it worked out and I passed my first song ever, which was Groove. Since then I wanted to get better and kept playing over the years. The first goal I gave myself was learning how to pass AFRONOVA PRIMEVAL. I heard the preview of that song in KONAMIX and I fell in love with it, but was too afraid to try it because I could tell it was very fast.

Post #5 · Posted at 2012-09-11 05:03:37am 11.6 years ago

Offline PaperSak
PaperSak Avatar Member
1,248 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-09-16

Nintendo Network ID: PaperSak3DS Friend Code: 2363-5848-1224
"Take your hater shades off."
Hmm... its lovely existence got me into it?

I first played Pump and, probably just because it was my first game, I hated it. xD; Theeeen years and years later, I found a DDR machine while I was by myself at some arcade. Fff, I really don't remember what happened... only that the rest of the arcade was kind of boring so I spent that afternoon hogging the DDR machine (or spamming Love Shine) because it was inexplicably awesome. And... I've always been physically inactive, so this was a good game to get into. Then I roped my sister and my cousin in it.

Once I met other people who played the game, I stayed hooked onto it. :D There's so much to the game that makes it last several years... getting exercise, a little freestyle, training friends, shipping, competing with people, collecting the overabundance of awesome music, making charts... and stuff.

Post #6 · Posted at 2012-09-11 05:16:37am 11.6 years ago

Offline LTenku
LTenku Avatar Member
13 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-12-16

I was dared during a band field trip to Panama City. Roll Eyes

I've never seen it before but I was a quick learner (as in, don't stand in the center, etc). I distinctly remember the first song I failed, and that was So DeepLight. The song that struck me the most was HVAM. A week later, I got MAX2 with the bundle and some time after that MAX. Continued up to X, but stopped until I went to college where a certain person on this site got me back into it, among other people.

When I got to college (there was an Extreme!), at that point, I could barely do 8s, but within that year, I went up to 9s -- my friends even helped me through the list and then some, ha. I've still got some work to do on the X scale (Legend of MaxHeavy, I'm gunning for you. Super SamuraiHeavy, you're next!)

Post #7 · Posted at 2012-09-11 05:24:02am 11.6 years ago

Offline DJ OMiY
DJ OMiY Avatar Member
1,768 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-08-22

3DS Friend Code: 184820672999
"Mage Evangelist"
I had seen the game for years at arcades/malls/theaters and stuff, but I had never had any interest in playing it. I remember seeing it once at a party my sister was throwing when I was quite young, but it was for her and her friends so I wasn't allowed to play.

A year or two later I got to play it at my cousins' house, DDRMAX for the PS2. I think the first song I played was BABY BABY GIMME YOUR LOVE because I was scared to fail. The songs I was comfortable with were OVERBLASTLight, SANDSTORMLight, and PEACE-OUTLight. I loved electronic music, but I had never been able to find any good sources of it except for 90's bubblegum pop groups (like Aqua). So DDR gave me a bunch of neat music to play and listen to.

I kept trying to pass Dark Black Forest (short trip)Light, CANDY★Light, exotic ethnicLight, and stomp to my beatLight. I didn't end up passing them until the next year when I got DDR EXTREME, MAX, and MAX2 for myself.
https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/simfiles/PROJECT%20CRYSTALLINE/PROJECT%20CRYSTALLINE.png?1549654414
PROJECT CRYSTALLINE is a thing!

Post #8 · Posted at 2012-09-11 05:25:32am 11.6 years ago

Offline agentmargo
agentmargo Avatar Member
1,071 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-04-24

"Full Stream Ahead!"

Last updated: 2012-09-11 05:26am
I remember playing DDR on the occasion at friend's houses or arcades, but I was never really good and I decided the game just might not be for me. However, when my family went on vacation, I saw this dude play on doubles on a brand new SuperNOVA machine and was extremely fascinated(no pun intended) and really wanted to get that good. I got the game as a Christmas gift when I was in 9th grade and worked my way up to expert. What truly got me started on loving the game to an obsession was the DDR characters! Robo-Zukin and Baby-Lon were my absolute favorites(Zukin(s) still remains to be my favorite)!!! And I eventually got into Stellar Master Mode to the point of having so much drive to unlock Pizza Box(it was really bad actually). When I got my metal mat in late 2009 though, I really brought things to another level and enjoyed DDR because I was actually improving on songs and getting better scores. Now I like it because of everything(except Justin Bieber).

That game also changed my music interests. I used to be a super-major prep who listened to mainstream stuff, but DDR opened up a world of techno, euro-pop, jpop and so many better musicians and songs out there. Without it, I'd probably be a fan of some manufactured fake pop artist instead of the amazing Sota Fujimori!!!
Thanks so much for the banner Lord Toon! And for the icon Dan!
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac296/agentmargo/Other%20Stuff/Agentmargo.png

Post #9 · Posted at 2012-09-11 05:34:20am 11.6 years ago

Offline DMAxel
DMAxel Avatar Member
2,823 Posts
Chile
Reg. 2007-10-01

One day, my brother told me about this fun game where you had to stomp the arrows following the music, and we went to an arcade that had a DDR machine. That's where everything began.

Then, we bought a CS DDR game, and we also started to frequent the arcades to play either DDR, Pump It Up or even EZ2Dancer.

Post #10 · Posted at 2012-09-11 05:39:50am 11.6 years ago

Offline Blinded_No_More
Blinded_No_More Avatar Member
829 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-02-19

"The eurobeat journeyman!"
I had heard about the game for a while but had never gotten the chance to play it. Out of curiosity I tried it at an arcade, and one run of CARTOON HEROES (Speedy Mix) later, I was hooked. Got it on PS2 (SuperNOVA) a few months later.
UPCOMING: My newest simfile project...

Post #11 · Posted at 2012-09-11 06:35:49am 11.6 years ago

Offline King_Mew
King_Mew Avatar Member
269 Posts
United States
Reg. 2012-06-27

Nintendo Network ID: mewy573
"Fast 'n Bulbous!"
My sister got into it after playing Disney Channel edition at her friend's birthday party. Said friend was rich and apparently had two metal pads with bars. Anyways, a few years later, she got DDRMAX for PS2 used at GameStop, since she couldn't afford the newer DDR games at the time. She fell in love with it, but I disliked it. I remember she would stay up late playing it and I would be kept awake by the sounds of her stomping on the mat downstairs. Every once in a while, I would play with her just so she would play a game I liked with me. I liked RUGGED ASH, so much that I put it on my MP3 player. Eventually we got Hottest Party 3, but I still didn't like DDR. Eventually I just tried playing lesson mode on MAX (by this time, DDRMAX was a faint memory after watching my sister play HP3 for so long) and I started to get a hang of it. The first song I managed to play was 5.1.1. Light. I couldn't even beat the later lesson mode chapters.

Soon I started playing more. I remember I was terrified of 8th notes. I would play on little at all times to avoid them. Laughing Hard I kept getting better and soon I was able to beat my favorite song, RUGGED ASH, on Light with little turned off.

And then I became an addict.

It seem like such a long time ago that I started becoming "good" at DDR (and by that I mean just being able to play most songs on Heavy ) but in reality only a year ago was I playing Paranoia Evolution Light and getting chills up my spine.
http://mew151.net/creative/coke_a.png Rippin' bro, you cleared it!

Post #12 · Posted at 2012-09-11 07:26:47am 11.6 years ago

Offline BemaniFan2237
BemaniFan2237 Avatar Member
521 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-11-10

i forgot how i got into it i think it was from my school i think i got into bemani from SilverSprit though
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/pictures/10354-1327395568.png

Post #13 · Posted at 2012-09-11 07:40:00am 11.6 years ago

Offline RGTM
RGTM Avatar Moderator+
7,202 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-19

Nintendo Network ID: xRGTMxNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-6034-2315-7724Game Center Nickname: xRGTMx
"BBCode Not Allowed"
From my About Me:

"My first experience with DDR was in Wildwood, New Jersey around the year 2000. I was seven years old at the time. Me and my family were walking on the boardwalk one night, and we happened to notice a strange, yet eye-catching machine in the arcade. It was called Dance Dance Revolution. (Key mind you, this is DDR 1st mix.) After one guy played a round, I decided to play. It can't be THAT hard, can it? WELP, I was wrong. The first song I picked was BUTTERFLY, and I failed miserably.

The next year, at my local arcade, a DDR machine was installed. My face lit up. I played it again. This time, however, I didn't fail at songs. However, I got low grades like D and C, but that didn't phase me. I loved playing it. Once again, the year after THAT, the DDR machine was replaced with DDR EXTREME. Boy, was that fun. I got a little bit better, but that was not what sparked my inner player. This is:

In Christmas of 2005, I got a bunch of presents, mostly video games. The two games that made my Christmas so special were Guitar Hero and DDR Extreme 2 for the PS2. Of course I played Guitar Hero, but I didn't play it as much as the DDR I got. That was when I made the jump from to / in about a couple of months. Talk about a MASSIVE improvement.

That was six years ago. Now, you would see me at the local arcade playing on a DDR SuperNOVA. After those years of practice, it's safe to say that I'm one of the best in my area."
ZIv Mod Squad: "shark jumpscare"
https://i.imgur.com/YdfMaWU.gif

Post #14 · Posted at 2012-09-11 07:39:58am 11.6 years ago

Offline RGTM
RGTM Avatar Moderator+
7,202 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-19

Nintendo Network ID: xRGTMxNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-6034-2315-7724Game Center Nickname: xRGTMx
"BBCode Not Allowed"

Last updated: 2012-09-11 07:40am
EDIT: How did I just double post?
ZIv Mod Squad: "shark jumpscare"
https://i.imgur.com/YdfMaWU.gif

Post #15 · Posted at 2012-09-11 07:42:38am 11.6 years ago

Offline chewi
chewi Avatar Member+
8,537 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-02-24

Saw some guy playing it at the arcade and thought it looked cool and so I played it and got really addicted to it.

Post #16 · Posted at 2012-09-11 07:53:40am 11.6 years ago

Offline Arrows&Beats
Arrows&Beats Avatar Banned
2,594 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-08-13

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0428-9949Game Center Nickname: Padoo
"Witch hunt victim."
Quote: xRGTMx
EDIT: How did I just double post?

How did you triple post, even?

Post #17 · Posted at 2012-09-11 07:59:51am 11.6 years ago

Offline Hlavco
Hlavco Avatar Member
93 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-06-02

My friend showed it to me when I was over at his house. He had two pads and every mix from DDRMax and earlier. We mostly played Konamix and Max, and later Max2. Eventually I decided I liked the game enough to buy one of those cheap $10 pads from Gamestop and borrowed his copy of Disney Mix, which was what I learned on. By the time I got my first DDR game, DDRMax2, for Christmas that year, I was into the low-to-mid Maniac range (I could clear everything on Disney Mix except My Summer Love -- funny because slow songs now tend to be my favorites).

It might be odd, but I was doing nine-footers at home on Konami soft pads before I ever got to try an arcade DDR game. Maybe that's why it never occurred to me to hold the bar or use mods or anything like that. A few months after I got Max2, my uncle opened this big indoor sports place with an arcade in the basement, which contained a perfect DDR Extreme machine, with working memory card slots and everything. At the time I was confused, because it had been upgraded from a DDRMax2 without changing the marquee, so I was expecting it to have lots of songs from my home version (I didn't know about all the songs hidden within the sort options). It was also tough to get started as the thing somehow had ten tokens jammed in the coin slot that we had to dig out with a paperclip. Either way, I got to practice on it a lot, as my uncle would have all-night New Years' parties so I'd get probably four or five solid hours in without much interruption. Sadly my uncle sold the place and the machine is now a SuperNOVA.

Post #18 · Posted at 2012-09-11 08:04:05am 11.6 years ago

Offline Silverhawke
Silverhawke Avatar Member+
4,606 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2009-01-27

3DS Friend Code: 3496-9710-9426
"highwind fluffdragon"
Quote: BemaniFan2237
SilverSprit
I was very hungry and there's only my sister, no one else in the house. She was playing this game on the PlayStation. I was disinterested but she told me I have to play it if I want food. So I played it and got addicted that I forgot I was hungry and didn't even realize my sister had made food. Since then, I got stomach ulcers.
my homepage → silverhawke.xyz

Post #19 · Posted at 2012-09-11 08:07:09am 11.6 years ago

Offline Nightime
Nightime Avatar Member
1,116 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-10-18
MySpace: d34dm34t
"ARR JOO LEADY??"

Last updated: 2012-09-11 08:14am
agentmargo: Think about it - DDR could be the difference between you now, and your Belieber evil incarnate!! Shocked

Mine started with my Marvel vs. Capcom 2 addiction. I was always into fighting games and was quite the metal head at the time.
ImL >.< JmI

Playstation was still the console of the times, and the internet was still really fresh. 56k dial-up was the "high speed" of the internet which at the time, was still sparing with images, nonexistant with music/sound/video, and the biggity diggitys on the block were AOL and Yahoo!, and people that didn't like IE didn't get Chrome or Firefox... they got Netscape Navigator. If you were lucky, you could download a song via Napster, and it only took about three days.

Personally, I always wondered why they never went with an actual "gator" icon. But w/e.

Now that the mood is set, DDR Solo 2000 popped up right behind MvC2 - which was still Dreamcast only, and nobody I knew had that much cash rolling around. Watched a couple of people play it early on, and it got me intrigued. Songs like GET OFF and SEXY PLANET gave it that sexy edge that appealed to me, and I recognized TOGETHER & FOREVER as a Mickey Mouse March cover, but didn't quite formulate why it sounded so familiar. I popped it on 3-panel mode... and failed. Three times a day, for three days.

Back then, there was no Beginner charts. There was ONE SONG per mix that had a L1 Light chart, and maybe 4-6 L2 ones. At three songs per game, it didn't offer a lot of variety to start with, but that also motivated players to push into L3s-4s, which were considerably more varied and ultimately, fun. This also became rather expensive with regular exposure, and back then, DDR wasn't localized at all.

A little after I'd gotten into it, and kinda roped some more people here into it as well, making the first major crew of friends I'd ever affiliated with for a long time; the arcade eventually added a 3rd Mix, and then replaced Solo 2k with a SECOND 3rd Mix machine. I kinda missed Solo, because I was just getting good at 6-panel when they flopped it. We also happened upon "Diet Diet Revolution," an indie engine that's like Stepmania 0.01. It didn't have MP3 support, so all the songs were uncompressed WAV files, or associated with burned CD tracks (like the 2nd Mix engine was). It also didn't support BPM adjustments at all, and didn't have a stepchart editor. This was raw Notepad, here; trial-and-error adjusting. Kinda banded together with some graphics peeps and helped knock out 3rd-4th Mix Plus simfiles (which also mirrored to Delight Delight Reduplication, a IIDX vs. DDR simulator that finally DID add BPM adjustments and 6-panel support, and MP3 compatibility; although versus mode had to be made manually - not just by playing two charts at once!). There was all of TWO fan-mixes I'm aware of at the time, the first a grip of stages made by RED ALiCE of Touhou fame, based on some original compositions, and the OST's of ParaParaParadise and DanceManiaX.

The second one was "Rock Rock Devilution."

Simfile mentality was totally different back then. It wasn't about perfect emulation/complete version of DDR and tournament-practice, we still used arcades for that. It was simply a means of practicing stepchart patterns that didn't cost us $40 per week. A bit later, I learned about importing Japanese PS1 games, which I'd never done before, and thought the whole PSX-Change was kind of sketchy, and I was mistrustful about modding my precious/expensive console for just that. But eventually I bit the bullet, and discovered the home version features like Edit Mode and Endless Mode, which was totally worth it.

Took about a year to get up to L5 Light, a second to easier Heavy, and around summer of 2001, friends and I were practicing to bust out the CATASTROPHICs. Ironically, the toughest ones for many of us were GRADIUSIC CYBER (AMD-G5) and LEADING CYBER. Once we hit the home versions, one look at ORION.78 -civilization mix-, and it was like WHOA. That is SO EFFING HARD!! Nobody's EVER gonna be able to keep up with a song like THAT! But trading edits was the funnest shidazzle ever.

2001 came along, and so did 5th Mix. And DDRMAX. -AND- the main US localization of DDR (FINALLY). This presented a few challenges, at the time. Pauses. Holds. The PlayStation 2 and that financial barricade. Things in DDR got great. Things in simulation got dicey. (The pauses were usually a 1/32 note BPM shift to something like 6 BPM, trial-and-error again, to make it work right - or sometimes just with the space left empty.) Along came Dance With Intensity and Stepmania 1.0 (which functionally looked like the 4th Mix interface, and was really slow/choppy!). But they added CRS format and streamlined stepcharting, so I spent 4.5 days recreating from MSD format to DWI; which on the poor man's computer, was the sim I went with - SM was high-end stuff in it's day. DDRMAX 2 followed surprisingly rapidly behind DDRMAX - so much that our arcade went directly from 4th Mix PLUS straight to MAX2. And right about then, I went to school in Long Beach. It kinda divided me from the DDR communities, although I met a few players down south, and in the CSULB Anime Club.

When I returned, hooooley crap. BMR, BemaniStyle, DDR:UK (which took simulation to extremes, even reproducing errors and inconsistencies in the games, and recreating 5th Mix's DATA BANK), EXTREME and In The Groove. I look at the simfile/fanmix/DDR community and... WOW. It's still staggering what it's all become!
https://i.imgur.com/C2il3tl.png

Post #20 · Posted at 2012-09-11 09:22:31am 11.6 years ago

Offline Tash
Tash Avatar Member
38 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2012-03-25

Last updated: 2012-09-11 09:30am
I was one of the ones dragging in by a specific song that grabbed me. For most people, it's usually something like Butterfly, Love Shine, Cartoon Heroes, or (there's another one that people usually name, but I forget it at the moment). For me, it was Dancing Pompokolin.
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 3% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-04-16 17:46:53
This page took 0.017 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language