Post #1 · Posted at 2013-12-23 04:25:58am 10.3 years ago

Offline silenttype01
silenttype01 Avatar Member+
8,023 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-01-19

"DINGDONG♥HEARTS"

Last updated: 2015-06-02 01:27pm
I've been working on drum transcriptions for over a year now. A person can simply play along to a tune and make their own patterns, but I prefer to play a song exactly as it's heard as that's what people will prefer to listen. Every now and then I'll update this thread with transcriptions and lead sheets for the bass drum.

I don't mind taking requests for a drum transcription. Just ask for which approach you prefer: a note-for-note transcription, or a lead sheet where you only see the cues that you have to hit. All are PDF files unless otherwise noted

Artist - Album - Song

Drum Transcriptions
Audioslave - Audioslave - Show Me How to Live
Billy Joel - The Stranger - Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Delilah [trading four's section]
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - All the Young Girls Love Alice
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Funeral for a Friend/Loves Lies Bleeding
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand - Auf Achse
Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean - Mirage
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger - The Art of Happiness
Jean-Luc Ponty - Mystical Adventures - Mystical Adventures Suite Part 3
Jethro Tull - Aqualung - Aqualung
John Siegler, John Loeffler - Pokémon: 2B A Master - Pokémon Theme
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction - Symphony of Destruction [from Rock Band 3]
Metric - Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? - IOU
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 6 - Dancing Mad (Final Act)
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 8 - The Extreme
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 10 - Brass de Chocobo
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - Lasso
Poni Hoax - Images of Sigrid - Crash-Pad Driver
Queen - Hot Space - Back Chat
The Who - Who's Next - Won't Get Fooled Again [joke transcription] [png]
System of a Down - Hypnotize - Hypnotize
Yes - Fragile - Heart of the Sunrise

Drum Lead Sheets
Bruno Mars - Unorthodox Jukebox - Locked Out of Heaven
Bruno Mars - Unorthodox Jukebox - Treasure
Fracus & Darwin - Filth and Dumb Hatred - Crazy for Your Love
Jean-Luc Ponty - Aurora - Aurora Pt.1 [png]
Steely Dan - Aja - Aja (drum hits)
Tomosuke - marble - Nyandafuru 55

Melodic Transcriptions
Daft Punk - Random Access Memory - Get Lucky
Shoichiro Hirata - DDRMAX - Groove (WAV file)

Bass Transcriptons
Queen - The Game - Another One Bites the Dust
Queen - The Game - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Queen - Hot Space - Under Pressure

Music Lead Sheets
Art Blakey - Indestructible - Sortie (Big Band Version)
Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Delilah
Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Daahoud
Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Jordu
Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Clifford Brown & Max Roach - The Blues Walk
Dave Brubeck - Time Out - Three to Get Ready
Jean-Luc Ponty - Aurora - Aurora Part 1 (WAV file)
Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean - Mirage (WAV file)
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger - Don't Let the World Pass You By (WAV file)
Joe Henderson - Page One - Recorda Me
Koji Kondo - Super Mario Bros. 2 - Overworld (WAV file)
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 6 - Dancing Mad (Final Act) (WAV file)
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 8 - Force Your Way
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 8 - Never Look Back (WAV file)
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 8 - The Man with the Machine Gun (WAV file)
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 8 - Shuffle or Boogie (WAV file)
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 8 - Under Her Control (WAV file)
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 8 - The Castle
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 8 - The Extreme
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 10 - Normal Battle (C#mi version) (WAV file)
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 10 - Brass de Chocobo (WAV file)
Ray Bryant - Meet Betty Carter and Ray Bryant - Sneakin' Around (WAV file)
Sergei Mantis - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Sea Breeze (WAV file)
Tomosuke - Beatmania IIDX 8th Style - Love is Orange (WAV file)

Scores
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach - On Melancholy Hill (Ogg file)
Mr. T - Beatmania IIDX 6th Style - fly through the night (Ogg file)

Miscellaneous
Drum Patterns
Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez - El Negro Groove

Transcriptions are self-explanatory. They're note for note transcription of what I'm able to hear.
Lead Sheets are the melodies that need to be played on the bass drum with your right foot. Everything else is up to the player.
Big Band Lead Sheets require you to set up the hits. Hits are noted above the staff.

Melodic transcriptions take more time, so I won't be working on them as often as the drum transcriptions

March 29, 2015 Update
Uploaded "Dancing Mad," by Nobuo Uematsu
The lead sheet that I typed it from is from a piano arrangement of the song. I didn't realize that it didn't transcribe the proper bass line in sections K-M, so I went back and fixed it. I also uploaded a better WAV file of the lead sheet to listen to. Also uploaded is the drum transcription. I had difficulty in transcribing it until I came across this youtube channel that had an audio track with isolated bass/drums. Hooray for youtube!

March 22, 2015 Update
Uploaded "Love is Orange," by Tomosuke
The version being uploaded is the main melody in AABA format. I'm still in the process of typing up the ending for the piece and the lyrics on a different pdf file.

November 25, 2014 Update
Uploaded "The Man with the Machine Gun," and "The Castle," by Nobuo Uematsu.
I forgot these two when I uploaded the previous batch. oopsie
And I forgot about "Normal Battle," from Final Fantasy 10. The sheet music for this song is in D minor, but the song in the game is peformed in C# minor. And the bass line in the original sheet music is a little wonky, so I fixed it up and transposed it into the same key as originally played. As you may notice, it was typed in D minor because of the double sharps that would appear if played in C# minor.

November 17, 2014 Update
Uploaded drum transcription for "The Extreme," by Nobuo Uematsu; uploaded lead sheets for "Dancing Mad," "Never Look Back," "Shuffle or Boogie," "Under Her Control," "The Extreme," and "Brass de Chocobo," by Nobuo Uematsu; uploaded lead sheet for "Sea Breeze," by Sergei Mantis.
I came across a website that has piano sheet music for final fantasy songs so I decided to retype them into PDF format. I figure that a PDF file is better than a scan in gif format. I typed up a few songs that I feel would work best in a small band. For the longer songs, like "The Extreme," I plan on cutting out sections for performances to keep the song tight and lively as possible. "Dancing Mad," only covers the last act of the boss battle. As reference, here's a link to a youtube video of the whole piece. The prog section start at 11:25. "Sea Breeze," is a song that can be heard through the codec in Metal Gear Solid 3 to replenish your Health and Stamina. It's a very nice bossa interpretation of the Metal Gear Solid theme song. The drum transcription for "The Extreme," was done years before I found the sheet music for the song itself. This explains the lack of rehearsal marks and odd sections. I'll have a version with rehearsal marks and proper divisions by the next update. Before I forget, I got the Final Fantasy sheet music from fantasysquare.com

October 19, 2014 Update
Uploaded Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez' groove.
This is a groove pattern that he uses in a lot of his performances. I came across it when I was searching for some of his patterns online. This was transcribed by Juan "Carlito" Mendoza. I retyped it so that the legend appears at the top of the paper instead of at the bottom.

I've been slugging through some Tomosuke tunes. They melody and bass line are complete, but chords are hard. I'm contemplating on just uploading what I have for posterity.

October 3, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Don't Let the World Pass You By," by Jean-Luc Ponty
The easiest part of this song are the chords: Fmi9 → Dmi9, repeat. The hardest part of the song are the arpeggiated runs during the second interlude. If you decide to use my midi file or the song itself to follow along with the lead sheet, the first solo repeats the section 10 times, and the second solo repeats the section 11 times.

October 1, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Mirage," by Jean-Luc Ponty.
I bought a composition book of Jean-Luc Ponty so that I can play his tunes with other people. However, it's cumbersome to carry one book for multiple people so I tried scanning the book for tablet use. It didn't work out as I thought it would so I decided to type out one of his songs into musescore to see if it would be a better approach. It works better for me as I can generate a MIDI file to go along with the sheet music. The solo sections are repeated until the soloist doesn't feel like soloing anymore. For the MIDI file, I set it to 7 repeats to match the amount that's used in the studio recording of the song. "Mirage," is also one of Ponty's best known pieces, so hey, there you go. Despite the notes saying to play a constinato, the bass varies the pattern during the Am/Em section, which is why a pattern wasn't written down.

September 21, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Sortie," by Art Blakey, "Daahoud," & "The Blues Walk," by Clifford Brown & Max Roach, "Aurora Pt. 1," by Jean-Luc Ponty, "Recorda Me," by Joe Henderson and "Overworld," by Koji Kondo.
All of the leadsheets uploaded are for C Instruments. I also included a big band lead sheet for "Sortie," as the book that has the song only shows the melody for one instrument. "Aurora Pt.1," is missing the chords for the second half of the song. "Recorda Me," was retyped to include the comping rhythms when playing the melody in the beginning and end so I thought it was worth pointing out. I retyped "Overworld," from a pdf file I found online. The source of the original file is NinSheetMusic and was transcribed by The Deku Trombonist. I wanted to set it up so that it can be played as a band so I split up the lines into two voices and gave the song a proper ending. In double-checking his transcription, I found a few errors - wrong notes and mismatching accidentals - so I went in and fixed them up. However, the file I uploaded doesn't have all the accidentals fleshed out.

September 13, 2014 Update
Uploaded "IOU," by Metric and "Back Chat," by Queen
The transcription for "Back Chat," starts around the verse that leads into the five measure drum solo. The majority of the song is straightforward so I didn't bother to transcribe the rest of the song. There are two drum tracks going through the solo: one drum track that focuses on the hi-hat, and the other drum track being the tom solo. I incorporated the two tracks as one drum track as best as possible. "IOU," is an interesting song as it tries to make the tempo ambiguous. The snare displacement that occurs in the beginning also helps in distorting the sense of time.

August 30, 2014 Update
Uploaded random drum patterns.
I've been stuck in jury duty for the better part of August so I took the opportunity of typing up drum patterns that I've doodled on for the past few years. I found a need to type them out because I had one pattern on an entire sheet of paper and it was starting to take up too much space in my drum folders. One pattern worth pointing out is the mambo pattern that can be heard in "Nyandafuru '55," by Tomosuke.

June 8, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Crazy for Your Love," by Fracus & Darwin and "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant," by Billy Joel.
"Crazy for Your Love," is a lead sheet as its a pretty simple song. The tricky part is during the break and the bridge as it incorporates a drum n bass pattern with band hits. "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant," is about 100bpm at its fastest point. With the drumming and piano comping, I've always though it to be faster. It's another song with interesting band hits before the fifth verse.

May 25, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Three to Get Ready," by Dave Brubeck, "Delilah," and "Jordu," by Clifford Brown & Max Roach
These are some songs I've retyped from jazz fake books for easier access and easier reading. They are for C Instruments.

May 18, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Show Me How to Live," by Audioslave and "Delilah," as performed by Clifford Brown & Max Roach
I have issues playing slow rock songs so I transcribed an Audioslave tune to get ideas. I find the comping during the solo section to be really tricky as the section plays all over the drum kit. I also enjoy the fake snare roll that Brad Wilk plays in the bridge. "Delilah," is written by Victor Young for the movie of the same name. Clifford Brown rearranged the suite into a 32-measure tune in AABA format for jazz playing. The section I transcribed is the trading four sequence that occurs in the middle of the song. I'll eventually get around to transcribing Max Roach's solo. Here's a link to the original suite and the link to the wikipedia page of the 1949 film.

May 15, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Another One Bites the Dust," "Crazy Little Thing Called Love," and "Under Pressure," by Queen
I decided to retype the sheet I've had of Queen's bass guitar transcription and make them more presentable. The sheet music only shows the bass guitar part with chords for the guitar players. "Another One Bites the Dust," doesn't have many guitar parts so the chords in parenthesis simply means that that's the tonal range that can be heard between the bass and the lyrics. "Under Pressure," has a prominent use of two chords with a forward slash in between them. This means that the chord on the left side is being played over what the bass guitar is playing, which is indicated by the chord on the right. It's simpler to understand if you just look at it than going on my explanation alone.

May 07, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Locked Out of Heaven," by Bruno Mars
Repeat signs are everywhere with this one. I used as many repeat signs are barlines as I could to keep into as few pages as possible. Verses and Choruses are 16 measures long while the other sections of the song are 8 measures long. As with "Treasure," there is no credit to the drummer on this track.

May 03, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Auf Achse," by Franz Ferdinand
"Auf Achse," is a non-single from Franz Ferdinand's debut. In my opinion, it's their best song from the album. I spent an entire saturday working out the parts of the song to figure the key signature and chord progression, only to realize that it's already on the internet. Because of that, the score I've been working on will be delayed. The drum part is pretty easy to play. It is comprised of disco beat variations. The only tricky part of the song is the last eight measures where Paul Thomson comps with a crosstick while maintaining a disco pattern.

April 19, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Treasure," by Bruno Mars
"Treasure," is a very simple song, so I typed up a lead sheet for it. Wikipedia states that three drummers worked on the album, but it doesn't specify who played drums for "Treasure."

April 3, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Lasso," by Phoenix
This song has an interesting tom pattern at the beginning that masks the time signature. The singer of the group, Thomas Mars, was the one that wrote the drum parts, as the band line-up doesn't have a drummer. As such, Thomas wound up layering the drum tracks to create what's heard on the tune. Rather than retype the same part over and over, I used that layering as an opportunity to feature the different parts.

February 18, 2014 Update
Uploaded "fly through the night," by Mr.T
I thought I had already uploaded this song. oopsie! What has been uploaded is a literal transcription of the entire song and its parts. The only thing missing from the score are the chords. I'll try to have them down by the next update.

February 4, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Crash-Pad Driver," by Poni Hoax
Hey, something that's not an Elton John tune or Jean-Luc Ponty :1 As a drummer it's not ideal to comp on the toms because they don't project over the band as supposed to the snare that does. Because of that, I found this song very interesting in how it handles the toms. Vincent just hammers down on the toms to make sure they're heard. It also creates a nice groove, keeping it different at each chorus.

February 1, 2014 Update
Re-uploaded "All the Young Girls Love Alice," by Elton John and "Aqualung," by Jethro Tull
"All the Young Girls Love Alice," has been completed. It's implying a swing feel to it with the pattern of dotted eighth note followed by a sixteenth note. One of the simpler drum parts to the album. I have gone ahead and redid did the "Aqualung" drum chart using the Rock Band 3 Pro Drum chart as a base. I ran it through "Transcribe!" to check the trickier parts of the song. In comparing my final product to the game chart, I saw that Harmonix was iffy on charting ghost notes. They charted them in this song, but ignored them completely in "Rosanna," by Toto.

January 24, 2014 Update
Uploaded "All the Young Girls Love Alice," by Elton John
all the young girls love alice / tender young alice, they say
come over and see me / come over and please me / alice it's my turn today
all the young girls love alice / tender young alice they say
if I give you my number / will you promise to call me / wait until my husband's away

January 14, 2014 Update
Re-uploaded "The Art of Happiness," by Jean-Luc Ponty
I retyped up what I had written years ago into a PDF file. I also went back and added the accents on the hi-hat that I never bothered to do in the rest of the song.

January 9, 2014 Update
Uploaded "Heart of the Sunrise," by Yes.
The majority of the transcription was transferred from the Rock Band 3 Pro Chart. I double-checked it through "Transcribe!" to check for spots that the game may have overlooked. The only thing that I probably oversaw was the hi-hat pedal when Bill is doing fills. It isn't necessary for the transcription as most drummers will keep time on the hi-hat instinctively. Should I ever decide to transcribe the rest of the song, I'll be sure to add them where applicable.

December 22, 2013 Update
Uploaded "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting," by Elton John and "Pokémon Theme," by John Siegler/John Loeffler.
The Elton John was based on the Rock Band 3 chart. I decided to compare it to the actual album file and came across a bunch of errors and parts that were absent. I touched it up and kept the last 16 or so measures from the Rock Band chart since the album song fades out before it gets to that part.
The Pokémon Theme is incomplete. I uploaded what I have so far since the drum machine loops after the chorus.

December 10, 2013 Update
Uploaded "Mystical Adventures Suite Part 3," by Jean-Luc Ponty, "Symphony of Destruction," by Megadeth, and "Brass de Chocobo," by Nobuo Uematsu.
The transcription for Symphony of Destruction is pretty simple as it only covers the verse that leads to the chorus and the chorus itself. It's a pretty simple song and there aren't any interesting parts in the drum track worth transcribing. Brass de Chocobo has an interesting take on the Kansas(?) jazz-pattern style. Instead of the common ride pattern on beats two and four, the sequence does the pattern on beats one and three on the hi-hat. Mystical Adventures Part 3 is in 6/8 time and 4/4 time. There's no other way to explain so I'll link a video. Unfortunately, the studio version isn't up on youtube, but a rare live performance of the song is available for viewing and it's performed slightly faster. Here's the link.

November 6, 2013 Update
Uploaded "Aja," by Steely Dan.
The version I'm uploading is just the band hits for the drums. All hits are on cymbals and are usually noted with quarter notes or half notes. There's a mixture of quarter notes and eighth notes because I typed it up in a rush as I had the hits written into the actual drum transcription. Speaking of which, All that's really left for the note-for-note transcription is the fills, which will take some time. No progress on melodic transcriptions. Too focused on my drumming to work on those.

October 14, 2013 Update
Uploaded "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding," by Elton John
I wasn't happy with my half-assed attempt at playing along to this song. I also wanted to practice my left foot with the hi-hat patterns on this song so I wound up transcribing the whole song. This one only took me about two weeks to fully flesh out. I also completed a few bass line transcriptions to "MoboMoga," by Tomsuke and "Kind Lady," by Sota Fujimori. "Brazilian Anthem," by Tomosuke is just about done. All that's left with that tune is to touch up the chords and to find a suitable arrangment for the lead sheet.

July 23, 2013 Update
Uploaded Groove by Shoichiro Hirata
I have a few other bemani tunes in the backburner. I started working on nyandafuru55's melody and finishing an arrangment for "EXE," by Mr.T and "5.1.1./5.8.8.," by reo nagumo.
derp, forgot to upload the midi file for groove

July 1, 2013 Update
Nyandafuru55 has been corrected.
I had my leadsheet revised by my drum instructor. I few of the hits were off by an eighth note, and I had to rename the "samba" section to "mambo." I was playing it as a samba and it was wrong. I also went ahead and wrote out the hits past the head of the song. I marked the files as png or pdf. I plan on replacing the images with pdf files in the future.

June 3, 2013 Update
"Get Lucky," by Daft Punk is complete.
"Nyandafuru55," by Tomosuke is complete.
Uploaded a score for "On Melancholy Hill," by Gorillaz. The guitar part is that wailing on the synthesizer. This score was used for a recording project and since we didn't have a synthesizer with pitch bends, I opted for a guitar that hits the peak notes. An ogg file of the score is also available

Post #2 · Posted at 2013-12-23 06:35:26am 10.3 years ago

Offline Oni-91
Oni-91 Avatar Moderator+
13,492 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2006-10-20

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-3445-5569-17913DS Friend Code: 008736577880
"Ambivalent Viennetta"
Which transcription software are you using, Sibellius?
ZIv Mod Squad: "I'm a trash panda now, don't worry about it"
Can you make music? ZENIUS -I- MANIA 2023 NEEDS YOU
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvT2ARPaQAAxRVX.jpg:large

Post #3 · Posted at 2015-03-29 11:13:34pm 9 years ago

Offline silenttype01
silenttype01 Avatar Member+
8,023 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-01-19

"DINGDONG♥HEARTS"

Last updated: 2015-03-29 11:13pm
The software that I use for transcriptions is named "Transcribe!" It is worth the $40 dollars. You can use a guitar pedal to navigate through the software instead of using the mouse and keyboard if you're practicing on a two-handed instrument.

The software that I use for typing out sheet music is named "MuseScore." My only complaint that I have with this program is that the drum notation is not flexible at all. But to be fair, drum notation in Sibellius/Finale/etc is just as bad.

March 29, 2015 Update
Uploaded "Dancing Mad," by Nobuo Uematsu
The lead sheet that I typed it from is from a piano arrangement of the song. I didn't realize that it didn't transcribe the proper bass line in sections K-M, so I went back and fixed it. I also uploaded a better WAV file of the lead sheet to listen to. Also uploaded is the drum transcription. I had difficulty in transcribing it until I came across this youtube channel that had an audio track with isolated bass/drums. Hooray for youtube!

Post #4 · Posted at 2023-09-30 10:43:34pm 6.7 months ago

Offline cds
cds Avatar Member
1 Post
France
Reg. 2023-09-30

Thank you for the 3 Jean-Luc Ponty drum transcriptions
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 5% · Database: 8% · Server Time: 2024-04-19 03:12:08
This page took 0.004 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language