Logo

Retail pads - Positivegaming, DDRgame, build your own, or you're outta luck.

Register Log In Back To Forums

Post #21 · Posted at 2011-03-31 09:28:51am 12.9 years ago

Offline iNEXSERTiON
iNEXSERTiON Avatar Member+
2,070 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-07-14

Well, I was just trolling with that. Those things suck.
I had to use one once at a party. Sad
I stole DDR X2 CS from the internet; it's my fault the music game genre is dying.

Post #22 · Posted at 2011-03-31 07:09:43pm 12.9 years ago

Offline 8ftmetalhead
8ftmetalhead Avatar Member
422 Posts
New Zealand
Reg. 2010-08-17

"Oh god what I have dooooone?!"
added a bit more. Not much though. But still yeah.

Post #23 · Posted at 2011-04-26 10:49:04am 12.9 years ago

Offline PHN!X
PHN!X Avatar Member
47 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-01-03

Sorry for the sort-of long bump, but I just bought 2 Cobalt Fluxes and I'm having sensitivity problems. They are oversensitive; randomly double or triple hitting. I've tried cleaning the contacts, but that didn't help at all.
Quote: 8ftmetalhead
are apparently prone to sensitivity issues at times due to shoddy wiring, particularly on more recent models. With a few modifications it seems an easy problem to rectify, but one would consider this to not really be necessary at the price point.
Could you or anyone else elaborate on these few modifications? I've heard so many good things about these pads and I don't want to just give up on them.

Post #24 · Posted at 2011-04-26 11:53:22am 12.9 years ago

Offline yindesu
yindesu Avatar Member
782 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-01-02

Quote: PHN!X
Sorry for the sort-of long bump, but I just bought 2 Cobalt Fluxes and I'm having sensitivity problems. They are oversensitive; randomly double or triple hitting. I've tried cleaning the contacts, but that didn't help at all.
are apparently prone to sensitivity issues at times due to shoddy wiring, particularly on more recent models. With a few modifications it seems an easy problem to rectify, but one would consider this to not really be necessary at the price point.
Could you or anyone else elaborate on these few modifications? I've heard so many good things about these pads and I don't want to just give up on them.

Is this why I haven't seen you at Round1? Sad

Are you practicing Double play?

I've given up on new dance pads. Andamiro's new pads are not sensitive enough (stiff cheap made in China plastic panels?), Betson's new sensors die fast, and I haven't heard anything positive about new Cobalt Fluxes (though I must admit, I've disliked CF's since my first play on one at Anime Los Angeles 2010.) You can probably find stuff about fixing the Cobalt Flux on DDRFreak's slow forums, or maybe at http://aaronin.jp/boards/viewforum.php?f=17

Having played on the 3" BlueShark, the Afterburner, and the Cobalt Flux in that order, I must admit that my preference is exactly that order. (that's not saying much though because the Afterburner's plastic cover cracked everywhere lol.)

Post #25 · Posted at 2011-04-26 12:01:44pm 12.9 years ago

Offline PHN!X
PHN!X Avatar Member
47 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-01-03

I haven't been at Round1 because of the fact that they refuse to fix their damn X2 machine, and Technika lines are too long.

I'm actually replacing my old Afterburner with these CF's lol. As i said, I've heard a lot of good things about them, and don't want to send them back without at least trying to get this fixed. But when it doesn't misfire, its MUCH more accurate than my old Afterburner ever was. My FA in ITG increased a lot, and my MA in DDR also was better. I think that if i just fix this misfiring problem, these pads will be absolutely amazing.

Post #26 · Posted at 2011-04-26 12:23:13pm 12.9 years ago

Offline hellrazor
hellrazor Avatar Member+
586 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-10-27

I haven't been at Round1 because of the fact that they refuse to fix their damn X2 machine, and Technika lines are too long.

I'm actually replacing my old Afterburner with these CF's lol. As i said, I've heard a lot of good things about them, and don't want to send them back without at least trying to get this fixed. But when it doesn't misfire, its MUCH more accurate than my old Afterburner ever was. My FA in ITG increased a lot, and my MA in DDR also was better. I think that if i just fix this misfiring problem, these pads will be absolutely amazing.
Assuming the new design still uses sheet metal for the contacts, the mis-firing is most likely due to the bends in the metal (not sure what could be wrong in the wires).

Here's a quick troubleshooting guide, keep going down the list until you get your desired result:
1. Slightly unscrew the panel maybe half a turn or a whole turn, a tiny bit of extra gap may fix your problem.
2. Unscrew the panel.
3. Make sure the panel is bowed outward a LITTLE, check that the sides aren't bent down such that when you step on the metal it will bend down and return without sticking. You'll feel a little bounce if the bend is bad, and if it's too flat then it won't could be making contact even when you don't step on it, you want it at the sweet spot where it's slightly bent up in along one axis in the middle.
4. Check the wires, if there is ANY part where you see copper (or possibly aluminum) [yellow or silver] then there's a problem that you NEED to fix, either remove the velcro and place the wire more securely or use electrical tape and wrap it around any bare wire.
5. Screw it back down but leave a tiny bit, see step 1 again.
6. Enter your Stepmania.ini file and add the timing buffer that doesn't count steps hit twice within a short window (I forget what it's called or the preferred value)

Something there is likely to fix your problem.

Post #27 · Posted at 2011-04-26 12:53:39pm 12.9 years ago

Offline yindesu
yindesu Avatar Member
782 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-01-02

um hellrazor the problem is actually this

and Betson X2 is nothing like Betson X.

Post #28 · Posted at 2011-04-26 01:48:30pm 12.9 years ago

Offline 8ftmetalhead
422 Posts
New Zealand
Reg. 2010-08-17

He was talking about fixing the cobalt fluxes.

But in any case, try here
http://r21freak.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=17688

And also, the velcro that holds the wires to the sheet metal - Peel it off and see what it looks like.
I can't recall the thread's location (bemanistyle i think?) but some dude bought a CF and found the wires under the velcro were really badly stripped and covered in the glue, so he stripped them off a bit more, then stuck them down properly and had no problems afterwards.

And I think the option in stepmania.ini should be something like inputdebouncetime = 0.05 or something

Post #29 · Posted at 2011-04-26 01:50:08pm 12.9 years ago

Offline yindesu
yindesu Avatar Member
782 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-01-02

uh right I'm stupid. I misinterpreted the quote/post.

Post #30 · Posted at 2011-04-26 03:15:20pm 12.9 years ago

Offline 8ftmetalhead
422 Posts
New Zealand
Reg. 2010-08-17

Post #31 · Posted at 2011-04-26 06:25:39pm 12.9 years ago

Offline hellrazor
hellrazor Avatar Member+
586 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-10-27

And also, the velcro that holds the wires to the sheet metal - Peel it off and see what it looks like.
I can't recall the thread's location (bemanistyle i think?) but some dude bought a CF and found the wires under the velcro were really badly stripped and covered in the glue, so he stripped them off a bit more, then stuck them down properly and had no problems afterwards.
Glue? I bought my CF's like 10 years ago, they were version 1.5's, what I didn't like about them was the flimsy sheet metal (higher gauge = better accuracy) and the plastic bag they taped to make a start/select button. Oh and having the wires run under the ground plate makes it a PAIN to replace, having them run UNDER the entire pad would be a better design, but you reverse engineer then improve on their design and enjoy for years to come.

Post #32 · Posted at 2011-04-26 08:15:51pm 12.9 years ago

Offline 8ftmetalhead
422 Posts
New Zealand
Reg. 2010-08-17

well the sticky residue that comes as a result of velcro being low quality.

Post #33 · Posted at 2011-04-27 07:23:14am 12.9 years ago

Offline PHN!X
PHN!X Avatar Member
47 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-01-03

Alright so i just opened one of them up and tried what some of you have said. I changed the inputdebouncetime value in stepmania.ini and checked to see if the arrows were bent.

First off, the arrows were screwed in extremely tight, and the arrows were TERRIBLY bent. I didn't see any wires that were stripped, they all had insulation with no exposed wire visible. I took hellrazor's advice and flexed them straight, then bent them slightly upward, and only screwed them in tight enough to have a steady hold onto the pad. Now i don't have any more problems Big Grin.

TYVM to hellrazor and 8ftmetalhead. Now my pad is doing well, and i'm going to fix the other one soon. I'll come back here if i have any different problems with that one. This does raise one concern for me, though. If i continue to play on these pads, will the arrows bend again?

Post #34 · Posted at 2011-04-27 07:30:56am 12.9 years ago

Offline Kiri_No_Haku
Kiri_No_Haku Avatar Member
378 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-07-20

Has anyone on here bought from the Cobalt Flux site besides platforms? My lexan panels are getting pretty trashed and the brackets are becoming bent and rusty. Should I buy a replacement set or would it be a big money saver to just go to Home Depot or somewhere and buy lexan panels for a cheaper price?

Also, why are these both different prices when they look to be the same thing?

https://www.cobaltflux.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16144&cat=250&page=1

https://www.cobaltflux.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16146&cat=250&page=1

Post #35 · Posted at 2011-04-27 07:32:10am 12.9 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
Anyone who pays more is an idiot.

Post #36 · Posted at 2011-04-27 07:39:05am 12.9 years ago

Offline PHN!X
PHN!X Avatar Member
47 Posts
United States
Reg. 2011-01-03

The clear and smooth mod kit recesses the arrows by raising the 4 corner panels, and the replacement lexan set gives you lexan panels used on the arrows themselves. I think that the mod kit parts are not lexan, but another clear plastic, which would explain why its cheaper.

Post #37 · Posted at 2011-04-27 08:21:28am 12.9 years ago

Offline Kiri_No_Haku
378 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-07-20

So, the best bet would probably be to run by Home Depot then for lexan panels? Or are they just that expensive? (look at home depot's site to see cost go up the $600s o_o)

I just find it funny how lexan is supposed to be durable, but my panels have gaping holes with pieces missing from the sides.

Post #38 · Posted at 2011-04-27 08:26:23am 12.9 years ago

Offline hellrazor
hellrazor Avatar Member+
586 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-10-27

Quote: Kiri_No_Haku
Has anyone on here bought from the Cobalt Flux site besides platforms? My lexan panels are getting pretty trashed and the brackets are becoming bent and rusty. Should I buy a replacement set or would it be a big money saver to just go to Home Depot or somewhere and buy lexan panels for a cheaper price?

Also, why are these both different prices when they look to be the same thing?
5 Lexan Panels vs. 9 Lexan Panels.

I bought two sets of spare Lexan panels because it was cheaper to buy from CF than Home Depot plus no need to cut the squares and the lexan from CF was ALOT thicker than Home Depot. I was NOT impressed, the screw holes didn't match with the previous set of lexan panels I had, and I bought two kits for both my pads, one kit didn't have holes pre-drilled (which actually was better since the one that came pre-drilled was not well done). I have a very low opinion of the tolerance CF uses to drill the panels onto their pads now and I would absolutely REQUEST they send the panels without any holes drilled in. I complained and they sent me another set without holes so it worked out.

TYVM to hellrazor and 8ftmetalhead. Now my pad is doing well, and i'm going to fix the other one soon. I'll come back here if i have any different problems with that one. This does raise one concern for me, though. If i continue to play on these pads, will the arrows bend again?
Yes, they will flatten over time slightly and you'll get gunk under the panels as well, expect to open them up every 6 months to keep them in good shape, you'll know as the pad starts acting up. I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as the maintenance on other metal dance pads out there and they'll be as good as new every time you clean them although over time you'll strip the screw holes, eventually you'll have to buy longer screws or use my screw-less mod.

Post #39 · Posted at 2011-04-27 10:18:51am 12.9 years ago

Offline Kiri_No_Haku
378 Posts
United States
Reg. 2010-07-20

Is it bad when I need to reapply wood glue and toothpicks to my CF once a week? Or is that expected from using it to play a minimum of 50 minutes of heavy daily?

Quote: hellrazor

5 Lexan Panels vs. 9 Lexan Panels.

I bought two sets of spare Lexan panels because it was cheaper to buy from CF than Home Depot plus no need to cut the squares and the lexan from CF was ALOT thicker than Home Depot. I was NOT impressed, the screw holes didn't match with the previous set of lexan panels I had, and I bought two kits for both my pads, one kit didn't have holes pre-drilled (which actually was better since the one that came pre-drilled was not well done). I have a very low opinion of the tolerance CF uses to drill the panels onto their pads now and I would absolutely REQUEST they send the panels without any holes drilled in. I complained and they sent me another set without holes so it worked out.

So the $25 kit comes with 5 lexan panels, 4 brackets, and 16 extra screws while the $60 kit comes with 9 lexan panels, 4 brackets, and (taking a guess) 32 extra screws?

Then what's the point of the $60 kit then when most people just want the 4 panels to replace when you could just buy two $25 kits and get more than one $60 kit?

Also, it confuses me more because both packages are the same weight. (5.00kg)

Post #40 · Posted at 2011-04-28 06:10:41am 12.9 years ago

Offline hellrazor
hellrazor Avatar Member+
586 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-10-27

Is it bad when I need to reapply wood glue and toothpicks to my CF once a week? Or is that expected from using it to play a minimum of 50 minutes of heavy daily?
That sounds really bad to me, buy bigger or longer screws PLEASE!!
So the $25 kit comes with 5 lexan panels, 4 brackets, and 16 extra screws while the $60 kit comes with 9 lexan panels, 4 brackets, and (taking a guess) 32 extra screws?
I don't know the specifics but I do know the 9 panels DOES NOT come with any brackets or any screws. It's a replacement for the panels already on the pad that you may only consider buying if your building a new pad or want to make your pads look new.

The 5 extra panels, 4 brackets, and 20 screws (guess they give you some extra) are what you will need to make your 5 non-arrow buttons a panel taller, bracketed together, and with LONGER screws to keep it all sandwiched. Two different packages for two different purposes.
Register Log In Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 3% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-03-19 09:37:39
This page took 0.017 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language