Thread Locked Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2011-08-18 06:43:17pm 12.6 years ago

Offline DancingNinja
DancingNinja Avatar Member
110 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2007-08-25

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/level-students-face-scramble-uni-places-031406166.html
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/what-you-can-do-if-you-don’t-get-the-a-level-grades-you-hoped-for.html

Couple of articles to get the ball rolling, but what do you think? Is a degree > experience? If so, would the fees deter you from going? This is mainly aimed at UK peeps, but feel free to join in nonetheless. Smile Just thought I mention this since it's Results Day.

Post #2 · Posted at 2011-08-18 07:58:27pm 12.6 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
The future only surprises those who aren't ready for it.
Luck favors the prepared.

I cannot pick over the two, but if things are quite bad, I'd have to say experience, as it is experience that one would be opened new doors for jobs and stuff.

There are many top of the class people who haven't worked a day in their lives and even though they have a perfect GPA, they cannot find jobs that people intern for years could get.

Post #3 · Posted at 2011-08-18 09:32:52pm 12.6 years ago

Offline DancingNinja
DancingNinja Avatar Member
110 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2007-08-25

True, but remember we can't see the future, so preparing for it is kinda hard, don't ya think? XD Even if it were possible to prepare for the future efficiently, "there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path", you know something could happen in theory but in practise something totally contradictory could transpire.

Quote: Aegis
but if things are quite bad
Yeah, things are pretty terrible in the UK, even something as trivial as retail can be rather taxing to secure a job in.

Personally I'd go for experience each time (it's quite annoying when a qualified person get a job an experienced hand should've obtained with ease, the qualified person would know sod all about the job). That said, getting experience is astronomically difficult when employers are being elitist cunts and not let you gain said experience by taking you on. Gotta love recessions eh? They tend to make employers tighter than a wrestler's spandex regarding finances and so you'd have to be the cream of the crop to even stand a chance lol.

I can see the case for uni (perks aside it's nice to have something to add to your CV to give you the edge over competitors) but it shouldn't be forced by parents/employers, it's something you should decide on for yourself. Don't take it lightly though, as horribly expensive as it is, it's a necessity for competitive areas like medicine. (Y)

Post #4 · Posted at 2011-08-18 10:29:03pm 12.6 years ago

Offline eataninja
eataninja Avatar Member
810 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-05-05

You see, this doesn't work for the U.S., because almost all white collar jobs require a college degree, and it gives you an edge in many blue collar jobs. So university is worth it in the sense that it's almost required of anyone who wants to make something of themselves.

Post #5 · Posted at 2011-08-18 11:15:31pm 12.6 years ago

Offline -Viper-
-Viper- Avatar Member+
2,407 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-26

3DS Friend Code: 1091-8797-8693
A degree is most certainly more valuable than experience if nothing else is considered. The question many are asking is if a degree is still worth the investment after the amount of student loans you may have to take out and possibly the debt it could put you in.

I would say, yes a degree is worth it since many companies now see a bachelors degree as the new high school diploma. They won't take someone if they don't have it.

Post #6 · Posted at 2011-08-18 11:40:39pm 12.6 years ago

Offline The Mirror Of UM2
The Mirror Of UM2 Avatar Member
283 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-08-05

"Protecting The Emeralds And Gems"
These days, College is of the upmost importance when it comes to getting a job in this economic climate. Companies want people who are smart and will know what to do to make their business the most successful. A college degree goes a LONG way nowadays as far as being a factor in the working class. Yes, there will be debt compiled for books and whatnot, but if you take the time and effort to get your degree, you will be able to pay it off and still live comfortable. My answer is Yes.

Post #7 · Posted at 2011-08-18 11:41:37pm 12.6 years ago

Offline Oni-91
Oni-91 Avatar Moderator+
13,492 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2006-10-20

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-3445-5569-17913DS Friend Code: 008736577880
"Ambivalent Viennetta"
Degrees ARE worth something, if you do the right one. That's why the tuition fees skyrocketed: there were more people taking degrees because there are more "pointless" degrees. What exactly are you going to do with a degree on "American History with Media" that you can't do at a lower level? There are too many records of people getting degrees like Sociology and Psychology, and ending up as a secretary/receptionist because the right people aren't employing.
ZIv Mod Squad: "I'm a trash panda now, don't worry about it"
Can you make music? ZENIUS -I- MANIA 2023 NEEDS YOU
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvT2ARPaQAAxRVX.jpg:large

Post #8 · Posted at 2011-08-18 11:47:55pm 12.6 years ago

Offline -Viper-
-Viper- Avatar Member+
2,407 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-26

3DS Friend Code: 1091-8797-8693
Well, I've often heard it said that a large part if it is simply having a degree, even if it isn't specific to the field you want to go in. Even if you get a degree in "Art" it shows that you have a work ethic as opposed to someone who never bothered to go to a university at all.

Post #9 · Posted at 2011-08-18 11:53:16pm 12.6 years ago

Offline RGTM
RGTM Avatar Moderator+
7,202 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-19

Nintendo Network ID: xRGTMxNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-6034-2315-7724Game Center Nickname: xRGTMx
"BBCode Not Allowed"
If you had the money and you have the brains worthy of going into a university, do it.

Me, I do have the brains, but not that much money. That's why I'm going to a technical school for computer programming.
ZIv Mod Squad: "shark jumpscare"
https://i.imgur.com/YdfMaWU.gif

Post #10 · Posted at 2011-08-19 01:55:55am 12.6 years ago

Offline silverdragon754
silverdragon754 Avatar Member+
1,497 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-09-26

Nintendo Network ID: silverdragon754Game Center Nickname: silverdragon754
"Gods Must Be Strong"
Quote: -Viper-
Well, I've often heard it said that a large part if it is simply having a degree, even if it isn't specific to the field you want to go in. Even if you get a degree in "Art" it shows that you have a work ethic as opposed to someone who never bothered to go to a university at all.

That's how it is around here. My degree is Bachelor of Fine Arts and people usually don't give me a 2nd thought until they find out I'm a graphic designer, then they jump at it. However, it looks like I'll have to leave soon because all these places seem to think that since I have a Bachelor's degree, they need to up my pay a whole lot right off the bat so they refuse to hire or let me go. They let me go last week because they said they wanted someone with more experience which is stupid because you gain experience by working. I'm also positive that the other designers had something to do with it because out of all 4 of us, I outranked them in degree; they went to a community college for an Associates in Media Design and I went to a certified University of Texas school for 6 years to get my bachelor's degree in fine arts/graphic design.
http://i.imgur.com/G2Kwxml.png

Post #11 · Posted at 2011-08-19 01:59:00am 12.6 years ago

Offline TsukiyoX
TsukiyoX Avatar Member
411 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-02-15

@silvergragon754 That's not cool of them.

As for me, if you want a job on a educational or medical field, you HAVE to get a degree. In which case, I'm getting mine to become a teacher.

Post #12 · Posted at 2011-08-19 02:15:58am 12.6 years ago

Offline silverdragon754
1,497 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-09-26

"Gods Must Be Strong"
Quote: TsukiyoX
As for me, if you want a job on a educational or medical field, you HAVE to get a degree. In which case, I'm getting mine to become a teacher.

I know for a fact that a degree isn't needed to be a graphic designer, you just need to master the basic design programs, have a decent resume and a strong portfolio but almost every design position I've seen/applied for specifically says to have a degree of design or related field. Several places say "Must have a degree in graphic design or 4 to 5 years of experience in the design industry). Having both a degree, knowledge of the design programs and a portfolio puts you at the top of the pile and gives you a better chance. I'm thinking of just going forward and getting my MFA so I can have my Master's in graphic design and be able to teach it at the university level.

Post #13 · Posted at 2011-08-19 02:16:19am 12.6 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,470 Posts
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

Nintendo Network ID: KKiONI3DS Friend Code: 2320-6631-1671
"BEEJAY REVEL A"
The more I hear seems to only further discourage my post-secondary plans.
Going to University or College is starting to look like a big risk since if you don't have the cash, you need a loan. You may get the degree but that doesn't necessarily grab you a job right away. Then after you will be stuck with a loan to pay off and you better hope you find a job that makes getting that student loan pay off.
Not to mention I have been flip flopping which area I should go into. It's hard finding an area that I will prosper in as well as enjoy.

I'm hoping to take a year or two off after school to work and save some money up to help pay for my education. The only thing I worry greatly about is how much knowledge will I loose in between...

Post #14 · Posted at 2011-08-19 02:25:48am 12.6 years ago

Offline silverdragon754
1,497 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-09-26

"Gods Must Be Strong"
Quote: KKiONI
Going to University or College is starting to look like a big risk since if you don't have the cash, you need a loan. You may get the degree but that doesn't necessarily grab you a job right away. Then after you will be stuck with a loan to pay off and you better hope you find a job that makes getting that student loan pay off.
Not to mention I have been flip flopping which area I should go into. It's hard finding an area that I will prosper in as well as enjoy.

I'm hoping to take a year or two off after school to work and save some money up to help pay for my education. The only thing I worry greatly about is how much knowledge will I loose in between...

Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel that way. I know what you mean though. I'm in debt about $21,000 and this is because my university is supposedly one of the most affordable in the entire country. I always said it's not a true college experience unless you're in debt in some way from it. ^^;

Post #15 · Posted at 2011-08-19 02:55:32am 12.6 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,470 Posts
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

Nintendo Network ID: KKiONI3DS Friend Code: 2320-6631-1671
"BEEJAY REVEL A"
Quote: silverdragon754
Quote: KKiONI

Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel that way. I know what you mean though. I'm in debt about $21,000 and this is because my university is supposedly one of the most affordable in the entire country. I always said it's not a true college experience unless you're in debt in some way from it. ^^;
No worries, I wasn't actually just talking specifically about what you said. I was just referring to things I've heard in general. They make things look grim, but I'm keeping myself optimisticSmile
Actually I'm not as worried as what I'll do after High School as how worried I am about my workload for Grade 12. Chemistry, Physics, Advanced Functions, Calculus, University bound Computer Sciences, University bound English, University bound French, University/College bound ReligionDead This is going to be one annoying year for me
Thread Locked Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 6% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-04-26 09:58:16
This page took 0.014 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language