General questions about simfiles

Thread Locked Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2010-03-20 01:02:36pm 14 years ago

Offline NikoNiko
NikoNiko Avatar Member
2 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2010-03-20

I just started to make my first simfiles, I installed stepmania just like 2 weeks ago but I already have some questions about simfiles and hopefully I will have the opportunity to make a pack.

Question 1:

Is there a way to make the background videos start from the beginning each time I apply them to a song? I mean, like making the video start over and over each time a song has stops, for example.

Question 2:

What kinds of video codecs does stepmania support? I tried to add an Avi video but it seems the codecs doesn't run in stepmania 3.9, so I had to do a conversion to mpeg.

Question 3:

When making steps, is it a good idea to make the steps go exactly with the song? For example, just when the vocal starts, should I add a 32th step or a 16th step?

Question 4:

How can I add special characters when naming a song in stepmania? I have some problems with japanese characters in notepad++.

Question 5:

When I add a slow down in a song, then at the finish the stepchart keeps going even if the song ended, how can I avoid this aside adding a speed up in the bpm at the end of the song?

Question 6:

When I add the difficulty amount of a song, is it better to make it from 1 to 10 or from 1 to 20?

Question 7:

Is there a way to apply different bpm in each difficulty in the same song?

Question 8:

About making my first simfiles, some of them have a background video so when I upload it should I add a videoless version and a video version of the pack?

Question 9:

Is it a good idea to add unlockable songs? For my part I really like song packs with unlockables, but maybe most of the people don't.

And that's it, I thank in advance to all the people willing to help me.

Post #2 · Posted at 2010-03-20 07:59:43pm 14 years ago

Offline silenttype01
silenttype01 Avatar Member+
8,023 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-01-19

"DINGDONG♥HEARTS"
1. Yes. I hardly have any experience with videos, so I hope that someone else can explain this.

2. As far as I know, it can support the avi format, as all videos for official simfiles are in the avi format. Try reinstalling stepmania to see if that solves the problem.

3. If you're new to making simfiles, don't overdo it by making the steps go exactly what you would h ear in the song. Work with what you're comfortable with.

4. I know that stepmania3.9 doesn't support certain characters. I wish I knew which ones, but I don't, so I can't tell you.

5. The song doesn't end when the steps end because there is a step at the very bottom on one of the charts. Go to the edit menu, look through each difficulty and press the "End" button on your keyboard. That button will automatically take you to the very last step on the chart you are viewing. If you find that arrow, delete it and save.

6. It's all a matter of personal preference. You should know how the difficulty ratings work if you decide to use the 1-20 scale. If that's too much of a hassle, just stick with the 1-10 scale.

7. Inserting a BPM change on one difficulty will affect all difficulties, so there's no need to worry about that.

8. Again, that's a personal preference. If you have the time to upload a simfile with a video, then go for it.

9. Personal preference.

Hope any of this helps.

Post #3 · Posted at 2010-03-20 08:00:07pm 14 years ago

Offline Aegis
Aegis Avatar Member
9,371 Posts
United States
Reg. 2009-04-16

"."
To answer your questions.

Question 1: Is there a way to make the background videos start from the beginning each time I apply them to a song? I mean, like making the video start over and over each time a song has stops, for example.
Use the bga option in the edit mode. (ctrl+b I think) and add the vid where you desire. Add the same bga at another spot you desire with rewind loop or another option you feel convenient. See the other options in the bga option. There is fade, loop, etc.

Question 2: What kinds of video codecs does stepmania support? I tried to add an Avi video but it seems the codecs doesn't run in stepmania 3.9, so I had to do a conversion to mpeg.
bs. Avi's are supported. Mpegs are ok, but Avi's are less space. Good for flashdrive's.

Question 3: When making steps, is it a good idea to make the steps go exactly with the song? For example, just when the vocal starts, should I add a 32th step or a 16th step?
As long as it is synced properly and isn't retarded, it should be fine. Remember, when making simfiles...you make them for yourself or for a general audience. For a general audience, you will bump into many whining people complaining about the stepchart or the music selection. Ignore them unless you want constructive criticism.

Question 4: How can I add special characters when naming a song in stepmania? I have some problems with japanese characters in notepad++.
Copy paste the wording or whatever onto the desired text. You get them by either translation or something

Question 5: When I add a slow down in a song, then at the finish the stepchart keeps going even if the song ended, how can I avoid this aside adding a speed up in the bpm at the end of the song?
OpenITG avoids this issue. Download it and enjoy its epicness. I'll talk about that later. For now, the only way to answer that problem is by adding a large bpm at the end of the song or just cut the song. Cutting resorts to suddenness. A large bpm ends in meh.

Question 6: When I add the difficulty amount of a song, is it better to make it from 1 to 10 or from 1 to 20?
Again, it is mere preference. 1-10 lacks a lot. 1-20 is just too much, imo. I prefer 1-15. 15 being a dumb chart to soon be deleted. Do what you wish. Tongue You can even make them 1-5 if you want.

Question 7: Is there a way to apply different bpm in each difficulty in the same song?
No. And why would you? If it is for gimmicks, make 1 sim with bpm changes, and 1 sim without them.

Question 8: About making my first simfiles, some of them have a background video so when I upload it should I add a videoless version and a video version of the pack?
There are downloading options for the audience. They can download the .zip with the video or without it.

Question 9: Is it a good idea to add unlockable songs? For my part I really like song packs with unlockables, but maybe most of the people don't.
I prefer to play songs. Unlockables just seems to be a waste of time for me. Then again, you have people who enjoy them. Uploading sims or a pack of sims gives you the chance to do that.

And that's it, I thank in advance to all the people willing to help me.
||Aegis out||

About OpenITG.
-It's Stepmania. Tongue
-Fixes many problems like your ending issue.
-Has a decent theme.
-Decent arrow skins.
-Supports rolls, etc.
-Much much more.

A suggestion would be, when you select mods, select metal+ instead of metal.
That is if you use OpenITG.

Post #4 · Posted at 2010-03-22 04:22:31am 14 years ago

Offline NikoNiko
NikoNiko Avatar Member
2 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2010-03-20

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to finish my pack as soon as posible.
Thread Locked Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 2% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-04-16 11:13:42
This page took 0.004 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language