Logo

The DDR Dictionary: Terms, acronyms and such.

Thread Locked Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2008-11-15 02:38:29am 15.4 years ago

Offline FELMDemon
FELMDemon Avatar Member
1,437 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-12-29

"o_O?"
We need one.

Any kind of term or acronym that you can think of that most people use to describe patterns, scores and such on DDR, post them here and I'll update this.

* = Credit to DDRFreak

Scoring Terms

FPC = Full Perfect Combo
PFC = Perfect Full Combo
SDG = Single Digit Greats
FC = Full Combo
Black Flag = 1 great, the rest are perfect or marvelous.

Common Song and Chart Abbreviations/Terms

Boss Song = Songs that make baby Jesus cry. Noted by their blood-red song name in the current mix, these songs are the hardest of the hard, forcing you to tap into all of your skills and stamina acquired as a player or die trying. They usually run at a clip of 270 BPM and higher.

Their beginner charts usually aren't anything to write home about (except FELM Beginner ) but their Basic charts make newbies cry, their Standard charts crush many a sophomoric player and their Expert charts kill. The ones that have Challenge charts should not be attempted by mere mortals lest you collapse in a seizure from the amount of arrows that pass by at a high rate of BPM.

Boss Song TL;DR version = The hardest songs DDR has to offer. Light usually feel like Standard, Standard feels like Heavy.
TL;DR = Too long, didn't read.

FELM = Fascination ~eternal love mix~
FAXX = Fascination MAXX
PSM = PARANOiA Survivor MAX
HDV = Healing D Vision
HVAM = Healing Vision ~Angelic Mix~
CH = Cartoon Heroes
CSFILSM = Can't Stop Falling in Love -Speed Mix-
PH = PARANOiA Hades
PR = Pluto Relinquish
SMMM = MAX 300 (Super-Max-Me-Mix)

FS = Final Stage
ES = Extra Stage
EES = Encore Extra Stage
OMES = One More Extra Stage a.k.a EES

O = Oni, known as Challenge nowadays and used in conjunction with song names (I.E FELMO, HDVO, PSMO)
H = Heavy, known as Expert nowadays and is used in conjunction with song names (I.E FAXXH, PSMH)

Foot Rating = The rating a song is given on a certain difficulty, ranging from 1-10; changed to 1-20 with the release of DDR X
Beginner Beginner = The easiest difficulty for guess who? Beginners. Usually contains around 100 notes; major exceptions are FELM and PH.
Basic Light = The next step up from beginner. Usually contains quarter note streams in succession. Nothing too hard.
Difficult Standard = The next level from Basic. 8th note streams become common.
Expert Heavy = The difficulty that simulates true dancing and movement following the song's rhythm. Basically, anything goes.
Challenge Challenge = For "pros" only. Previous uses have been for remixes of songs or and easier difficulty for certain songs. Currently is used as a way to say "Stay the hell away from me or die" as these charts are usually much more difficult than their Expert counterparts.
*Footer = Short for "Foot Rating"
*Catastrophic/Cata = 9 footer chart
*Exorbitant = 8 footer
*Maniac = Expert
*Heavy = Expert
Light = Basic
Standard = Difficult

Step Pattern Terms

*Quarter Notes = 1/4 steps placed on the beat of the song. Most basic songs are composed entirely of quarter notes. Colored Red when Note skin is in place; Gold when Rainbow skin is in place.
*Eighth Notes = 1/8 steps placed exactly halfway between the beats of the song. Colored Blue when Note or Rainbow skin is in place
*Sixteenth Notes = 1/16 steps placed exactly halfway between 1/8 steps. Colored Yellow when Note skin is in place; Purple when Rainbow skin is in place
*32nd Notes = 1/32 steps placed exactly halfway between 1/16 steps. Colored Green when Note skin is in place; A different shade of purple is used when Rainbow skin is in place.
Triplets = 1/12, 1/24, or 1/48 steps. Colored Green when Note skin is in place; A different shade of Purple when Rainbow skin is in place.

Blue/Yellow/Green/Orange Note Syndrome = When a part of the chart's arrows are the same color when Note or Rainbow is in play, making it harder to read the arrows, occasionally caused by bad stops or the song's erratic rhythm. Or bad stepchart writers, but I digress.

BPM = Beats per minute. Shows how fast the song will be scrolling at.
Stops = Places where the chart movement's and rhythm stop for a moment.

*Groove Radar = A map measuring the elements of each song; Voltage, Stream, Chaos, Freeze, and Air.
*Voltage = Peak density of steps
*Air = Number of jumps in a song
*Stream = Overall density of steps
*Chaos = Irregularity of steps
*Freeze = Number of freeze steps; also refers to the step that requires the player to hold an arrow for some defined time.

L = Left
R = Right
D = Down
U = Up
Staircase = LUDR, RDUL, LDUR or RUDL
Jacks = 2 or more consecutive arrows that require you to step on the same panel (I.E. DD, RRR, UUUU)
*Crossover = A step pattern that requires you to turn your body in order to alternate feet (I.E. LDR, RUL,). Also refers to crossing between two pads during doubles play.
Pseudo Crossover = a step pattern that mimics a crossover in execution but doesn't require you to turn your body. (I.E URD, DLU)
Candle = see pseudo crossover
Death Run = A long stream of notes going at high speed filled with an assortment of crossovers, staircases, candles, and/or jumps usually at/near the end of a song
Trills = A stream of arrows requiring you to alternate feet on the same two panels (I.E DUDUDU, LRLRLRLRLR, ULULUL)
Jackhammer stream = See trills
Spins = Step patterns that force you to spin (I.E LDRU, RULD)
*Gallops = Any isolated pair of successive 16th notes and sounds like a horse "galloping" when hit properly. In faster songs, gallops are 8th notes instead.
The Heavens! The Earth! And a million squirrels call to me! Huh? What...they don't?
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab54/zivrewards/ZIV%20Award%20Committee/FELMDemon.png

Post #2 · Posted at 2008-11-15 02:54:46am 15.4 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

"I'm honestly pissed off."
FPC= Fully Protected Carrier
FC= Foreign Currency
Candle= An early light bulb
silenttype01: Kyzentun is never harsh. He says it how it is.

GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Post #3 · Posted at 2008-11-15 03:08:56am 15.4 years ago

Offline FELMDemon
FELMDemon Avatar Member
1,437 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-12-29

"o_O?"
You mind giving us the the DDR definition of a candle? Wink
The Heavens! The Earth! And a million squirrels call to me! Huh? What...they don't?
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab54/zivrewards/ZIV%20Award%20Committee/FELMDemon.png

Post #4 · Posted at 2008-11-15 04:13:00am 15.4 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

A candle is just ULD, DLU, URD, DRU, 3 steps, not four. What you listed for it is another form of staircase. You listed it as a pseudo crossover.

GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Post #5 · Posted at 2008-11-15 05:21:51am 15.4 years ago

Offline Silver Spirit
Silver Spirit Avatar Member
6,594 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-09-14

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2249-7707-55923DS Friend Code: 2578-3309-2697
"i was born at a very young age"
FMC = Full MARVELOUS!! combo

Post #6 · Posted at 2008-11-18 02:09:28am 15.4 years ago

Offline giuocob
giuocob Avatar Member
3 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-11-08

I'll put some common song abbreviations in.

FAXX: Fascination MaxX
FELM/FELMO: Fascination MaxX -Eternal Love Mix-
"What do you really want?": See "FELM"
CSFILSM: Can't Stop Fallin' In Love -Speed Mix-
PSMO: Paranoia Survivor Max Oni

Cata/Catastrophic: Any pre-DDRX 9-footer
Oni course: Another name for challenge courses
SDG: Single Digit Greats
AAAA: Fictional rating for a full marvelous combo

Equivalent difficulty ratings:
Light/Easy/Basic
Trick/Standard/Difficult
Heavy/Maniac/Expert
Challenge/Oni

Post #7 · Posted at 2008-11-18 02:40:24am 15.4 years ago

Offline boomba
boomba Avatar Member
11,698 Posts
Not Set
Reg. 2008-01-19

"~ The evolution has begun ! ~"
which one is correct? FPC or PFC ?

Post #8 · Posted at 2008-11-18 02:41:15am 15.4 years ago

Offline Oni-91
Oni-91 Avatar Moderator+
13,492 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2006-10-20

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-3445-5569-17913DS Friend Code: 008736577880
"Ambivalent Viennetta"
Stepjump: A pattern where a step is followed by a jump (or vice versa) an 8th measure or smaller after.
Carpet Mode: Playing without using a pad, to get a feel for the chart without being graded.
S4R: Short for Sudden Shuffle Step Step Revolution. Playing a chart on Heavy with the Sudden and Shuffle mods turned on.
Matrix Walk: A move used in freestyling, in which the player holds the bar and practically 'runs' across the screen. Can lead to severe machine damage, so is frowned upon.
ZIv Mod Squad: "I'm a trash panda now, don't worry about it"
Can you make music? ZENIUS -I- MANIA 2023 NEEDS YOU
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvT2ARPaQAAxRVX.jpg:large

Post #9 · Posted at 2008-11-18 02:49:17am 15.4 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

Quote: Oni-91
Matrix Walk: A move used in freestyling, in which the player holds the bar and practically 'runs' across the screen. Can lead to getting beat up by other players, so is frowned upon.

Post #10 · Posted at 2008-11-18 03:06:46am 15.4 years ago

Offline deliriousXD
deliriousXD Avatar Member+
1,652 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-08-08

"BACK IT UP BACK IT UP"

Post #11 · Posted at 2008-11-18 03:30:49am 15.4 years ago

Offline Mercury
Mercury Avatar Member+
807 Posts
United Kingdom
Reg. 2007-06-15

Since it was written in like... 2004 I think, many of the terms in the DDR Freak dictionary are outdated. For example, who uses the term "Bong Thomas", "Koshiru Shuffle", "S4R" or "Maniac" in current parlance?

http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/ddrsig/1229.png?t=1299671484

Post #12 · Posted at 2008-11-18 04:25:52am 15.4 years ago

Offline deliriousXD
deliriousXD Avatar Member+
1,652 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-08-08

"BACK IT UP BACK IT UP"
Quote: Mercury
Since it was written in like... 2004 I think, many of the terms in the DDR Freak dictionary are outdated. For example, who uses the term "Bong Thomas", "Koshiru Shuffle", "S4R" or "Maniac" in current parlance?

Quote: Oni-91
S4R: Short for Sudden Shuffle Step Step Revolution. Playing a chart on Heavy with the Sudden and Shuffle mods turned on.

Sure, a good handful of the terms are outdated, but most are still in use. I mainly just linked just so people can pick out ones that are still being used.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/User%20Names/deliriousXD.png http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/Song%20Title/dxbd.png

Post #13 · Posted at 2008-11-18 04:36:57am 15.4 years ago

Offline FELMDemon
FELMDemon Avatar Member
1,437 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-12-29

"o_O?"
Thanks for the link. I'll fill in the gaps later.

Post #14 · Posted at 2008-11-18 04:48:14am 15.4 years ago

Offline Silver Spirit
Silver Spirit Avatar Member
6,594 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-09-14

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2249-7707-55923DS Friend Code: 2578-3309-2697
"i was born at a very young age"
Apocalyptic: The new name of a 10-footer, originally Catastrophic+.
Also, can't PFC also mean "Previous Full Combo"?
Thread Locked Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 4% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-04-23 23:30:51
This page took 0.014 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language