So I'm trying to convince my arcade...

Thread Locked Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2008-08-16 11:21:18am 15.5 years ago

Offline Goldensunboy
Goldensunboy Avatar Member
753 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-08

...to buy a Pump It Up: PRO cabinet, specifically the FX design. The current SuperNOVA 1 is not so super at all; the pads suck, there are no truly memorable highscores on the machine, and not enough players around that the public would make an uproar if the SN1 went. There isn't a whole lot of free space in the arcade currently, either, so why not replace it?

Any pointers on how I could go about doing this? My dad is a foot doctor and knows the owners of the arcade (very nice old people in their, maybe, 70's), if that helps at all. Also, they have been "planning" (yeah, right) to get SN2 for a half-year now.

My current game plan is to formally sit down with and present a document I compiled myself to the managers at the arcade. (or to the owners, if I find that the machines are directly owned by them) I include a convincing argument for replacing the current SN1 with the PRO machine. (limited to 1 page, because who cares if some fanatic writes a whole essay on the good points of some game you don't even care about?) I then describe details about the machine in two pages (should they actually care to see it's good points), slightly weighted towards the PIU machine and away from DDR.

Don't get the wrong idea, guys: I still enjoy DDR and have much respect for it, but these pads are just getting worse and worse so I'd rather it go. The best way to do that would be to write a convincing argument, which, unfortunately, would include my criticisms about DDR. My actual feelings about DDR are a lot better than what you'd think from what I have written. Also, I won't even need to go to the arcade for DDR anymore once the 3" BlueShark pads w/bar become available some time before 2018. Neutral

Also, could the people more knowledgeable about these subjects I wrote on please help me with factual corrections? Thanks.

ZOMG WORDS and COLORS
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/pictures/2301-1221291057.png

Post #2 · Posted at 2008-08-16 11:25:27am 15.5 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: maxninja1143DS Friend Code: 392661848995Game Center Nickname: maxninja114
"Charlie isn't real"
...nice document Puppy Face don't be surprised if they ask you for a job at the place lol

Post #3 · Posted at 2008-08-16 11:31:14am 15.5 years ago

Offline Goldensunboy
753 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-08

Thanks. Very Happy

I forgot to mention that I tried to compile a GA Pump It Up monthly income demographic, but two arcades I called had no PIU machine (I used the Pump Haven database), one place was a huge thing where the girl at the counter who answered me had no access to the monthly income, one place was a huge chain and the number gave me the headquartars instead, one place turned out to be a music shop that never even had one, and one final place the girl took my phone number and said the manager would get back to be on it. He hasn't called back yet, but I'm pretty sure he won't since he can't make any money off me.

Post #4 · Posted at 2008-08-16 11:37:36am 15.5 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

Nintendo Network ID: maxninja1143DS Friend Code: 392661848995Game Center Nickname: maxninja114
"Charlie isn't real"
lol i liked this one part withing the document on how Naoki can't get around to answering player responses while the developer of Pump It Up does? i lol'd at that, but that is somewhat nice to see that the developer of a game has time to recieve and send back player responses and stuff...

...and yea, i'm a little bit of a PIU player myself, but i'm not really into it, i just play whenever i go to a Chuck E. Cheeses around my area (the only places around here that actually have a Pump It Up Pro FX) i can say it is a pretty "unique" game, i only play on the medium difficulty, due to you have to use the sideways buttons and the middle button too...i have never heard that you use three buttons at the same time with that game (i only knew that ITG had something like that...the HARD way lol)...well hopefully the owners or managers see this and hopefully it might change their minds about getting SN2...

btw, i would suggest you get a PIU machine rather than a SN2 machine...why? DDR X is almost here, and what better way to make more money than with a VERY popular game? huh? HUH? lol Laughing Hard

Post #5 · Posted at 2008-08-16 11:42:31am 15.5 years ago

Offline Goldensunboy
753 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-08

Meh, PRO is also pretty popular, and it would be the first PRO machine in Georgia.

Also, I'd again like to put extra emphasis on how I puposefully weighted this article against DDR, even though I'm an avid DDR player. Oops It actually hurt a little for me to type some of this, but it must be convincing.

Post #6 · Posted at 2008-08-16 11:47:29am 15.5 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

"Charlie isn't real"
Quote: Goldensunboy
Meh, PRO is also pretty popular, and it would be the first PRO machine in Georgia.

Also, I'd again like to put extra emphasis on how I puposefully weighted this article against DDR, even though I'm an avid DDR player. Oops It actually hurt a little for me to type some of this, but it must be convincing.
i know, sometimes you have to put down things that you really like, just to convince someone...and yea the document is VERY convincing, but your doing your job to convince the owners to get a PIU Pro machine...if you do your job, congrats! if not, then it was a VERY nice try, but you just didn't convince them enough...but idk, this document looks very convincing (to me lol).

Why does it feel like this is top-secret? talking about documents....007 s*** lol

Post #7 · Posted at 2008-08-16 11:51:13am 15.5 years ago

Offline Goldensunboy
753 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-08

Dunno. At least, if the words don't phase them, they've got shinies and colors in the last two pages. Big Grin And I actually used Photoshop for something, holy cow.

I want my dad, who knows the owners well, to call them and ask them who to talk to. Not only will I get a straight answer, but they may tell the person to actually read my report. Laughing Out Loud

Post #8 · Posted at 2008-08-16 11:55:46am 15.5 years ago

Offline Max
Max Avatar Member+
8,111 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-05

"Charlie isn't real"
LOL well hey, best of luck, and ummm hopefully update us with anything that happens =)

Post #9 · Posted at 2008-08-16 12:57:08pm 15.5 years ago

Offline CoreyBlaze
CoreyBlaze Avatar Member
452 Posts
Puerto Rico
Reg. 2006-10-23

PRO isn't popular at all, shunned by BOTH hardcore 5-panel and 4-panel veterans. As someone said, either wait for X or get a real PIU game since it's worth the same as PRO AFAIK.

Post #10 · Posted at 2008-08-16 01:02:11pm 15.5 years ago

Offline deliriousXD
deliriousXD Avatar Member+
1,652 Posts
United States
Reg. 2006-08-08

"BACK IT UP BACK IT UP"
You should've suggested they get an NX2, since it's so frickin amazing with its WORLD MAX mode! But then again, I have yet to play a Pro... I think Pro would be weird compared to previous Pump games, since the note colors follow the whole 4th, 8th, 16th, etc. color style rather than the original style.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/User%20Names/deliriousXD.png http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/lordtoon/Song%20Title/dxbd.png

Post #11 · Posted at 2008-08-16 01:02:12pm 15.5 years ago

Offline Goldensunboy
753 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-08

It was more popular than anything else in Wildwood, NJ's Ed's Funcade, except for the ITG machines (which were played on the same amount)

The nearby SuperNOVA 2 didn't receive nearly as much attention as the PIU PRO FX did, and I certainly enjoyed this more than any 4-panel experience I've ever had in DDR.

Also, I'm not even concerned about DDR X because I can play simfiles for the songs on StepMania when I get the BlueSharks. I know StepMania can't emulate shock arrows, but who cares for gimmicks? I just want step patterns. Cool

So PIU at the arcade and DDR at home would opt for a better variety of dancing.

Also, I liked the "NOTE" color scheme for the arrows. Smile

Post #12 · Posted at 2008-08-16 01:58:37pm 15.5 years ago

Offline Kon
Kon Avatar Member
1,288 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-07-02

"OMG KON!"
well dealing with businesses can be very stressful. Its basically a matter of how you want it done, and how it will get done.

You have to show the arcade operators they are going to make money off the machine, and not lose money. You need to show PRO's advantages over DDR (pads are a big one, expansion packs for free, low maintenance compared to DDR, and the cabinet is very eye appealing to players).

Yes, it would seem sitting down and having a chat would be the best way to go. Also giving the owners the contact information, and how to get the machine is a great help as well.

Post #13 · Posted at 2008-08-16 02:20:26pm 15.5 years ago

Offline Pie-kun
Pie-kun Avatar Member+
6,172 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-03-25

"On ZiV I'm like Princess Diana"
Well, let me put in my two cents.

My first thought when reading this was "LONG". It may seem to make sense to put in all the points we can to make our argument stronger, but a good general rule of thumb when writing these things is that short and sweet is the way to go.

Now, here's some things I wanted to point out.

-Pointing out one specific location example is not a good way to make your point. Making general statements like PIU having a larger fanbase without having any statistics to back it up makes it look more opinion than anything else.

-Besides you mentioning your brother and assuming opinions of some other players, you don't really provide any solid foundation for your argument that PIU Pro would bring out more players. I would recommend gathering some kind of petition to provide him with signatures of players who would play a PIU PRO machine if it were to come.

-The features section needs shortening...BAD. Once again, short and sweet is the best way to go. The whole screen feature can be summed up as "The PIU PRO cabinet uses a high definition screen and is wider than those available on current DDR machines".

-There's a bit too much of your own personal opinion in here. The recipient knows that you like the game, so you can take out most of that stuff to make it shorter.

Quote: originator
As opposed to Dance Dance Revolution that mostly features European songs and “J-Pop”

Ok, I'm really sorry, but that's just dumb lol. I know you're trying to convince your arcade to get PIU, but we all know DDR features a larger variety of music than 'mostly European songs and J-Pop' lololol.

Post #14 · Posted at 2008-08-17 12:37:13am 15.5 years ago

Offline Goldensunboy
753 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-08

Quote: piepiepie75
As opposed to Dance Dance Revolution that mostly features European songs and “J-Pop”

Ok, I'm really sorry, but that's just dumb lol. I know you're trying to convince your arcade to get PIU, but we all know DDR features a larger variety of music than 'mostly European songs and J-Pop' lololol.

Okay, I'll take this out. Laughing Out Loud

Okay then, I'll shorten the sections, and try to eliminate opinion. It sure is hard to type an argument for something you want without adding a touch of opinion. Neutral

I will go ahead and try to gather information from the local players, I only know 3 other people besides me and my brother who at least play semi-frequently.

They are at least familiar with this game and have played before, but would it be a bad idea to suggest to them that we replace the current machine with PIU? Or should I rewrite my argument to not include the removal of the SN1?

Quote: piepiepie75
The whole screen feature can be summed up as "The PIU PRO cabinet uses a high definition screen and is wider than those available on current DDR machines".
I'll definitely try to sound more like this now.

~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, I revised my report. It's not complete though, since I have to gain support from other regulars. I removed the whole "replace SuperNOVA" theme, and tried to eliminate opinion from the details section. I might still have to work on the first page a bit. Neutral At least it's whittled down to 3 pages now, excluding the promotional flyer.

Revised document

Post #15 · Posted at 2008-08-17 01:00:02am 15.5 years ago

Offline Pie-kun
Pie-kun Avatar Member+
6,172 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-03-25

Quote: Goldensunboy

They are at least familiar with this game and have played before, but would it be a bad idea to suggest to them that we replace the current machine with PIU? Or should I rewrite my argument to not include the removal of the SN1?

Well, I imagine that you would have to give them assurance that the game would recieve significantly more play than the SN machine, which could be a bit hard. For now, I'd stick with just getting the PIU machine.

Oh, and the link isn't working for me VB.

Post #16 · Posted at 2008-08-17 01:04:18am 15.5 years ago

Offline Goldensunboy
753 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-08

1asphost is a bit iffy, if anything I post hosted by them doesn't work, refresh the page after some 30 seconds and try again. It works for me right now. They're pretty much always online, but suffer from short downtimes of a minute or so at a time. Weird.

Alright, I'll stick with the "keep SN1" idea.

Post #17 · Posted at 2008-08-17 01:21:45am 15.5 years ago

Offline Pie-kun
Pie-kun Avatar Member+
6,172 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-03-25

Hmm, ok it's working now for me.

The features section is still too long, and try to insert things that would make it appealing from an arcade manager's standpoint.

For example:

The dance pads feature extremely responsive sensors, even more so than DDR. They are durable, and allow players to have a much fuller dance game experience.
]

Change to:

The dance pads are equipped with responsive sensors and are very durable, so they require only seldom maintenance.

Also, you took most of the opinion stuff out, but there's still a little bit of unneccessary information in there. For example.

This game offers a wide variety of music, from Korean, to techno, to classical, to all sorts of western-style music. I frequently even find myself humming tunes that I’ve heard from Pump It Up: PRO.

Change to

The game features such a huge variety of music, from Techno to Classical, this game features music that appeals to a wide range of players.

Post #18 · Posted at 2008-08-17 01:32:22am 15.5 years ago

Offline Goldensunboy
753 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-08

It looks like this now:

- Physical Features
- Screen:
Pump It Up: PRO [FX] uses a 42” high-definition screen wider than those available for current DDR models.
- Speakers:
Pump It Up: PRO [FX] has two high-quality subwoofers near the dance pads, and two treble speakers located under the screen. They are positioned such that the dancer hears and feels that beat while on stage.
- Dance pads:
The dance pads are equipped with responsive sensors and are very durable, so they require only seldom maintenance.

- Gameplay
- Music:
This game offers a wide variety of music, from techno, to classical, to all sorts of musics appealing to the western culture.
- Style:
Pump It Up: PRO features five panels you step on, opting for highly varied dance routines. Some dances require you to use your hands - this game is about engaging the entire body at once.
- Controls:
Pump It Up: PRO [FX] has straightforward controls that allow you to add modifiers to your song so that playing the game is more enjoyable, as opposed to Dance Dance Revolution and older mixes of Pump It Up, where you must memorize and step certain patterns on the dance mat to add different modifiers – this game is much more beginner friendly.
- Modes:
The game feature multiple styles of gameplay - five-panel singles, six-panel half doubles, ten-panel doubles, mission mode, and the stamina-testing marathon mode.

- Special features
- Easy updates
Pump It Up: PRO [FX] features a free, easy-to-use update system where you can download the newest software update for the machine off the PIU developers’ wiki, and update the machine through its USB ports, without the hassle of an install CD.
- Custom step-charts
Users can write their own step patterns using a free downloadable program at home. The sky’s the limit as far as game difficulty and flashy step variations go!
- Personal stats
Pump It Up: PRO [FX] allows users to save their own personal highscores for any particular song and difficulty. It also allows you to input your weight, so the machine can tell you how many calories you’ve burned playing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notice I removed the Developer interaction section - I don't think that's really relevant.

Post #19 · Posted at 2008-08-17 01:38:47am 15.5 years ago

Offline Pie-kun
Pie-kun Avatar Member+
6,172 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-03-25

Yes, that looks a lot better now.

Post #20 · Posted at 2008-08-17 01:55:53am 15.5 years ago

Offline Goldensunboy
753 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-08

I will try to shave off anything unneeded on the first page, to shorten the reading.

My next obligation is to ask some people who play DDR what their opinion is of obtaining a PIU PRO FX machine, and specify that the plan is to ask them for a PIU machine, that will not neccissarily replace the SuperNOVA.

Hmm, I could ask:

-Chris "CHRIS.W": My brother, duh, easy signature there. He's the biggest PIU fanatic I know.
-Elliot "E.H.AMOS": One of my long-time buddies who may or may not endorse this, but certainly wouldn't have done so if the SN1 was replaced.
-Stephen "STEPHEN": One of my brother's long-time friends, who usually seems eager to try new stuff. I think he would actually want to play this.
-Reggie "SOUP": The biggest regular besides me, he has played this game and would certainly endorse me.
-Adam "ADAM": Another used-to-be regular, this guy should endorse but I only saw him one time in the last ~14 months, so getting a hold of him would be tough.
-Bo "BOBO": One more regular who I rarely see at the arcade, but beats some of my highscores and at least goes to the local college I will be attending.

My endorsement should go unsaid, with the writing of this whole thing, so I will not include that.

Do you think I should bring a sheet of paper with me here and there and try to get these signatures in writing, then scan them into an extra page of the report? Or is that a little much?
Thread Locked Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 4% · Database: 8% · Server Time: 2024-03-19 09:27:15
This page took 0.007 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language