iDance - Has it been successful?

Thread Locked Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2011-07-04 04:06:07am 12.8 years ago

Offline hellrazor
hellrazor Avatar Member+
586 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-10-27

The multiplayer fitness group exercise game that was marketed to schools and gyms, has it been successful? Are there any gym's around you that offer these classes? Have you attended one? What about the iDance arcade machine, was it ever created?

I've never thought the product was that great personally, but the concept is (from their website):

The members of Positive Gaming, the original creators of the multiplayer dance game concept and software, iDANCE, are thrilled to announce the release of the much anticipated Positive Gaming™ iDANCE2 software!

The release marks the most advanced dance game ever introduced and contains an array of features that make it ideal for creating a fun and engaging environment for players of all ages while also providing cognitive, social and physical development benefits. The system was designed specifically for environments such as fitness centers, schools, YMCAs, park districts and leisure centers.

Many of the features are exclusive to the Positive Gaming™ iDANCE2 Multiplayer System and have never existed in any dance game ever created.

Some of the notable software features include (but are not limited to):
Provides developmental benefits to users (Social, Cognitive & Physical)
Wireless data transmission
Real-time, individual performance feedback
Player tracking capabilities / ability to export data
Upgradable software
Accommodates up to 32-players
Suitable for all ages
No questionable lyrics and graphics
Suitable for all levels of players
Up to three difficulty levels simultaneously
Includes many instructor tools and teaching aids
Over 130 licensed, energizing songs
Advanced 3D powered proprietary software engine (not based on Stepmania)
Crisp, high definition (HD) graphics
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure those "FEATURES" are that great, here are the reasons I never liked their product.
1. PRICE, at $5,000 a pad, 32 pads costs $160,000 (and what about the rest of the setup?)
2. Wireless data transmission - lag which you don't want in a dance game that has timing windows (probably why all their tournaments have been on ITG machines).
3. Real-time feedback? - only if you watch your small corner of the screen instead of your arrows...
4. How Upgradable is the software when it's "NOT STEPMANIA" but instead a propietary software.
5. 32 - players is great, but what if you want 16 - players for a doubles class, no can do since it's singles only...
6. Music censorship, after how you messed up ITG 1 for PS2, NO THANKS.
7. Up to three levels of difficulty for 32 - players, how about 32 levels of difficulty in case someone wants JUMPS off, or no Mines, or to play doubles, or any number of modifiers...
8. Only 130 songs, for a gym class aimed at people of all ages? Because you know they all love Canblaster and Oscillator X right?
9. 3D software? Do you mean 3D arrows? Doesn't StepMania do 3D as well.
10. Not StepMania = Not able to load custom songs and charts...

I'd personally rather have a SMOnline LAN build for a gym class with some foam soft pads.
1. PRICE, about $30 a pad it's not as much of a commitment or insane burden + free software, just need to buy 8 PC's and monitors.
2. Wired pads please.
3. Real-time feedback while watching your own screen and your own arrows, thank you.
4. Fully upgradable due to open source software, and fully customizable, add your own themes, announcer, dancers, etc.
5. 16 players max SMO limited, but can incorporate doubles play.
6. Add your own music and simfiles, make it your own class, choose songs they would like.
7. Up to 16 levels of difficulty since everyone can choose their own modifiers or levels.
8. INFINITE number of songs, thank you.

Post #2 · Posted at 2011-07-04 04:26:21am 12.8 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
eww, soft foam pads? No thanks, hellrazor

Post #3 · Posted at 2011-07-04 04:34:51am 12.8 years ago

Offline Oni-91
Oni-91 Avatar Moderator+
13,492 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2006-10-20

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-3445-5569-17913DS Friend Code: 008736577880
"Ambivalent Viennetta"
Quote: hellrazor
Many of the features are exclusive to the Positive Gaming™ iDANCE2 Multiplayer System and have never existed in any dance game ever created.

Right, because NO OTHER DANCE GAME can be used as pysical development, or can be done socially. Nice research, Positive Gaming.

Also $5,000 for a pad, no matter what kind of pad, is taking the piss.
ZIv Mod Squad: "I'm a trash panda now, don't worry about it"
Can you make music? ZENIUS -I- MANIA 2023 NEEDS YOU
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvT2ARPaQAAxRVX.jpg:large

Post #4 · Posted at 2011-07-04 04:50:03am 12.8 years ago

Offline hellrazor
hellrazor Avatar Member+
586 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-10-27

Quote: Aegis
eww, soft foam pads? No thanks, hellrazor
Just for the cost and portability, I could build metal pads for $100 a piece at cost but then you have to lug them around. If it was a dedicated room, I'd go metal pads with a base and bars, but for most gyms and schools, foam pads would probably be good enough.

16 soft pads - $480, 8 PC's - $800, 8 monitors - $1200, 8 computer stands - $400, free software, use existing sound system, 1 wireless router $70, 8 wireless network adapters $100. Total cost - approx. $3100 for a superior experience.

A better setup could use MiniPC's (maybe even a windows Tablet) and have monitors lined up along the wall (wall mounted), maybe even LARGE screens, when your in the $100,000 price range point you can do ALOT of cool things, maybe even build the pads INTO the floor (no base, just glue the ground plate onto the floor, then add arrows onto that, then add bars right behind the pads in the floor as well for a nearly flush playing surface. I'd create a pimped out StepMania setup if some gym had the $, room, and a desire for it.

Quote: Oni-91
Quote: hellrazor

Right, because NO OTHER DANCE GAME can be used as pysical development, or can be done socially. Nice research, Positive Gaming.

Also $5,000 for a pad, no matter what kind of pad, is taking the piss.
Another thing, how would someone fix synching for individual songs (one of my biggest complaints with ITG games is poor synching) when the software is proprietary?
Yeah, I'm not sure what exclusive features they offer, Dance Praise 2 does wireless multiplayer the same way for up to 10 players (so the 32 player thing is exclusive, I suppose), I don't see any other "exclusive features" except for the training materials, which honestly almost anyone could create. I also heard many complaints about the "feel" and "responsiveness" of their pads.

So, anyone know if this product was successful? What was the total cost for the full setup (surely there's a 'discount' of some sort for a complete purchase)?

Post #5 · Posted at 2011-07-04 07:48:56am 12.8 years ago

Offline 8ftmetalhead
8ftmetalhead Avatar Member
422 Posts
New Zealand
Reg. 2010-08-17

"Oh god what I have dooooone?!"
it works for fitness players. check exergaming australia's fb page or something.
Thread Locked Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 2% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-04-18 12:34:43
This page took 0.006 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language