Interesting Little Things In Beatmania

Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2012-06-04 01:45:53am 11.7 years ago

Offline TsukiyoX
TsukiyoX Avatar Member
411 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-02-15

There's a thread on this, but for DDR. I thought it'd be nice to point out interesting things about beatmania, since there's so many.

I'll start it off (not in order):

1) The shiny GREATS has two names: Just Greats and Perfect Greats. You can see it called Just Greats in Training and Drill mode, and Perfect Greats because when you activate where you can see what judgement you hit, you see 'PGreat" at the top.

2) R5 is the first 11

And some things I'm not sure is correct:

1) The original beatmania was intended to play one handed on the keys.

2)Up until beatmania IIDX 13 DistorteD, Lisu was the best player.

3) V is the first 12

Post #2 · Posted at 2012-06-04 06:27:16am 11.7 years ago

Offline Silver Spirit
Silver Spirit Avatar Member
6,578 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-09-14

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2249-7707-55923DS Friend Code: 2578-3309-2697
"i was born at a very young age"

Last updated: 2012-06-04 06:29am
Quote: TsukiyoX
And some things I'm not sure is correct:
3) V is the first 12
This is correct.

-beatmania US/EU is the only installation of the series to rate difficulties out of 10. A 10 there is equivalent to a modern-day 12 (Colors, Holic, V).
-Speaking of BMUS, it has more songs in 5-key mode than 7-key.
-Also, Just Great is renamed to Perfect in BMUS.

Post #3 · Posted at 2012-06-04 06:34:09am 11.7 years ago

Offline Oni-91
Oni-91 Avatar Moderator+
13,488 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2006-10-20

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-3445-5569-17913DS Friend Code: 008736577880
"Ambivalent Viennetta"
beatmania EU did it to 6. Because it was based on Gottamix way back when.
ZIv Mod Squad: "I'm a trash panda now, don't worry about it"
Can you make music? ZENIUS -I- MANIA 2023 NEEDS YOU
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvT2ARPaQAAxRVX.jpg:large

Post #4 · Posted at 2012-06-04 07:17:37am 11.7 years ago

Offline Maestro Grithok S
Maestro Grithok S Avatar Member
721 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-08-22

Quote: Silver Spirit
-beatmania US/EU is the only installation of the series to rate difficulties out of 10. A 10 there is equivalent to a modern-day 12 (Colors, Holic, V).
Holic is an 11 on ANOTHER, so it might be better to say that a 10 on BMUS is more like a high-end 11 to 12.

Post #5 · Posted at 2012-06-04 10:36:25am 11.7 years ago

Offline TsukiyoX
TsukiyoX Avatar Member
411 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-02-15

Great! I got more:

Konami attempted to release beatmania THREE times. One called HipHopMania back in 1998, BMUS, and a location test for beatmania IIDX 14 GOLD. Apparently, all attempts fail, despite GOLD receiving praise from the players.

Post #6 · Posted at 2012-06-04 10:51:50am 11.7 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,469 Posts
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

Nintendo Network ID: KKiONI3DS Friend Code: 2320-6631-1671
"BEEJAY REVEL A"
Great! I got more:

Konami attempted to release beatmania THREE times. One called HipHopMania back in 1998, BMUS, and a location test for beatmania IIDX 14 GOLD. Apparently, all attempts fail, despite GOLD receiving praise from the players.
There are also texture files in DJ Troopers that hint they were going to make another attempt for this style too.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/KKiONI/English.png
As far as I know, these were the only leftover textures, probably meaning the initiative didn't do too far.

Post #7 · Posted at 2012-06-04 12:01:06pm 11.7 years ago

Offline OrangeRight
OrangeRight Avatar Member
426 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-07-04

Nintendo Network ID: OrangeRightNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1170-8046-88273DS Friend Code: 1934-0734-5304Game Center Nickname: OrangeRight
"It's a rectangular cuboid!"

Last updated: 2012-06-04 12:03pm
There were three hiphopmania releases.

I don't know if hiphopmania 1st mix had a full scale release or just a location test, but a flyer and marquee (fourth picture) exists for it.

hiphopmania Complete Mix removed 7 songs from the original Japanese release, but was otherwise faithful to the original outside of language and name. It was at least successful enough to not only get Complete Mix 2 localized, but to get two officially backed tournaments in the US.

hiphopmania Complete Mix 2 forced a more forgiving Expert bar on all modes, presumably to make it more like DDR. It also removed 10 songs, all of them licenses. It apparently wasn't successful enough to save Konami's American arcade division from closing down.
http://imgur.com/iYNhpam.png
Thanks, Lord Toon! - My Simfiles *last updated 1/14/18*

Post #8 · Posted at 2012-06-04 12:17:21pm 11.7 years ago

Offline hyper kitten
hyper kitten Avatar Member
1,020 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-04-22

Micheal Jackson actually had a hiphopmania 2 cabinet.

This means that there's a possibility that he played DRUNK MONKY at some point.
http://bpjlwa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7U_VT8SqJPX3Lm8PUE2AccDpTtFoxO5nk2Y-M_iGc7FBi08mWX63FFLGIs9nQu75vQdjlXRn68JVjwdqq-7fQhvTSTKlKipb/hyperkitten.png

Plant the SEED, gain the FLOWER.

Post #9 · Posted at 2012-06-04 01:13:30pm 11.7 years ago

Offline tsugaru7reveng
tsugaru7reveng Avatar Member+
1,430 Posts
Canada
Reg. 2006-06-02

Last updated: 2012-06-04 01:14pm
Mermaid girl had entirely different lyrics in the location test version of Resort Anthem. The lyrics aren't present in any of the long versions. Plus the artist was labeled as CREAM PUFF instead of Cream puff.

No clear version is present so here's a location test recording.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?r9vnyx5lavd9e91

Post #10 · Posted at 2012-06-04 01:41:56pm 11.7 years ago

Offline NXCProduction
NXCProduction Avatar Member
1,770 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2011-03-01

"Annoyed"
in B4U (BEMANI FOR YOU REMIX), if you do scratch after the last note in either Hyper or Another (don't know in Normal), you'll hear Michael a la mode saying "Jubeat" just like in EMPRESS OST.
Simfile on progress! 2nd Generation: beat#0 | beat#1 | beat#2 | beat#3 |
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/User%20Names/NXCProduction.png
thanks a lot Lord Toon! Very Happy

Post #11 · Posted at 2012-06-04 01:56:49pm 11.7 years ago

Offline TheSirius17
TheSirius17 Avatar Member
1,127 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2010-05-23

"Keep the frequency clear."
Similar goes for Soumatou -The Last Song-. Scratch the disc after the last note and a gun firing sound can be produced.
I'm a DDR player, but never make a AAA.
No, I'm not a IIDX player, but I'm a BMS player.
No, I'm not pnm player, and I haven't play pnm simulator yet.

Post #12 · Posted at 2012-06-05 01:19:12pm 11.7 years ago

Offline Willards KA PA
Willards KA PA Avatar Banned
444 Posts
Saint Lucia
Reg. 2011-10-01

What does the announcer in bm 6thMIX really say when you select a song? It can't really be "stupid now"
I don't play simulators. Only the real official games.

Post #13 · Posted at 2012-06-05 01:27:46pm 11.7 years ago

Offline TheSirius17
TheSirius17 Avatar Member
1,127 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2010-05-23

"Keep the frequency clear."
reunion [A] chart has distinct patterns taken from Tatsh's songs that is for IIDX. Example is the X pattern found on Xepher that can be found right on the beginning and near the chorus. Also, 7 keys and 1 scratch pressed together from The Dirty of Loudness can be found at the end of the song.
I'm a DDR player, but never make a AAA.
No, I'm not a IIDX player, but I'm a BMS player.
No, I'm not pnm player, and I haven't play pnm simulator yet.

Post #14 · Posted at 2012-06-05 02:26:28pm 11.7 years ago

Offline NEMESetup
NEMESetup Avatar Member
2,026 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-12-30

"Gimme a mothaf----n' break!"

Last updated: 2012-06-05 02:51pm
Quote: Willards KA PA
What does the announcer in bm 6thMIX really say when you select a song? It can't really be "stupid now"

I want to know this as well. For a while, I was thinking that the announcer was supposed to be saying something like "Let's do it now!" and it came out sounding like "Stupid now!", but I'm probably wrong.

Also, while GAMBOL's ANOTHER chart in IIDX RED CS may have very, very few notes in its chart (compared to ANOTHER charts today), its timing technically makes it the hardest chart in the entire series, since failure is guaranteed. However, it can also be viewed as the only chart to also guarantee the player a perfect score of 200,000 because of only getting a JUST GREAT or BAD, but of course, that must mean that one's timing on hitting the keys is absolutely precise in order to get JUST GREATS.

The song selection in the very first beatmania game actually only consisted of 3 people (need clarification on that, though, because I may be wrong).

Scripted Connection⇒long mix to date has the most amount of notes (4,459).

To date, beatmaniaIIDX substream and SIRIUS are the only IIDX installments to not introduce a song into the series with the word "LOVE" in the title.

Post #15 · Posted at 2012-06-05 03:01:34pm 11.7 years ago

Offline TsukiyoX
TsukiyoX Avatar Member
411 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-02-15

Last updated: 2012-06-05 03:01pm
Love it. All of these are greats and I kept forgetting about the B4U (BEMANI FOR YOU REMIX) and Soumatou -The Last Song- easter eggs. I wonder if there is more. It's passive and not intended but:

With We are Disっ娘よっつ打ち命, you can still make the sounds of the girls.

That's it lol.

Some more knowledge:

1) beatmania IIDX 3rd style was the first beatmania game for the PS2, and it has all the songs from the first style, Substream and 2nd Style.

2) beatmania IIDX had gone through 4 different rating scales, not including BMUS 10 level rating scale. From 1st to 4th Style, the scale goes from 1 to 5, with "flashing 5s". From 5th Style to 9th Style, scale goes from 1 to 7, with flashing 7s as well. IIDX RED was the only one with the scale from 1 to 8, and 8+. And from 12 Happy Sky to the current release, 1 to 12.

3) beatmania IIDX 20 tricoro will be the first beatmania to have actual BPM multipliers

I still want to know if 1 and 2 on my first post for the ones I'm not sure of is true. Also:

1) Who was the first person to pass Mei and how long did it take for that to happen?

Quote: NEMESetup

Also, while GAMBOL's ANOTHER chart in IIDX RED CS may have very, very few notes in its chart (compared to ANOTHER charts today), its timing technically makes it the hardest chart in the entire series, since failure is guaranteed. However, it can also be viewed as the only chart to also guarantee the player a perfect score of 200,000 because of only getting a JUST GREAT or BAD, but of course, that must mean that one's timing on hitting the keys is absolutely precise in order to get JUST GREATS.

1) This is one of the many confirmations that Konami are a**holes

2) GAMBOL, out of a few other songs, has purposely not been fixed with the timing, creating a meme that caused Konami to make the Slake course in IIDX RED CS on Another the hardest course to pass.

And would it had been a 10 or an 11 if GAMBOL [A] made an arcade appearance now? lol

Post #16 · Posted at 2012-06-05 03:01:50pm 11.7 years ago

Offline Kon
Kon Avatar Member
1,288 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-02

"OMG KON!"
Quote: KKiONI
Great! I got more:

There are also texture files in DJ Troopers that hint they were going to make another attempt for this style too.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/KKiONI/English.png
As far as I know, these were the only leftover textures, probably meaning the initiative didn't do too far.
There was a very limited release of hiphopmania and hiphopmania complete mix 1 and 2 both saw larger releases, but the American arcade industry didn't seem to pick up too well on it.

As for the location test info, there is actually a REALLY long story behind the IIDX American release. To sum it all up, Brunswick Zone was going to be purchasing a large quantity of games and have e-amuse support at many of the Brunswick Zone arcades. Naperville, was just the start. It got full e-amuse setup for all location tests (minus IIDX) with plans to purchase all four tested cabinets (SuperNOVA 2, IIDX GOLD, GfdmV4). Long story short it just didn't happen. Other locations were also starting to be setup for e-amuse, but when Brunswick Zone ended up not going to order the games, Konami backed off the plans indefinitely. Ryan, who was in charge of the location tests, got promoted and whoever took over his position decided it wasn't a great idea.

As far as I am aware SuperNOVA 2 was distributed in very limited quantities to Brunswick Zone locations, and although Konami tried to offer e-amuse, no one ended up being a buyer when it was offered for DDR X. So that is why there is no IIDX in America. The one huge buyer disappeared after a successful location test.

During this time we saw a wider selection of music on GFdm... I am not sure if it had to do with the upcoming release to the American market, however one has to wonder when there was quite a few American songs on both V4 and V5 (September, Fat Lip, Paranoid, The Sound Of Truth, etc.)

Here's one for you: On beatmania 5th Mix during the attract loop "Can of Ass Kicks" is played during the how to play screen. It is not actually playable in the game however.

Post #17 · Posted at 2012-06-05 03:10:42pm 11.7 years ago

Offline TsukiyoX
TsukiyoX Avatar Member
411 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-02-15

Quote: Kon

Ryan, who was in charge of the location tests, got promoted and whoever took over his position decided it wasn't a great idea.

So basically, if it wasn't for him being promoted, or the one who took over not being a jackass, beatmania would be everywhere AND we'd get American CS releases. Nice.

During this time we saw a wider selection of music on GFdm... I am not sure if it had to do with the upcoming release to the American market, however one has to wonder when there was quite a few American songs on both V4 and V5 (September, Fat Lip, Paranoid, The Sound Of Truth, etc.)

This reminded me of a GFDM release with a stereotypical "American" kid's face on it. I don't remember which release but it has Through the fires and flames on it.

And interesting note about the 5th Style attract loop. False advertising? lol

Post #18 · Posted at 2012-06-05 03:17:19pm 11.7 years ago

Offline NEMESetup
NEMESetup Avatar Member
2,026 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-12-30

Correct me if I'm wrong, but beatmaniaIIDX is so far the only BEMANI series where its console debut did not start out with the same installment as its arcade debut (AC debut: beatmaniaIIDX; CS debut: beatmaniaIIDX 3rd Style).

Post #19 · Posted at 2012-06-05 03:36:22pm 11.7 years ago

Offline Kon
Kon Avatar Member
1,288 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-02

"OMG KON!"

Ryan, who was in charge of the location tests, got promoted and whoever took over his position decided it wasn't a great idea.

So basically, if it wasn't for him being promoted, or the one who took over not being a jackass, beatmania would be everywhere AND we'd get American CS releases. Nice.

This reminded me of a GFDM release with a stereotypical "American" kid's face on it. I don't remember which release but it has Through the fires and flames on it.

And interesting note about the 5th Style attract loop. False advertising? lol

Your talking about V6 BLAZING!!!! And I have no clue about why Can of Ass Kicks in actually not playable. Its on the soundtrack as well, just not available at all on the song wheel.

Post #20 · Posted at 2012-06-05 03:41:01pm 11.7 years ago

Offline NEMESetup
NEMESetup Avatar Member
2,026 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-12-30

I found out that I am wrong. The original beatmania was the same way. While the first CS beatmania game was simply labelled "beatmania" on the cover, it was actually a port of beatmania 2ndMIX, which probably explains why there is a picture of the 2ndMIX cabinet behind the title.

Also, when you include original Japanese arcade releases, Korean Arcade versions, American Arcade versions, and all kinds of consumer product releases, the beatmania series (5KEY, IIDX, and III) in its entirety has seen about 102 releases in a span of 15 years.
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 2% · Database: 8% · Server Time: 2024-03-19 09:54:58
This page took 0.015 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language