Post #1 · Posted at 2010-11-14 03:31:19am 13.3 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,469 帖子
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

Nintendo Network ID: KKiONI3DS Friend Code: 2320-6631-1671
"BEEJAY REVEL A"
For over a year now, I have been using LR for my taste of IIDX, but for the past 10 months I've been plotting away to eventually invest in an actual IIDX setup for myself. I've constructed a few plans, but I think I asking people who have already invested and are happy with their setups for suggestions might be the optional plan.
I am currently considering on buying a Japanese PS2 (because the current PS2 is my sister's and I am in no radius of a place that can mod it) along with Konami's IIDX controller. As for what style of IIDX I'm looking into, I'm thinking something between IIDX Red and DJ Troopers. I have yet to determine which songlist I'd find most appealing to myself.

Now here's where my questions come in. Since I have to start from scratch as I've never imported before, I am looking to see how much the gear will cost along with a style of IIDX. I have generally priced it out, but a general price range would be nice so I can budget accordingly.
Now with that being said, where can I actually buy Konami's IIDX controller? I have checked Play Asia periodically and it always says out of stock (which also blocks out the price >_>). I have seen some on eBay, but I obviously know they are used and new one's cost more.

On the topic of the controller, how good is the Konami IIDX controller? I've seen pictures and gameplay videos of it being used, but a written opinions on it I find more useful.

Now another question is about the display. I've currently seen the picture quality of a PS2 on a HDTV and wasn't extremely impressed. To make this long story short, the picture was inadequate and didn't fit the screen fully.
Now this strikes me as odd as I have the Wii connected with A/V cords as well and the picture quality of it is definitely much better than the picture of the PS2.
So is there actually a solution or will I just have to make due?

That's all the questions I have at this moment, but there sure will be more in the future as they come to me.
Thanks in advance to anyone that helps Smile

Oh and just to note, I probably won't be able to do all these purchases till March of next year so this thread might be bumped along the way.

Post #2 · Posted at 2010-11-14 05:20:55am 13.3 years ago

Offline aizen_466
aizen_466 Avatar Banned
32 帖子
United States
Reg. 2010-11-04

Beatmania on an HD Tv will be off sync.

Post #3 · Posted at 2010-11-14 05:28:30am 13.3 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,469 帖子
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

"BEEJAY REVEL A"
Well of course I knew of that, but I believe from DD and on there is timing adjustment.

Post #4 · Posted at 2010-11-14 05:36:36am 13.3 years ago

Offline Rwr4539
Rwr4539 Avatar Moderator+
1,013 帖子
Not Set
Reg. 2007-02-03

"I'm like Peter Pan, but a prick"
When I first bought a KOC and Happy Sky it set me back around $135, not including the shipping which was around $40.

The KOC is a great controller, and if modified so that it won't give you sticky keys, it will last you a good while.

Regarding the display: Did the display use component cables? It'll look much cleaner and sharper compared to using AV cables.

Oh and from what I heard, apparently a HDTV with game mode will minimise the lag so much so that timing adjustment isn't really needed. Depends on the make though.

Post #5 · Posted at 2010-11-14 05:50:04am 13.3 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,469 帖子
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

"BEEJAY REVEL A"
I heard about that sticky key problem. Is that easy to fix?
Also judging how much you paid for HS and a KOC, the controller isn't that expensive?

Also, I was actually using the AV cables. I'll take note to getting one of those when I do get around to buying everything.
My estimations for the cost of the JapanesePS2, KOC, and one style will roughly cost me 400 dollars or so.

Post #6 · Posted at 2010-11-14 06:13:48am 13.3 years ago

Offline Rwr4539
1,013 帖子
Not Set
Reg. 2007-02-03

You can fix it by opening the controller and: a) placing a small circle of anything, be it a eurocent coin or cardboard and place it in between the keys and the plunger, and b) shaving the corners of the keys a little so that it wouldn't get stuck.
The controller is usually around the same price as a IIDX game.

Post #7 · Posted at 2010-11-14 08:22:07am 13.3 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,469 帖子
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

"BEEJAY REVEL A"
Doesn't sound too hard to fix. That and it is much cheaper than what I saw on eBay. The once I saw on eBay costs about 130 dollars Dead I'm glad to here it's cheaper in other places.

Post #8 · Posted at 2010-11-14 09:18:02am 13.3 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 帖子
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
I would have thought anyone would have suggested Empress + Premium Best as a first game...

Post #9 · Posted at 2010-11-14 09:19:49am 13.3 years ago

Offline silenttype01
silenttype01 Avatar Member+
8,022 帖子
United States
Reg. 2007-01-19

"DINGDONG♥HEARTS"
Because in his first post, KKiONi mentioned that he's deciding between RED or TROOPERS

Post #10 · Posted at 2010-11-14 09:30:26am 13.3 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 帖子
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
Exactly why I said "I'd have thought *etc*"

Post #11 · Posted at 2010-11-14 10:44:09am 13.3 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,469 帖子
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

"BEEJAY REVEL A"
Well Empress is a little too expensive alongside the other styles. After I get my setup going, I do plan on getting it. I'm thinking of starting with DJ Troopers. I took a look at the songlist and I thought it was a good selection.

Post #12 · Posted at 2010-11-14 12:19:28pm 13.3 years ago

Offline Kon
Kon Avatar Member
1,288 帖子
United States
Reg. 2007-07-02

"OMG KON!"
Well lets see you have a few options... Let me list them for you...

-PS2-
American Used
American New
Japanese New
Japanese Used (might be hard to find, some usually show up on the market though)

-Mods-
If you are buying a American PS2 you are going to have to mod it to play Japanese games.
-Softmods - They run off the memory card typically and will allow you to play patched backup games if you can't find a region loader. To install the softmod you might need to exploit a game (I exploited 007, its was like $2 at Gamestop) and force the PS2 to run the backup exploited disc.
-Swap Discs - Most common is the Swap Magic. Its very easy to use, I do recommend a slim to use Swap Magic though.
-Physical Mod - Its terrific to have one of these as you can freely change region or it just unlocks the system in general, however you HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING IF YOU ARE INSTALLING IT YOURSELF. Dont even bother buying one if you dont even know how to solder or follow directions extremely carefully.

-Controller-
They are a bit hard to find now a days. Try looking through ebay for a cheap one, you can also ask someone to buy you one from Japan (will be expensive to ship though). My advice is just to buy a beatmania US bundle off of ebay or something. I use American KOC and it works fine for me.

-Games-
Empress+Premium Best - look to pay around $70~$100 shipped. Its by far the best mix and blows every other game out of the water.
RED~DJ TROOPERS - Look to pay usually between $40~$65. Sometime Red and Happy Sky can be found cheap.
3rd~10th - You can get these for a bargain sometimes (ebay). Anywhere from $10~$40 typically (used). You will pay out your ass new for any of these.

-TV-
Advice: Most of the newer games comes with timing adjustment, BUT that does not necessarily means it works. None of the games with timing adjustment ever worked on my HDTV except for EMPRESS. EMPRESS is most likely work on any TV just because you can adjust the timing 10 times more then the other games (it gives you options like 2.2 and 2.3 where before you could only select 2 or 3 for instance). My Advice though is to play on a monitor if you can. Most monitors only have .5 ms lag or less making it a ideal choice for music games. I used a old TV that took component and upscaled the picture pretty well with no lag too.

Well that was a lot to type. I tried to type out what your options were going to be. My advice for getting everything together for cheap...
Used PS2 Slim>Softmod>beatmania US Bundle (ebay)>EMPRESS>Old TV or HDTV (as long as you have EMPRESS a HDTV should be fine).

Post #13 · Posted at 2010-11-15 09:46:46am 13.3 years ago

Offline Tear
Tear Avatar Member
5 帖子
Hong Kong
Reg. 2010-11-15

Empress has 2 discs -_-". Hence the buffed up price, and it has a great songlist... if you were to buy 2 mixes it would definitely be Empress and Troopers. (Unless konami is feeling kind and come up with Sirius :3)

I dont know how serious you are planning to get with IIDX, but the KOC is a great start nevertheless, you would want to mod your KOC so that the keys are the same distance away from the turntable as the arcade, so you dont have to adapt later on (which I had to when I bought my Dao FP7 ._.)

And if you are choosing between red or troopers, I would pick troopers.
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/iidxsig/6414.png?t=1303216056

Post #14 · Posted at 2010-11-15 10:03:00am 13.3 years ago

Offline Rwr4539
1,013 帖子
Not Set
Reg. 2007-02-03

DJT is best.

Post #15 · Posted at 2010-11-15 10:38:54am 13.3 years ago

Offline KKiONI
KKiONI Avatar Member
2,469 帖子
Canada
Reg. 2007-12-06

"BEEJAY REVEL A"
Thanks for all this info. This is really helpfulSmile

@Kon: I was actually planning on just getting a Japanese PS2. I know it costs a little more, but it sure is less of a hassle. As for the TV part, I want to keep it on the HDTV because it's the only one I don't have to fight over to use.

So from what your saying, the BMUS controllers are just as good? I remember hearing some downsides to it. I would actually choose that option (as it's quick and cheap), but surprisingly Beatmania US is actually really scarce here (which I don't understand as the game was a bust and at least 1000 copies must of been sold in my region).

As for the game selection, I'm planning on getting Empress later. It's definitely on my want list, but I think getting another style first would be better. Aside from a lot of people recommending Empress, I think I've set my mind to the second most mentioned: DJT. I've seen the songlist (and a review) and I really like the songlist. Replay by Slake sounds awesome and Cookie Bouquets sounds great as well. So many more songs in the list that I love too.

@Tear: Yeah I have a friend who got a DJ Dao controller not too long ago and he said the switch was awkward.
For the past year since I started I have been playing on merely my laptop keyboard with Lunatic Rave (where scratch = Shift key). I've already worked my way up to Level 10's (and one 11) so when I switch my skill is going to be blown back down to 1 with scratching. I think I will start with the regular controller to get myself used to the scratching.
Thread Locked Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 4% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-03-19 09:23:27
This page took 0.013 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: chinesetraditional
Reset Theme & Language