User Simfile Questionnaire

Thread Locked Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2010-10-04 09:50:25am 13.5 years ago

Offline chewi
chewi Avatar Member+
8,537 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-02-24

Please take some time and answer these questions truthfully. Please keep any debates out of here.

Question 1:
When it comes to simfiles, do you look for quantity, or quality?
For example, would you want 125 really bad simfiles, or 50 really good quality ones?

Question 2:
Do graphics matter? For example, do you want to see generic graphics (like UNIVERSE) or unique graphics? What about backgrounds or CD covers?

Question 3:
What kinds of music do you want to see stepped? Do you want mainstream songs, songs from BEMANI titles, user created songs?

Question 4:
What do you expect from Challenge charts? A harder chart, or a variant of the Expert chart? What about Challenge-only songs. (see DDRMAX2)

Question 5:
Would you like to see Xmix or Power Mixes? What kinds of songs would you want mixed?

Question 6:
Would you download courses? For example, what if they had songs that weren't unlocked yet. (like BOSS RUSH X2, etc.)

Question 7:
Would you participate in a RANKING course? For example, a course of about 5 songs and whoever gets the highest score gets the next song to be unlocked before anyone else.

Question 8:
Do you like background videos, like music videos for licenses, or IIDX videos?

Question 9:
Do you like having a default list, then songs come as 'unlocks'? Or do you want everything at once?

Question 10:
Do you look for difficulty when you download files? Do you prefer really hard simfiles, or fun ones?

Post #2 · Posted at 2010-10-04 10:12:19am 13.5 years ago

Offline DMAxel
DMAxel Avatar Member
2,823 Posts
Chile
Reg. 2007-10-01

Q1: Quality. When I used to download simfiles, like 5-6 years ago, I downloaded batches of simfiles... to finally just play a couple of them.

Q2: While I've seen amazing simfiles (step-wisely) without graphics, I feel that a simfile it's more polished with them. I prefer unique graphics. Backgrounds are always nice, and I personally don't care about CD covers yet.

Q3: I barely listen to mainstream songs (I never play most of the licenses on US DDR CS games unless I'm forced to). I like the variety of musical genres that can be found on the BEMANI games, and user-created songs are nice.

Q4: I expect either a harder chart (that hopefully isn't forced) or a variant of the Expert chart. I prefer seeing songs with a full set of charts (at least on Singles, which is what I play for now) than with just one chart.

Q5: As long as they're not just copy+paste, and have some kind of mixing on them, yeah, why not. I don't have exactly nothing on mind right now to answer the other question Tongue

Post #3 · Posted at 2010-10-04 10:15:05am 13.5 years ago

Offline DJ OMiY
DJ OMiY Avatar Member
1,768 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-08-22

3DS Friend Code: 184820672999
"Mage Evangelist"
Quote: Chewphoria~
Question 1:
For example, would you want 125 really bad simfiles, or 50 really good quality ones?
Quality matters. Having climbed the slope from a 12-year old with Stepmania making really shitty charts to a 17-year old making (hopefully) better charts, I can say that I enjoy steps that make sense with the music and will certainly place quality over quantity.

Question 2:
Do graphics matter? For example, do you want to see generic graphics (like UNIVERSE) or unique graphics? What about backgrounds or CD covers?
Unique graphics are actually quite important for me. I swear I'm OCD or something, but I need something pretty to look at when I play. (I got excited over IIDX for the menus ALONE). BGs and CD covers are neat ideas and both should continue to be supported!

Question 3:
What kinds of music do you want to see stepped? Do you want mainstream songs, songs from BEMANI titles, user created songs?
Given that all three appear in my current project, the categories listed hear are all good ideas (depending on the songs). My favorite types of songs to step are Dance, Happy Hardcore, Eurobeat, and Pop. Others who do the same with some degree of quality are favorites in my book.

Question 4:
What do you expect from Challenge charts? A harder chart, or a variant of the Expert chart? What about Challenge-only songs. (see DDRMAX2)
Challenge charts carry two separate purposes, and it is going to allow me to answer both parts of this question at once. In a song with Beginner ~ Heavy charts, a Challenge chart offers an extended level above the heavy. When I make simfiles, I make challenge charts when I feel there was a little more I could have done with the heavy steps or the heavy steps were relatively easy and there was room for the difficulty to increase. In the case of challenge only songs, the chart serves as a re-interpretation along with the remixed song. I enjoy challenge remixes especially because of the unique challenge (no pun intended) they bring. It allows a step artist to play with a song in ways not possible with the original song.

Question 5:
Would you like to see Xmix or Power Mixes? What kinds of songs would you want mixed?
Xmixes are interesting, although whether we see more of them or not totally doesn't matter to me. I like the medley ideas, but I don't play them enough to warrant me asking for more. I would prefer to just see more high-quality songs or remixes. Or, even better, courses.

DISCLAIMER: These are simply opinions. As chewy said, let's keep the flaming out of the thread.
https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/simfiles/PROJECT%20CRYSTALLINE/PROJECT%20CRYSTALLINE.png?1549654414
PROJECT CRYSTALLINE is a thing!

Post #4 · Posted at 2010-10-04 10:21:08am 13.5 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: maxninja1143DS Friend Code: 392661848995Game Center Nickname: maxninja114
"Charlie isn't real"
Question 1:
Quality. That's about it. You can have over 250 simfiles, but you might have only like 30 that are actually quite good.

Question 2:
Unique GFX are what i like best. but other than that i'm mainly in it for the chart.

Question 3:
Electronica/Trance/Techno/Rave song i prefer the most. Mainstream is so-so. BEMANI is a must. User created songs are dependable on what genre of music they make.

Question 4:
Challenge songs should be more of a CHALLENGE than Expert Tongue. Challenge-only songs are also ok, but i've played MAX2 too much to say that they should be reserved for remixes of songs.

Question 5:
Xmix for each DDR Mix, with a limit to "Xmix5". Man if only i learned how to DJ i could SOOO do that.

Basically for an Xmix, you would pick a theme for the Xmix, put the songs you think fit the theme, and then go for it. Actually i shouldn't say "Xmix" for past mixes of DDR because that would be saying Dance Dance Revolution was a variant of DDR X....if you catch my drift >_>

Power Mixes: DDR1st Mix - SuperNOVA2
Xmixes: DDR X - DDR X2 (DDR X3?)

^ Like that.

Post #5 · Posted at 2010-10-04 10:22:26am 13.5 years ago

Offline tsugaru7reveng
tsugaru7reveng Avatar Member+
1,430 Posts
Canada
Reg. 2006-06-02

Q1:
Quality hands down. There are simfiles I download from packs that I do not tend to play that much where after first play I don't play them anymore. I always look for the fun factor in stepcharts.

Q2:
Only banners to me are important. Generic backgrounds are okay for me. CD Covers can be at least integrated into the generic backgrounds so the background can have some appeal perhaps.

Q3:
Anything pretty much.

Q4:
Challenge-only songs are kinda getting phased out, so they'd might as well be not made anymore to conform with the newer mixes. I think they're better off as something harder than the Expert chart.

Q5:
It depends if they can be pulled off as good as Xmix 5.

Post #6 · Posted at 2010-10-04 10:39:08am 13.5 years ago

Offline Pandemonium X
Pandemonium X Avatar Member
10,358 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-04-06

Nintendo Network ID: PandemoniumEJPNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2916-7192-8116
Answer 1:
50 good ones. (comes from the guy with over 300 simfiles) Roll Eyes

Answer 2:
I don't think GFX matter. You can't tell a book just by it's cover. So You can't tell a simfile just by it's graphics.

Answer 3:
Songs that would make good steps and HAVE GOOD STEPS (Looks at every r21 edit of I Can Walk on Water, I can Fly.) it has to feel like your dancing in a club, not how many arrows you can put in at once.

Answer 4:
Depends on what kind of simfile your doing. Challenge charts can be a harder Heavy or ITG style. Challenge songs are good too, but for user made simfiles, it comes to the idea of being lazy.

Answer 5:
I'm not a fan of the Xmix / Power mix thing. It seems with every good song, it's mixed in with something I hate. Also they are badly mixed 99% of the time. Also the idea comes to why play a 1:45 song when you can play a 4:00 song?

Post #7 · Posted at 2010-10-04 10:58:53am 13.5 years ago

Offline Lord Toon
Lord Toon Avatar Member
1,613 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-11-14

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2326-5874-6891Origin: LordToon_LTI
"lordtoon.com"
Question 1:
I want quality simfiles...//

Question 2:
Hey it's me...Of course Graphic matters. If there is no graphics, I have to make my own...I'm anal that way.//

Question 3:
Konami Originals baby...All the way. My opinion of course.//

Question 4:
I want Contra hard...It will kick your butt but be fun at the same time...//

Question 5:
I thought they are both the same?//

Post #8 · Posted at 2010-10-04 11:24:34am 13.5 years ago

Offline chewi
chewi Avatar Member+
8,537 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-02-24

For question number 5 I am asking if you would like to see something like that, I'm not saying that they are two different things.

Post #9 · Posted at 2010-10-04 11:25:05am 13.5 years ago

Offline NIQ9
NIQ9 Avatar Member
345 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-22

Question 1:

50 good simfiles. I'm extremely picky about the charts I play, and if I see even one awkward step, misplaced rhythm, or stops/BPM changes that shouldn't belong, I don't play the chart or I just edit it myself. Basically, if it doesn't look like I stepped it, I don't play it (obviously there are exceptions, mostly with official DDR/ITG). I'm not trying to sound elitist, but it's just how I feel about stepcharts.

Question 2:

Graphics are nice, but it's the step content that matters the most. In fact, all simfile contests at r21freak BAN graphics of all kinds so there will be little bias toward a file with good gfx vs bad gfx. It's like a Christmas present. You can wrap it up in nice paper, put it under the tree and open it in the morning, or you could just be like "here ya go" and hand the un-boxed gift to them. It's the same thing in the end, but they are presented differently.

Question 3:

I like to see a variety. For instance, if someone was making a 50 song simfile pack, I would expect some mainstream music, a few songs very few people have heard, and something nobody in the SM community has ever heard before. One of the reasons I download new simfile packs is for the music. If I had to choose one, I would say BEMANI songs. I can't wait until Resort Anthem sims start pouring out (and I definitely plan on making a few myself). Also, do not step anything that already has a good or popular chart.

Question 4:

Definitely a harder chart. Yes, it's true DDR challenge charts aren't necessarily harder than the expert, but I do expect a simfile's challenge chart to be much harder than the heavy chart. Preferably at least 2 feet higher and a 9+ footer (13+ new scale). As for challenge-only charts, I'm used to it. Most pad simfiles for ITG are challenge-only. I usually make full singles charts for my files, but I don't mind challenge-only as long as it has something under 13 feet (18 new scale).

Question 5:

no no no no no no no no no. Instead of mashing songs together, just make some courses. It's much easier and it's basically the same thing.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/User%20Names/NIQ9.png

Post #10 · Posted at 2010-10-04 12:17:55pm 13.5 years ago

Offline AeronPeryton
AeronPeryton Avatar Member+
4,338 Posts
Japan
Reg. 2007-03-03

"Give me a steady beat."

I would settle for 15 feature complete ones. I prefer that a simfile have at least a full spread of Single (Beginner through Expert at least) and Doubles (Basic through Expert at least) charts as well as good artwork to go with it. Challenge charts, Solo & to a lesser extent Couple, Edits, movies are also good additions. If a pack is put out all at once some effort should be made with at least a few of those songs to have those additional things.

I'm real easy to please when it comes to the "quality" of the graphics in a song. Even if it's an art deco thing like UNIVERSE and UNIVERSE 2 I'm good with it if it feels like it belongs. If the artwork is chosen/created with care and in the right proportions and format I don't have issues with it. It's also better to just have a nice piece of stock photography or fractal art instead of superimposing text when one knows good and well they can't do it right (MSPaint).

There is music that works in DDR, and that's a pretty wide margin. Some feel like they were written for the game and some feel strange in a game like DDR yet they work somehow. And then there is music that clearly doesn't fit and should never be attempted. Konami, in their infinite wisdom have used ALL of above. As long as the music has a good repetitious beat and is a song you would expect to hear at a club or a dance party then it should work just fine. As for specific types of music... Anything from the club scene and dance remixes of just about everything, things like Billboard mainstream hits, Bemani crossovers and originals are good but shouldn't be relied upon to make up the bulk of a pack... When it comes to DDR the strength of a set of songs/pack of songs is its diversity.

I don't have a problem with Challenge-only (So long as the song is available for play on all dance styles). It can be seen as laziness but it's also an elite tier that says "You can't work up the levels on this song, you have to be Expert just to try it." For songs that already have full charts, Challenge charts to me will always be Expert type-2. They can be clearly harder, clearly easier or just different.

Only if it's not just one song faded into another, and the songs have something in common. See the Remix Station on Pump It Up, those songs are actually MIXed into one another where elements from each reappear throughout the length of the track. It takes more effort, someone would have to just about be a musician to do it well, but it's worth it.

You planning a new pack, Chewy? :3

Post #11 · Posted at 2010-10-04 03:28:59pm 13.5 years ago

Offline boomba
boomba Avatar Member
11,698 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-01-19

"~ The evolution has begun ! ~"
Q1 : Quality. I usualy download a lot of simfiles and check each of them.

Q2 : Nope. It's all about the songs and stepcharts.

Q3 : I prefer mainstreams, licences, I only like bemani songs composed by Tomosuke, Kobo, Yoshitaka, DJ Taka.

Q4 : Both (variant and (or) harder) are ok.

Q5 : NO.

Post #12 · Posted at 2010-10-04 05:02:42pm 13.5 years ago

Offline jorellpd
jorellpd Avatar Member
293 Posts
Philippines
Reg. 2008-06-08

Origin: Forza_Joey
"Who says that!!"
Question 1:
-My answer: I would go for quality because what's the use of having too many simfiles which are too poorly stepped. When I'm making sims, I always make sure that it's of good quality and at the same time steps are very fun and addictive for all.

Question 2:
-My answer: It's my prerogative to include banners but since I usually play DDRX2 nowadays on an amusement center, I would rather go with the Album Cover's but for Konami Originals well it's a very tedious task.

Question 3:
-My answer: Actually, I prefer stepping with mainstream musics since I really missed myself listening to the radio and also BEMANI musics too especially IIDX musics or even pop'n music tunes.

Question 4:
-My answer: Again, it's my prerogative to make it and it also depends on the tune itself.

Question 5:
-My answer: No, I don't really like Power Mixes or Xmixes.

Post #13 · Posted at 2010-10-04 06:22:15pm 13.5 years ago

Offline Oni-91
Oni-91 Avatar Moderator+
13,492 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2006-10-20

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-3445-5569-17913DS Friend Code: 008736577880
"Ambivalent Viennetta"

Question 1:

I think you know the answer to this one. A lot of crap is no good to anyone.

Question 2:

Unique graphics, unique bgs, no CD covers (because it's not like I'll use them).

Question 3:

A mix of all three. You also forgot "licensed but too good to be mainstream".

Question 4:

Either, your call. Also no Challenge-only songs, as making a single chart's a bit lazy.

Question 5:

No, because they take up a slot that a decent song (or two) could go in.
ZIv Mod Squad: "I'm a trash panda now, don't worry about it"
Can you make music? ZENIUS -I- MANIA 2023 NEEDS YOU
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvT2ARPaQAAxRVX.jpg:large

Post #14 · Posted at 2010-10-04 07:13:26pm 13.5 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
||Aegis Response||
Question 1:
I really am tired of downloading a bunch of shit and not getting 1 or 2 good simfiles. 50 would be lovely.

Question 2:
Classic backgrounds that make sense with the song, giving mutual value.
I really don't mind about graphics as long as they are decent.
And I really could care less about cd covers. I mean, what is the point. >_>

Question 3:
Well, most mainstream is rubbish, so I like to see less of that. There are some good tunes out there.
Bemani titles go 50-50. Some don't need to be stepped.
User-created songs...I really don't want to answer this.

Question 4:
Anything but a copy paste. I see ITG-wise, so I would want a harder chart.
Challenge-only isn't cool.

Question 5:
Eww,no. If I HAD to...anything not mainstream.

This is all I can think of right now, please answer. Your feedback is important.
Your welcome.

Post #15 · Posted at 2010-10-04 08:06:55pm 13.5 years ago

Offline chewi
chewi Avatar Member+
8,537 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-02-24

Um, I added 5 more questions to the first post. Please answer them, feedback is important...

Post #16 · Posted at 2010-10-04 08:11:49pm 13.5 years ago

Offline jorellpd
jorellpd Avatar Member
293 Posts
Philippines
Reg. 2008-06-08

Origin: Forza_Joey
"Who says that!!"
Question 6:
Would you download courses? For example, what if they had songs that weren't unlocked yet. (like BOSS RUSH X2, etc.)
-My answer: No. I don't like playing courses much. I really focus on each and every musics that I play.

Question 7:
Would you participate in a RANKING course? For example, a course of about 5 songs and whoever gets the highest score gets the next song to be unlocked before anyone else.
My answer: No. I don't also really like it.

Question 8:
-My answer: YES!! Very much!! In fact, I intended to include the on one of my simfile's official video.

Question 9:
Do you like having a default list, then songs come as 'unlocks'? Or do you want everything at once?
-My answer: I want a default list.

Question 10:
Do you look for difficulty when you download files? Do you prefer really hard simfiles, or fun ones?
-My answer: I would prefer both hard and fun sims.

Post #17 · Posted at 2010-10-04 08:26:18pm 13.5 years ago

Offline 7121DSP
7121DSP Avatar Member+
496 Posts
Indonesia
Reg. 2010-03-12

"Donut is Science"
Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

Question 5:

Question 6:

Question 7:

Question 8:

Question 9:

Question 10:

Answer 1 : quality simfiles, i will not play simfiles when step is too bad
Answer 2 : Yes, any graphics okay but i prefer using banner instead Cover CD
Answer 3 : Mainstream Songs and some song from BEMANI Title
Answer 4 : any difficulty is OK
Answer 5 : No. because i not play that
Answer 6 : Yes
Answer 7 : No, because i'm bad at course mode
Answer 8 : Any of them
Answer 9 : maybe not
Answer 10 : Yes (for example MAX 300, i always play on Expert chart). both of them
Latest Simfiles
https://zenius-i-vanisher.com/simfiles/7121DSP%20Simfiles%202nd%20Generation/Aleph-Zero/Aleph-Zero-jacket.pnghttps://zenius-i-vanisher.com/simfiles/7121DSP%20Simfiles%202nd%20Generation/ATHAZA/ATHAZA-jacket.pnghttps://zenius-i-vanisher.com/simfiles/7121DSP%20Simfiles%202nd%20Generation/Fun%20GABBAKICK/Fun%20GABBAKICK-jacket.pnghttps://zenius-i-vanisher.com/simfiles/7121DSP%20Simfiles%202nd%20Generation/Memory%20of%20Sunrise/Memory%20of%20Sunrise-jacket.png

Post #18 · Posted at 2010-10-04 09:39:42pm 13.5 years ago

Offline Pandemonium X
Pandemonium X Avatar Member
10,358 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-04-06

Nintendo Network ID: PandemoniumEJPNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2916-7192-8116

Question 6:

Question 7:

Question 8:

Question 9:

Question 10:
Answer 6:
Hell yes I would. Gives a new way to play songs and they don't take much room.

Answer 7:
This could work if a lot of people get the songs. If you have 5 downloads for the pack, then it's kind of pointless. Also it would be tricky to just have the leading player to keep your hidden song hush hush. If done right however this could be a great add-on. (but how can you tell if someone has it set to judge level 1 and get's 99.XX% on it?)

Answer 8:
Depends on quality and the size of the BGvideo. I'm not going to download a simfile with a neat 100MB video file. Also what I said about graphics goes for this too. It's not a need but is a nice touch to have.

Answer 9:
Yes. Keeps your simfile pack fresh. Wish I knew a way I could do it. It's also hard because the unlock codes on stepmania are in the program file(I think), not something you can put in as part of a pack on less it is it's own version of stepmania or a newer version can do it like SSC.

Answer 10:
Fun ones. There's such thing as a fun song that challenging, and a song that's just BS.

Post #19 · Posted at 2010-10-04 10:11:30pm 13.5 years ago

Offline DMAxel
DMAxel Avatar Member
2,823 Posts
Chile
Reg. 2007-10-01

Q6: I rarely play courses, so I'm rather indifferent about this.

Q7: Not really.

Q8: Yeah, I do.

Q9: I barely download packs, I tend to download individual simfiles. But if I had to do it.. I'd like everything at once.

Q10: Fun. If it's hard, that's nice as long as the difficulty isn't forced.

Post #20 · Posted at 2010-10-04 11:39:41pm 13.5 years ago

Offline typeCHAOS
typeCHAOS Avatar Member
165 Posts
Canada
Reg. 2009-02-05

Q1. -Quality sims, plain and simple.

Q2. -I would say Graphics play a bigger part then most people think because it's usually what looks attractive that grab people's attention. The same would go for Backgrounds. I support the CD cover because it gave DDR a fresh look on X2.

Q3. -All genres are welcome in my mind. It's just the whole mainstream/licenses songs getting easy step charts is pretty bull crap. Back in the day, mainstream songs (before the New Era of DDR) were many different difficulties. (ex: Cartoon Heroes). User Created songs are also good to have because it is a way to get them noticed.

Q4. -From Challenge charts. I somewhat expect to have them somewhat harder mainly because it's supposed to be CHALLENGE but I also like the MAX style where they were only a different set of steps. Ultimately, I say that the Challenge chart can be any difficulty (except where shock arrows come into play and a standard or easy chart is recycled then it's bull crap). As for the whole challenge only steps, I like that because it makes the song feel more important or fun to play (ex: Tsugaru Apple Mix)

Q5. -definitely but for songs from the 1st - 5th mix era, they would need a name like "3rd MEGAMIX" or the Max - SuperNOVA 2 era it would be "SuperNOVA POWERMIX" and for the X series it would be "X-mix 5 (subtitle)." they MEGAMIX and POWERMIX versions would need to be like the NONSTOP MEGAMIX soundtracks that had songs fading into the next songs seamlessly and the X-mixes would need to follow a theme. (ex: X-mix 6 (THE EVOLUTION OF MAX) containing all the max songs.

Q6. -I'm indifferent about this topic.

Q7. -Yeah I would participate in a ranking course.

Q8. -Yes BG vids are attractive and fun to gaze at while playing the song. it makes a song feel special to play.

Q9. -Having Unlockables is a big think that makes DDR so "good" and adds the sense of anxiety while waiting for the next unlock (fun or boring)

Q10. -Not really. hard but fun, to be honest I like the challenge chart for "trigger" because it was definitely hard but once you got the stops down, it became fun and challenging. DEGRS is just a disgrace though.

FINALLY DONE :D almost like a review lol.
Thread Locked Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 4% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-04-20 04:03:57
This page took 0.017 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language