Metal Pad!

Thread Locked Back To Forums

Post #1 · Posted at 2008-07-23 04:22:11am 15.6 years ago

Offline goemon4
goemon4 Avatar Member
58 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-18

Yes! I just got a new Afterburner metal pad, it's very nice and all, but I have two questions...

1. Is it safe to play, like ITG 10's-12's on a second floor?
2. Is it safe to really step on these things?

I don't play to light footed at the arcade, and I expect I can do the same, but I'm afraid I may break through the floor or something. I live in a fairly new house (Constructed in '00) but I'm still a bit cautious to even step on this thing... I know, dumb question, but I had to ask...

Thanks
I hate DDR, but just cant stop playing it...

Post #2 · Posted at 2008-07-23 04:30:42am 15.6 years ago

Offline Pandemonium X
Pandemonium X Avatar Member
10,358 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-04-06

Nintendo Network ID: PandemoniumEJPNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2916-7192-8116
Quote: goemon4
Is it safe to play, like ITG 10's-12's on a second floor
If you don't feel safe with it on a second floor, can't you move it to the 1st or basement?

Is it safe to really step on these things?
IT'S METAL! as long as you don't hit them as hard as you can on, you'er fine.

Post #3 · Posted at 2008-07-23 04:40:00am 15.6 years ago

Offline goemon4
goemon4 Avatar Member
58 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-18

I can play on the first floor, but I cant bring my whole computer down. That and the room I play in is really echoes so the rest of the family doesn't like it. So it's tough to play down there at times, unlike in my room, which is on the second floor.

And I know its metal, lol, I'm just paranoid. (My last 3 pads, all foam, broke after 2 weeks of playing, one ripped in half) so I guess that's just me being stupid there...

Post #4 · Posted at 2008-07-23 04:46:32am 15.6 years ago

Offline Pandemonium X
Pandemonium X Avatar Member
10,358 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-04-06

Nintendo Network ID: PandemoniumEJPNintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2916-7192-8116
I can play on the first floor, but I cant bring my whole computer down. That and the room I play in is really echoes so the rest of the family doesn't like it. So it's tough to play down there at times, unlike in my room, which is on the second floor.
That is a problem.Confused

Post #5 · Posted at 2008-07-23 05:03:51am 15.6 years ago

Offline goemon4
goemon4 Avatar Member
58 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-18

Yeah, I know, but I guess I'm stuck playing on the second floor, oh well, though I may be able to set something up...

(Thinking back, this was a retarded topic to start, lol)

Post #6 · Posted at 2008-07-23 06:42:27am 15.6 years ago

Offline adh2008
adh2008 Avatar Banned
317 Posts
Australia
Reg. 2008-02-17

You could play in socks.
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/thumb/1/12/Za_warudo_garfield.jpg/120px-Za_warudo_garfield.jpg

Post #7 · Posted at 2008-07-23 06:56:56am 15.6 years ago

Offline AnxD
AnxD Avatar Member
1,217 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-01

"Ready!?"
Or you could set the Metal Pad on carpet on the first floor Big Grin?

Post #8 · Posted at 2008-07-23 12:32:52pm 15.6 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

"I'm honestly pissed off."
Depending on the construction of the metal pad, playing in socks may do nothing to decrease step noise. Just listen to a few of my videos on youtube, where I play on CFs, my feet are noisy because of the lexan hitting the actual button.

As for whether it'll break the floor, doubtful. It'll probably be more annoying to your family than being on the first floor would.

As for whether the pad will break, well, it's a metal pad. They're meant to be used for 10s and up. Unless you got a truly crap one, it should be just fine. I've heard mixed reports about Afterburners, so it may just be the luck of the draw, and you won't know until a couple months have gone by without it breaking.

And for the record, I'm paying $100 extra a month in rent for my apartment, just to make sure there's nobody below me. I really do believe it's best to play on the lowest floor in the building. Keeps complaints down, if nothing else.
silenttype01: Kyzentun is never harsh. He says it how it is.

GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Post #9 · Posted at 2008-07-23 12:57:22pm 15.6 years ago

Offline Goldensunboy
Goldensunboy Avatar Member
753 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-08

I've owned two afterburners, one lasted 2 months and the other lasted a little over a year. Good pads, responsive, etc., but they will break eventually if you're playing 10's and up. At first it was a wire coming loose on an arrow, which I soldered back on, but they both broke eventually in such a way that I couldn't reach whatever was wrong with them. (you can't possibly fully disassemble the thing Mad)

They are safe to step on, as long as you wear shoes and socks. Maybe just socks, but never barefoot. I tore the skin on the bottom of my foot halfway through Energizer Expert by trying to play barefoot because I was too lazy to put on shoes; always wear them!

It's safe to play it on the second floor if the building is constructed properly. 99.9% sure the floor won't cave in, go ahead. Smile
http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/pictures/2301-1221291057.png

Post #10 · Posted at 2008-07-23 05:21:49pm 15.6 years ago

Offline -dcx-
-dcx- Avatar Member
4 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-10

I know this is going slightly off topic, but does anyone here have experience with the CobaltFlux pads (www.cobaltflux.com)? I would love to buy some of those, however I am a bit unsure about them. I mean, they look great and all, and for the high price I should expect professional quality, but I've never really heard much about them other than from their website. Then again, I don't normally go through forums checking for such reviews. So, any opinions?

Oh, and also to the OP: You will most definitely NOT break through the second floor. Even if you somehow managed that, it'd be a good laugh afterward, I swear it. Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice on the Afterburner pads, as I have never played on one, much less owned one. And socks will less likely reduce noise than they will cause you some sort of bodily harm when you're doing 10-footers and you slip off the pad. I have a metal pad (broke recently after about 4 years of on-and-off use) and I never played on it with socks or shoes, and I think that contributed to its long life. If you can learn to live by playing on a pad with the lexan panels (or whatever plastic your panels are composed of) without shoes, you will be better off in the long run, IMO.
"See? I'm a visionary, I'm ahead of my time. Trouble is, I'm only about an hour and a half ahead." -George Carlin

Post #11 · Posted at 2008-07-23 11:33:01pm 15.6 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

I have a Cobalt Flux pair I bought in October of last year. They're pretty good. I do high 9s and low 10s on them frequently, and they haven't degraded at all.
You can use socks on them, but try a few different sock materials, as different socks will grip the lexan differently. With bare feet, I get too much grip to be able to turn easily, until the pad gets wet from the sweat, then I tend to slip occasionally. Only downside to using socks is that you will rip holes in the socks, mostly from moving your feet over the screws during high speed runs.

Downside is, depending on whether they slide on your surface, you might not be able to use the doubles bar to attach them. Mine work their way free of the doubles bar after several hours of play. After they'd separated ~20 or so times, my brother noticed hairline cracks on the bottoms of the pads, going to the screw holes. I stopped doing doubles on them after that, at least until I can get a large wooden frame to put around the outside. I want a wooden frame anyway, to reduce injuries from stepping halfway off the pads.

If you're wondering how much space they take up, they're 1 inch thick, so you can slide them under a sofa or some such if you need them out of the way.
They're ~20lbs each, so they don't slide much, but it really depends on what they're on, and the step patterns. In most of my videos, it doesn't move at all, but in the long Eternus video, it moves nearly a foot.

If you're planning to do Pump style stuff, make sure you get the Pump compatible control box that supports the center button. Other wise, you'll probably get the Red Octane control box, and not be able to do any Pump stuff.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, they don't have a bar, or any way to attach one. You'll have to set up your own work around (dedi walker) if you need a bar.

GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Post #12 · Posted at 2008-07-24 03:34:34am 15.6 years ago

Offline goemon4
goemon4 Avatar Member
58 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-18

@ Kyzentun - Yeah, like i said, I was just being paranoid, I was playing a few 9's on it and it seemed to work fine. I was getting scores around 90% (I actually single stared Hybrid) so everything seems good. As far as the second floor thing goes, I'm just not going to play up there to much, my folks aren't home till later so I should be fine playing anywhere in the house till then. (But an extra 100 a month? That's dedication!) Big Grin

@ Goldensunboy - Yeah, mine seems to be working pretty well, I know they will eventually break, but depending on when I may choose to invest in another, even if it holds up for a year, I say it was better than paying 250ish for 3 foam pads which lasted 2 months. (They just kept breaking!) But I'll make sure to never try that (Playing barefoot) that sounds pretty brutal though, Devil

@ -dcx- - lol, yeah, it would be funny, but I would like to avoid it XD . But it says to play with shoes on, and I actually feel better playing with them, I cant play in just socks though. I had to do that at the arcade once (Shoe was untied half way through Sakura so I kicked it off) and I almost slipped off the pad.

Post #13 · Posted at 2008-07-24 06:27:01am 15.6 years ago

Offline -dcx-
-dcx- Avatar Member
4 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-10

@ Kyzentun - Thanks for the info! Yeah, I knew about the bars bot being there, but seeing as how I never play with them anyway...well, I feel obligated to on the arcades, but at home I never use any sort of similar aid. Storage isn't a problem for me, but that's good to know that they are that thin. My pads will be on carpet, so we'll see how much they slip because my old metal pad never really moved too much. It was nice...especially since that was my first pad other than the crappy flat pad that came with DDR Konamix (assuming you can remember back that far). At least the flat pads now are made better and don't crumple up as much, but the originals...just...no, not worth it. I would like a wooden outer box like you are speaking of, but then again I'm under the impression that slipping won't be a problem, so we'll just have to see how that works out... And as for Pump, I've been wanting to try that for a while, so at least I was able to get confirmation from someone that it is playable on these pads, 'cause I tried e-mailing CobaltFlux and they never responded. Anyway, thanks again!

@ goemon4 - Hmm...well, I suppose they tell you to play with shoes on so they can avoid lawsuit from foot injury, but I wouldn't do that on my pad because it seemed like the panels would crack much easier that way. I was fine with not using shoes, in general, but you have to get use to the fact that your feet will be a bit sore at first and you may develop some callouses. As for your arcade story...that sucks. I remember being at Six Flags where they have a DDR MAX2 machine and I was playing in thong sandals, which was very hard, but I decided that my last song was going to be MAX 300 on Heavy anyway. I was juts going to play with my sandals off, until I started the song and realized I left x2 on, and let's just say that MAX 600 is not fun, not to mention an embarrassing failure. Laughing Hard
"See? I'm a visionary, I'm ahead of my time. Trouble is, I'm only about an hour and a half ahead." -George Carlin

Post #14 · Posted at 2008-07-24 07:25:42am 15.6 years ago

Offline Kyzentun
Kyzentun Avatar Member
3,209 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-02-20

Oh, one thing about being on carpet, pad movement varies with the kind of carpet. How dense it is, and how long it is will both affect it. I haven't done any real experiments to measure out exactly how it varies though.

I need to get a pair of Pump compatible control boxes myself, I messed up when I ordered my pads. >_>

Post #15 · Posted at 2008-07-24 10:06:00am 15.6 years ago

Offline -dcx-
-dcx- Avatar Member
4 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-10

>.>;;
Well, in terms of my carpet, I think it should be fine if the other pad held out as well as it did. We'll see, I guess.
Is Pump really any harder than DDR, or is it just the whole getting used to four corners and a center button that makes it a bit challenging at first?

Post #16 · Posted at 2008-07-25 10:16:18am 15.6 years ago

Offline goemon4
goemon4 Avatar Member
58 Posts
United States
Reg. 2007-10-18

Lol @ the Max 300 thing... And Pump is hard for various reasons, that is just one factor. Other things being like there are generally tougher charts, but its like any game really. You just need to get used to it, and you will do good. I know some people who play it fine along with DDR. On the other hand, i also know someone who is amazing at pump, has been playing for years, and cant play ddr for anything. I don't know, its different for some people, but its fun none the less. (I actually prefer a lot of its songs over official DDR songs.)

Also, the pad is holding up well, I actually have been using it a lot (I literally played all day yesterday, i couldnt play at the arcade for anything today, my calfs were to sore) but its holding up. Again, my first post was all paranoia, my mom actually laughed at me when i said i thought i may fall through the floor, and responded "We have concrete floors" and a whole joke which pretty much said i was an idiot. Confused

Post #17 · Posted at 2008-08-05 07:29:31am 15.6 years ago

Offline -dcx-
-dcx- Avatar Member
4 Posts
United States
Reg. 2008-01-10

Heh, that's funny. Concrete floors...who would've thunk it.
Very Happy
And yeah, I figured there was some paranoia behind that first post. It seemed a little odd. Annoyed
Thread Locked Back To Forums

0 User(s) Viewing This Thread (Past 15 Minutes)

©2006-2024 Zenius -I- vanisher.com -5th style- IIPrivacy Policy
Web Server: 3% · Database: 4% · Server Time: 2024-03-28 13:08:08
This page took 0.013 seconds to execute.
Theme: starlight · Language: englishuk
Reset Theme & Language